Buying a computer? Some suggestions

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Carmen5
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: Buying a computer? Some suggestions

Post by Carmen5 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:36 am

I too have this issue as I love computers but when it comes to hardware I don't know much about what you need to be able run games such as Wolf Quest on the highest video/graphic settings. Any ideas on what graphics card I need and then If I have the certain graphics card do I need to upgrade the other areas of my pc?

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:18 am

Hm, possibly. Depends on your computer, honestly. If you don't have a very powerful CPU, your computer won't be able to handle a good graphics card, or at least will not utilise it to its full potential. This is why there's a good chance you're better off buying or building a completely new computer as opposed to just buying a new graphics card.

The good news is WolfQuest runs fine on weaker graphics cards (although on low settings), so if you ever end up investing in a gaming pc or one of the computers listed on the first post, you will likely end up having no problems whatsoever with WolfQuest on higher settings.

rainiepainie
Pup
Pup

Post by rainiepainie » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:37 pm

Carmen5 wrote:I too have this issue as I love computers but when it comes to hardware I don't know much about what you need to be able run games such as Wolf Quest on the highest video/graphic settings. Any ideas on what graphics card I need and then If I have the certain graphics card do I need to upgrade the other areas of my pc?
Im pretty sure the cheapest GPUs (for laptops anyway) that can run it on max settings are the nvidia geforce 930m, or 840m. They're considered low-mid tier GPUs yet run the game smoothly. (on max settings) You'd want at least an i5 for the game to run at about or at 60FPS, or a newer gen i3. For AMDs i have no idea. Also my post right before yours includes a great laptop meeting these requirements.
Keep in mind I do not build PCs nor do i work in a job involving building/fixing computers, this is all knowledge gained from research and experience.

By the way, what CPU do you have? If its a fast processor, then you could upgrade the GPU to any newer kind (but not just any nvidia/dedicated card will run WQ max settings. i had a desktop with a 2008 nvidia card and it couldnt run WQ smoothly on max settings). It doesn't matter if the gpu is low/mid/high tier, i think it matters more of when it was made. (BUT, this may not apply to the GTX cards- those are beasts lol) The newer cards run this game much smoother. And to be honest, compared to all the popular pc games, the graphics of this one aren't too hardcore so you don't need the super fancy cards. Unless you have the money.

kamkaran
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by kamkaran » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:53 pm

Thanks for letting us know such important info Dave :) :) :)
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.

Maertice

Post by Maertice » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:12 pm

Thanks. I've been look for a new laptop but I wish this one..but I'm not sure will the game run.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:42 pm

Lamar Canyon wrote:Thanks. I've been look for a new laptop but I wish this one..but I'm not sure will the game run.
The laptop you provided uses Intel HD 520 integrated graphics, so probably not. Read more under "Gaming Performance" here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspir ... 894.0.html

Maertice

Post by Maertice » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:39 am

Koa wrote:
Lamar Canyon wrote:Thanks. I've been look for a new laptop but I wish this one..but I'm not sure will the game run.
The laptop you provided uses Intel HD 520 integrated graphics, so probably not. Read more under "Gaming Performance" here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspir ... 894.0.html
Hmm..what if I'll install the Windows 7 to? Does it matter?

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:32 am

Lamar Canyon wrote:
Koa wrote:
Hmm..what if I'll install the Windows 7 to? Does it matter?
Operating system won't make a difference. The graphics card is the problem.

Kelvin
Pup
Pup

Post by Kelvin » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:10 pm

Rain wrote:Thank you! I'll take a look at these. My old computer has Linux nowadays so it can't handle WQ. And even if it has Windows, I don't know how smooth it would be. Are those what I call "monster machines" (gaming computers)? I mean, does WQ need a gaming computer to run smoothly?
I've gotten the single-player game to run through Wine on Mint 17.2. My system is a Toshiba Satellite, model L755D-something.
"My home is not a place. It is people, sir."
-Aral Vorkosigan, Barrayar

"You can get a lot of things done in dreams."
Brian Jacques

AktiviaGoose
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by AktiviaGoose » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:51 am

this is very cool information got me

Chinuk
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Chinuk » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:26 am

Hello, I have purchased a new computer. I had previously owned the game on my laptop, but I didn't buy through steam. Do I have to buy the game again?

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:40 am

@Chinuk: Nope. Once you've purchased the game, you can follow the instructions provided in the WolfQuest FAQ topic linked below to retrieve it.
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

Maisaris
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Maisaris » Sun May 28, 2017 10:22 am

I'm looking for a new laptop, and I've three options but I've no idea will the game run good on high quality or run at all..
Note: The text is installed in Finnish
Laptop one, Acer Aspire Signature Edition
Laptop two, HP Stream
Laptop three, HP Pavilion

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Sun May 28, 2017 10:35 am

Maisaris wrote:I'm looking for a new laptop, and I've three options but I've no idea will the game run good on high quality or run at all..
Laptop two, HP Stream
From what I can tell out of a quick glance, the first two don't have a dedicated graphics card. You should be fine with the third one (the HP Pavilion), though!

Pegasos
Pup
Pup
Name: Maisa, Masaa

Post by Pegasos » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:07 am

Maisaris wrote:I'm looking for a new laptop, and I've three options but I've no idea will the game run good on high quality or run at all..
Laptop two, HP Stream
I've HP Pavilion and game works pretty well on high quality, so I recommend that.
av by LupinzPack

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”