Buying a computer? Some suggestions

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Re: Buying a computer? Some suggestions

Post by Phasoli » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:07 pm

I'm not very fluent with computers and their specs, but I've managed to run WQ fairly well on my Surface Pro 3 since the new game was released. Unfortunately, it's going into retirement now. I'm thinking of replacing it with an iMac. Does anyone know how well WQ might run on an iMac? I've heard that mac computers usually aren't as well equipped for gaming, but prove me wrong, haha.
||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||ЖЖЖ||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||
Writing is a job, a talent,
but it's also the place to go inside your head.
It's the imaginary friend you drink tea
with in the afternoon.
||,.°`°.,||Ж||,.°`°.,||
sig/quote © Kamaal/Ann Patchett

Adelithos
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Harriet

Post by Adelithos » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:49 pm

I’ve been having so many issues with my Mac lately. While I love Apple products, it’s getting annoying to have the laptop fixed three times in a few months near the end of the warranty. But I’m probably going to sell it once I get it back. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for Windows 10 laptops that work fine with WQ and lightweight gaming as well as other general stuff??

Kereudio
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Maya

Post by Kereudio » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:15 pm

Adelithos wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:49 pm
I’ve been having so many issues with my Mac lately. While I love Apple products, it’s getting annoying to have the laptop fixed three times in a few months near the end of the warranty. But I’m probably going to sell it once I get it back. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for Windows 10 laptops that work fine with WQ and lightweight gaming as well as other general stuff??
I'm pretty sure that for WQ3 you'll definitely be wanting a dedicated graphics card. Here's a Lenovo IdeaPad and a Lenovo Thinkpad which is a brand I definitely stand by (I personally own an IdeaPad and it has lasted me 4+ years and counting. My dad owns a ThinkPad that has thus far lasted even longer.) Here's a ton of Republic of Gamers branded ASUS laptops.

I went off assuming you have about the same budget as you did when you bought your Mac, so hopefully none of these are too pricey for you!
I was writing in order to live.
osamu dazai

av: lupinzpack

Adelithos
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Harriet

Post by Adelithos » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:12 pm

Kereudio wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:15 pm
Adelithos wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:49 pm
I'm pretty sure that for WQ3 you'll definitely be wanting a dedicated graphics card. Here's a Lenovo IdeaPad and a Lenovo Thinkpad which is a brand I definitely stand by (I personally own an IdeaPad and it has lasted me 4+ years and counting. My dad owns a ThinkPad that has thus far lasted even longer.) Here's a ton of Republic of Gamers branded ASUS laptops.

I went off assuming you have about the same budget as you did when you bought your Mac, so hopefully none of these are too pricey for you!
Thank you! I'll definitely consider one of those options.

I got my laptop back, however, not fixed because they were going to charge me for some cosmetic damage (which is very light and so on). So I'm just stuck with a bad screen for now… which is annoying. :( I might take it to a place and see how much I can get for it either way. Hopefully enough to put towards something more reliable.

alebrije
Yearling
Yearling

Post by alebrije » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:09 am

This topic is a life-saver as I’m in the market currently! Thank you guys!

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:27 am

Tascalusa wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:09 am
This topic is a life-saver as I’m in the market currently! Thank you guys!
Do be mindful of the fact that the original post is pretty much outdated by now -- the market moves fast! Feel free to bounce any purchase ideas off of the kind people in here, though; from what I've seen plenty of people are happy to share their hardware knowledge or assist in research.

alebrije
Yearling
Yearling

Post by alebrije » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:49 am

paperpaws wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:27 am
Do be mindful of the fact that the original post is pretty much outdated by now -- the market moves fast! Feel free to bounce any purchase ideas off of the kind people in here, though; from what I've seen plenty of people are happy to share their hardware knowledge or assist in research.
Oh silly me, I did not even think to look at the date! Thank you PaperPaws for the heads up! Where would be a suitable forum to make a topic for the subject? I’d hate to place the topic in the wrong area!

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Name: Frodo/Jay

Post by Frodo1 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:20 pm

Tascalusa wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:49 am
Oh silly me, I did not even think to look at the date! Thank you PaperPaws for the heads up! Where would be a suitable forum to make a topic for the subject? I’d hate to place the topic in the wrong area!
You don't even need to make a new topic-- you can ask your questions right here :) Lots of us are happy to help-- what kind of computers are you looking at?
JayPlays on YouTube
Nature and wildlife gaming videos the whole family can enjoy!
Join the adventure here
Av/Sig © me

alebrije
Yearling
Yearling

Post by alebrije » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:06 pm

Frodo1 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:20 pm
You don't even need to make a new topic-- you can ask your questions right here :) Lots of us are happy to help-- what kind of computers are you looking at?
I'm currently looking for something that can handle multi-tasking (Microsoft, music in the background, speedy internet) and support the game or larger-filed programs, allowing it to run smooth. I know laptops are slightly expensive, but if it's a little easier on my wallet, that'd be a big bonus too!

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Frodo1 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:33 pm

Tascalusa wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:06 pm
I'm currently looking for something that can handle multi-tasking (Microsoft, music in the background, speedy internet) and support the game or larger-filed programs, allowing it to run smooth. I know laptops are slightly expensive, but if it's a little easier on my wallet, that'd be a big bonus too!
I'm not super versed in specific laptops, since they change pretty frequently, but it sounds like you're looking at something mid-ranged. How versed are you in computer terminology? If you've got a moderate grasp of it, you could probably start off looking for some of this kind of stuff...

You'd probably want at least 16gb of RAM. 32 would be even better, but that's going to run more on the expensive side. You'll want at least a quad-core processor, but a six core wouldn't be a bad idea (again, though, that'll drive up the price). Built in graphics most likely won't cut it for games-- especially graphically-heavy games like WolfQuest-- so you'll want to make sure that whatever you get has an actual graphics card. For laptops, I'd definitely recommend getting a HDD, unless you find a large SSD (but again, large SSDs are expensive). SSDs are faster than HDDs, but they tend to have low storage space, and that's not going to be optimal. If you can find a system that has an SSD and a HDD, that's ideal in my opinion-- if your operating system and programs are on the SSD then they'll run quickly, but you'll have more space for other things on the HDD.

A system like this would probably run around $1k, give or take. You'll find some on either side of that spectrum, but often times cheaper laptops do tend to have more cheaply made hardware, so if something seems significantly cheaper than others with similar stats, be cautious about that.
I know this was a little term-heavy, so I apologize for that. Also, if anyone here knows more about laptops, feel free to jump in! I'm more versed in putting together custom systems than I am in knowing what prebuilts are out there :P
JayPlays on YouTube
Join the adventure here
Av/Sig © me

alebrije
Yearling
Yearling

Post by alebrije » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:57 am

Frodo1 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:33 pm
Tascalusa wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:06 pm
I'm not super versed in specific laptops, since they change pretty frequently, but it sounds like you're looking at something mid-ranged. How versed are you in computer terminology? If you've got a moderate grasp of it, you could probably start off looking for some of this kind of stuff...

You'd probably want at least 16gb of RAM. 32 would be even better, but that's going to run more on the expensive side. You'll want at least a quad-core processor, but a six core wouldn't be a bad idea (again, though, that'll drive up the price). Built in graphics most likely won't cut it for games-- especially graphically-heavy games like WolfQuest-- so you'll want to make sure that whatever you get has an actual graphics card. For laptops, I'd definitely recommend getting a HDD, unless you find a large SSD (but again, large SSDs are expensive). SSDs are faster than HDDs, but they tend to have low storage space, and that's not going to be optimal. If you can find a system that has an SSD and a HDD, that's ideal in my opinion-- if your operating system and programs are on the SSD then they'll run quickly, but you'll have more space for other things on the HDD.

A system like this would probably run around $1k, give or take. You'll find some on either side of that spectrum, but often times cheaper laptops do tend to have more cheaply made hardware, so if something seems significantly cheaper than others with similar stats, be cautious about that.
I know this was a little term-heavy, so I apologize for that. Also, if anyone here knows more about laptops, feel free to jump in! I'm more versed in putting together custom systems than I am in knowing what prebuilts are out there :P
I sincerely apologize, Frodo1, I thought I thanked you for this response a while ago! This was the most sincere piece of knowledge I've received since my search for an upgraded system. I went to my local Best Buy and met a fellow and had got to talking about what you had shared with me, and I was able to receive prices of 'newer" pcs. I didn't make a purchase, but it was able to get me closer to reaching a final decision. I've still got quite a bit of saving to do, but I wanted to thank you again for helping me sound tech-savvy to the kind man that day :wink:

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Frodo1 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:31 am

alebrije wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:57 am
I sincerely apologize, Frodo1, I thought I thanked you for this response a while ago! This was the most sincere piece of knowledge I've received since my search for an upgraded system. I went to my local Best Buy and met a fellow and had got to talking about what you had shared with me, and I was able to receive prices of 'newer" pcs. I didn't make a purchase, but it was able to get me closer to reaching a final decision. I've still got quite a bit of saving to do, but I wanted to thank you again for helping me sound tech-savvy to the kind man that day :wink:
No worries! I'm glad you were able to find some more specific help when it comes to laptops!
If you don't end up buying a system within the next couple of months, I'd definitely check again to make sure you're getting the best deals you can, too. Computer manufacturers are always striving to create even better, faster, and more powerful hardware and software, so it only takes a couple months for things to change. Even if you're not looking for the best, most high-end system you can find, remember that as new, better components release, the price of older ones will drop, meaning that components which were out of your price range before might suddenly become available to you.
In any case, I'm happy to help, and I wish you the best in your search :D
JayPlays on YouTube
Join the adventure here
Av/Sig © me

Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by Pepper » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:47 am

NOTE: These recommendations are for WolfQuest 2.7, made in late 2015.

WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition is a new game with higher hardware requirements. Please see this new page in the Knowledge Base with information about computer requirements and a few suggested products.

We're locking the thread since all the content here is now outdated.
Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member

Shake your glitter.

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”