Buying a computer? Some suggestions

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Writers Block
Name: Mika, Lynx

Re: Buying a computer? Some suggestions

Post by Writers Block » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:06 pm

Hmm, I believe I'm getting this computer, or a very similar model, for school? Any idea if WQ runs on this? (I think the one I'm getting isn't a touchscreen but all the other specs should be the same).
we are not history yet.
we are happening now.
how miraculous is that?
avvie©mute
quote©wtnv

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:10 am

Mikazuki-Lynx wrote:Hmm, I believe I'm getting this computer, or a very similar model, for school? Any idea if WQ runs on this? (I think the one I'm getting isn't a touchscreen but all the other specs should be the same).
Processor and RAM should be more than enough. Doesn't really look like it was built with gaming in mind, but from what I can tell based on online performance comparisons between that one's GPU and the recommended ones for WolfQuest, you should be able to handle the game without too many problems. Higher quality settings might not run as smoothly, but I'm assuming you'd get decent performance regardless.

Pegasos
Pup
Pup
Name: Maisa, Masaa

Post by Pegasos » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:30 am

I'm not (probably) going to buy new laptop/computer shortly but I just think what is the process which runs the game on high quality smoothly?
av by LupinzPack

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:34 am

Pegasos wrote:I'm not (probably) going to buy new laptop/computer shortly but I just think what is the process which runs the game on high quality smoothly?
The graphics/video card (GPU) is the most relevant when it comes to handling better graphics quality.

Although you also do need a sufficient processor and enough RAM, it's safe to assume that most if not all computers that come prebuilt with a good GPU have that covered. If, however, you are to buy a video card separately, you have to pay attention to those other components as well.

The system requirements listed on the WolfQuest Steam page list the following video cards:
  • Minimum: Intel 4000, NVIDIA 6800 Ultra, or ATI HD 3670
    Recommended: NVIDIA GeForce 640 series or AMD Radeon HD 6670
You can use a website such as gpuboss to compare these video cards to the ones you use and/or encounter. If you want to make sure WolfQuest will run nicely on higher quality settings, it's best to make sure your video card is equal to or better than the ones listed under "recommended".

Wnao

Post by Wnao » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:46 am

Does anything of these run WolfQuest on high quality?

Infinity Howl

Post by Infinity Howl » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:23 am

Wnao wrote:Does anything of these run WolfQuest on high quality?
The last one is originally intended for gaming, so seven is looking best one for running WolfQuest

Writers Block
Name: Mika, Lynx

Post by Writers Block » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:27 am

Anduril wrote:
Mikazuki-Lynx wrote:Hmm, I believe I'm getting this computer, or a very similar model, for school? Any idea if WQ runs on this? (I think the one I'm getting isn't a touchscreen but all the other specs should be the same).
Processor and RAM should be more than enough. Doesn't really look like it was built with gaming in mind, but from what I can tell based on online performance comparisons between that one's GPU and the recommended ones for WolfQuest, you should be able to handle the game without too many problems. Higher quality settings might not run as smoothly, but I'm assuming you'd get decent performance regardless.
Oh gosh, I never saw this! Regardless, the game works beautifully on my laptop and I'm super pleased. c: It never really ran on my old computer at all (it lagged tons on simple mode, and some kind of firewall kept me from accessing nine out of ten MP game servers, and at some point the save button stopped working? But there were so many other performance problems going on I just gave up instead of troubleshooting) and so the fact that it can actually run on my laptop on beautiful mode AND go on multiplayer games is somewhat of a miracle.

So to anyone else thinking about getting an Inspiron 13 7000 series, the game does work on it! I haven't played for more than a few minutes just to confirm everything's working as it should, but I haven't seen any problems so far and I'm very excited to finally be able to play the game properly for the first time since I started playing in 2010!
we are not history yet.
we are happening now.
how miraculous is that?
avvie©mute
quote©wtnv

Rustic
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Rustic » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:20 pm

Hmmm....all the talk of the new updates makes me wonder just a bit if MY computer will run the new wolfquest when it comes out....

At work currently, so can't pull up any specs, but it IS a bit older purchased maybe in 2010 or 201l so older but not ancient. I know it doesn't have any of the new fancy graphics card NVIDIA etc (as the new HD Resident Evil remake on steam runs...but is a bit slow...characters seem to run in slo-mo) - that just for a reference point

But having said the above....I have been playing and have not to this point, ever had any trouble running wolfquest and I currently play with graphics on Fantastic....so am hopefull that I can at least play the newer version on if nothing else...a lower graphics setting.

Fancyy

Post by Fancyy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:18 am

I just recently bought a new HP laptop. I want to find out if the game will run smoothly on high quality
Processor: AMD A9-9410 APU 2,9 - 3,5 GHz, 2 cores, 1Mt
Memory: 8 Gt (2 x 4 Gt) DDR4 2133 MHz, 2 memory slots
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R3

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:21 am

Rustic wrote:Hmmm....all the talk of the new updates makes me wonder just a bit if MY computer will run the new wolfquest when it comes out....

At work currently, so can't pull up any specs, but it IS a bit older purchased maybe in 2010 or 201l so older but not ancient. I know it doesn't have any of the new fancy graphics card NVIDIA etc (as the new HD Resident Evil remake on steam runs...but is a bit slow...characters seem to run in slo-mo) - that just for a reference point

But having said the above....I have been playing and have not to this point, ever had any trouble running wolfquest and I currently play with graphics on Fantastic....so am hopefull that I can at least play the newer version on if nothing else...a lower graphics setting.
If you can run the current build on Fantastic (and get a decent FPS), I don't think you'll have trouble running the new version on lower quality settings when it swings around. If your computer would struggle with the game even on its lowest settings, then you'd likely have a problem.

Try to look up your specs when you get the chance - Speccy is a nice little tool to help you do so :)
Fancyy wrote:I just recently bought a new HP laptop. I want to find out if the game will run smoothly on high quality
Processor: AMD A9-9410 APU 2,9 - 3,5 GHz, 2 cores, 1Mt
Memory: 8 Gt (2 x 4 Gt) DDR4 2133 MHz, 2 memory slots
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R3
I'm very unfamiliar with AMD hardware. (despite having an AMD GPU myself), but from what I can tell, you've got an integrated graphics card and those are usually not meant for gaming.

Based on this webpage, I think you might be able to run the current game on a lower resolution and with lower graphical settings, but that's obviously not ideal. The webpage I linked is in Dutch, but if you scroll down, you can see a list of games that have been tested with your graphics cards, and the respective FPS their settings yielded. Basically, you probably could run it, but I'd recommend against it.

ForeverEverest
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Everest/Evie

Post by ForeverEverest » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:47 am

Sounds like you had fun "testing" (playing) WolfQuest on different devices. That sounds like a cool job. I know the difficult programming side might not be so fun, but the testing does sound cool.
Last edited by ForeverEverest on Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
╔════--══--══--════╗
The howling cold wind,
the soft summer breeze.
They remind me a little,
of chalk and cheese.

╚════--══--══--════╝
Amazing avatar by: LupinzPack

k0ded
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Suggestions for PC's in Your price range

Post by k0ded » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:06 pm

As I'm a computer tech guy I can help you choose computer, That is hard to do without a budget so I'm going to find some computers online for 3 different price points "$500, $750 and $1000" The mid to high end ($750/$1000) should last you at LEAST 2 years of gaming depending on how games evolve ofc

All of these are DESKTOPS btw, I'm not that good with laptops etc.

$500 DISASSEMBLED
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZtZb29
This list was HAND PICKED by me and was made to be shipped around the US (NOTE THESE COMPUTERS WON'T HAVE WINDOWS INSTALLED)

$750 DISASSEMBLED
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ffXwYT
This list was HAND PICKED by me and was made to be shipped around the US (NOTE THESE COMPUTERS WON'T HAVE WINDOWS INSTALLED)

$1000 DISASSEMBLED
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4x8t3b

TO AGAIN MAKE IT CLEAR THESE COMPUTERS WILL NOT HAVE WINDOWS INSTALLED, WINDOWS HAS TO BE INSTALLED SEPARATELY
If you see any problems speak to me through discord L2004S#9702 and if you want anything customized feel free to let me know or if you want a custom list for your budget (For gaming I'd say $500+) just contact me and I'll be more than happy to answer your questions and ultimately help you get yourself started with a desktop.

A good youtube tutorial for building your PC would be
BTW MANUALS FOR PCS ARE VERY IMPORTANT DO NOT THROW THEM AWAY!

Rustic
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Rustic » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:12 pm

Does anyone know if this is a good computer to get or not? And which option would you choose for the hard drive?

Memory

8GB, DDR4, 2400MHz; up to 32GB

Hard Drive

Help Me Choose

1TB 7200RPM 6Gb/s Included in price

128GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) + $98.00

Video Cardi

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 with 3GB GDDR5

Optical Drive

DVD RW Tray

Wireless

Dell Wireless Card (802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.1, Dual Band 2.4&5 GHz, 1x1)

Mouse

Dell MS116 Wired Mouse Black

Operating system:
Available with Windows 10 Home

Ports & Slots – With Optical Disc Drive
1. Audio Combo Jack
2. SuperSpeed USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C™
3. SuperSpeed USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A
4. USB 2.0 Type-A (2) |
5. Display Port out
6. 1000 Gigabit Ethernet Port |
7. SuperSpeed USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type (4)
8. USB 2.0 Type-A (2) |
9. 7.1ch and Microphone Port |
10. HDMI Port |

Kereudio
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Maya

Post by Kereudio » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:29 pm

@Rustic: That's actually a very good computer to get! That's a middle-tier (pushing high thanks to that GPU) gaming computer and will definitely be able to run WolfQuest just fine, as well as many other modern games.

I'd definitely go for the hard drive option that includes the SSD. Since you are dedicating such a fast drive (the SSD is in an M.2 slot, one of the fastest ports on a computer currently) to boot exclusively, your computer will be starting up and ready to go in a few seconds flat, especially with windows 10's fast boot option. For an extra hundred, it's a very, very good deal.
I was writing in order to live.
osamu dazai

av: lupinzpack

Rustic
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Rustic » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:29 pm

Thanks for the input Okumuras!

Now to see if can get it with all of the options....the one I checked looked like a dvd writer drive...I think?? Not too sure how this will work as it is through a Federal Employee discount so would be getting it through my brother and I have to see what all his discount actually allows for. He can get for himself/family so much a year.

I had been debating about getting a new computer for awhile now...the dvd drive on my current on is shot and I figured if getting a new one why not get one that will run games a bit better :)

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”