Buying a computer? Some suggestions

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Buying a computer? Some suggestions

Post by loboLoco » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:30 pm

NOTE: These recommendation on this thread are for WolfQuest 2.7, made in late 2015.

WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition is a new game with higher hardware requirements. Please see this new page in the Knowledge Base with information about computer requirements and a few suggested products.

_________

In the market for a new computer? Here are some suggestions that will quite capably run WolfQuest 2.7 (on Beautiful or higher).

LAPTOPS

Acer Aspire VN7-571G-59NE ($599)

Lenovo Y50 - $859

DESKTOPS

Dell New Inspiron Desktop - $549

iBUYPOWER Desktop PC ARC Series NE621FX - $539
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Kamaal
Name: Kam

Re: Buying a computer? Some suggestions

Post by Kamaal » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:32 pm

Thanks for the info Dave! I'm sure some people who are looking for new computers are gonna find this very useful. I appreciate the time you've put to create this.
I ran out of snarky remarks, unfortunately.

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:34 pm

Awesome! So handy dandy and helpful for those members who are looking into a new computer but want something powerful enough for WQ 2.7!

Weylenn
Pup
Pup

Post by Weylenn » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:00 pm

Perhaps you could make a part of the thread describing seperate parts and stuff? I know an NVIDIA 750 TI is only 109 dollars or so, ect ect. It could help people who are somewhat-techie or people who have techie-parents ect ect. Or just a page that links to afforadble builds. :P

Jeames
Name: Jeames, Jea

Post by Jeames » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:41 am

Thanks for sharing, Dave! I just now realize that I already had a Lenovo 750. >D
And indeed the WolfQuest 2.7 game works on it, only a little bit wonky and with a low frame rate in Beautiful and Fantastic mode, but the game certainly works~
DeviantArt Artstation Instagram Weasyl Newgrounds
Discord (Jeames#7775)

av ↝ noir_187

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:26 am

The Lenovo 750 is an older model with an Intel 3000 card...so I'm kinda surprised you can run the game at all! (I tested the game on a computer with that card and it was not adequate...though that was a Mac, which sadly are worse than Windows for 3D game performance.)
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:42 am

loboLoco wrote:The Lenovo 750 is an older model with an Intel 3000 card...so I'm kinda surprised you can run the game at all! (I tested the game on a computer with that card and it was not adequate...though that was a Mac, which sadly are worse than Windows for 3D game performance.)

Wait really? I have a Macbook Pro and it runs WQ on Fantastic with pretty much no problems, apart from lagging when I first downloaded the game. But now the gameplay and graphics are smooth and I don't have lag.
"No matter where they are, the restless imagine being somewhere else."

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:16 pm

roguemoon wrote:
loboLoco wrote:The Lenovo 750 is an older model with an Intel 3000 card...so I'm kinda surprised you can run the game at all! (I tested the game on a computer with that card and it was not adequate...though that was a Mac, which sadly are worse than Windows for 3D game performance.)

Wait really? I have a Macbook Pro and it runs WQ on Fantastic with pretty much no problems, apart from lagging when I first downloaded the game. But now the gameplay and graphics are smooth and I don't have lag.
Which model of MBP? It must be newer than the old ones with the Intel 3000 card.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Jeames
Name: Jeames, Jea

Post by Jeames » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:35 pm

Well I have one and the game works fine on it. c;
In Fast mode it runs soooo smooth and amazing, Fantasic and such also very good, but a little bit more slow.
DeviantArt Artstation Instagram Weasyl Newgrounds
Discord (Jeames#7775)

av ↝ noir_187

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:47 pm

Semper Solus wrote:
Well I have one and the game works fine on it. c;
In Fast mode it runs soooo smooth and amazing, Fantasic and such also very good, but a little bit more slow.
Wow. That is (sadly) the difference between Mac and Windows for 3D games.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:02 am

loboLoco wrote:
roguemoon wrote:

Which model of MBP? It must be newer than the old ones with the Intel 3000 card.
Not sure of the model exactly but it is one of the newer ones yeah.
"No matter where they are, the restless imagine being somewhere else."

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:22 pm

Thanks for this list of suggestions, Dave! I'm sure plenty of users will find this very helpful. I actually just got a Lenovo myself and have been trying it out today with WolfQuest - the game works wonderfully on it. In comparison to what I could achieve before with my toaster laptop (maximum: good quality with no shadows, and even then that pushed it), I can now run the game on Fantastic with shadows (I have yet to try multiplayer with it but on single player I practically get no lag)! So for those looking for a laptop that can run WQ with ease, I definitely back the suggestion of purchasing a Lenovo Y50.
« A PRIVATE LIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE.»
•••
Icon (c) coyoteflu

Rain
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Rain » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:54 am

Thank you! I'll take a look at these. My old computer has Linux nowadays so it can't handle WQ. And even if it has Windows, I don't know how smooth it would be. Are those what I call "monster machines" (gaming computers)? I mean, does WQ need a gaming computer to run smoothly?
"Just say something!"
"Something."

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:06 pm

Rain wrote:Thank you! I'll take a look at these. My old computer has Linux nowadays so it can't handle WQ. And even if it has Windows, I don't know how smooth it would be. Are those what I call "monster machines" (gaming computers)? I mean, does WQ need a gaming computer to run smoothly?
You shouldn't need a computer designed specifically for gaming to run WQ smoothly, but it'd definitely help on the higher graphics settings.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

rainiepainie
Pup
Pup

Post by rainiepainie » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:30 pm

Here's a laptop that can handle the new WQ on max settings very smoothly! I have this laptop and i love it so much! Its under $1000 too and has a Nvidia GPU (and newest intel core i5) By the way, its only sold at Canadian Staples stores for some reason- the only drawback.
Price for performance is even better when you catch it on sale.

http://www.staples.ca/en/Asus-X555UF-SH ... CA_1_20001

EDIT: Found a similar model for US people!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
Slightly different GPU, but everything else is pretty much the same. Cheaper price too.

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”