Suggestion & Feedback Form for Moderators

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Suggestion & Feedback Form for Moderators

Post by Koa » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:36 pm

Hello,
It was brought to our attention that a "suggestion" and feedback box or form would prove itself useful in the way of moderator improvement; we agreed, and have created a form for you to share your thoughts.
Moderator Suggestion & Feedback Form

This form can be filled out by anyone. While we appreciate all feedback that is received, please make sure your responses are appropriate and constructive. Inappropriately articulating your thoughts will only detract from whatever point you are trying to get across; similarly, if you are too vague (e.g. saying what we are doing is "wrong" but not actually specifying what) and fail to give any substantial advice, we may not be able to take away as much from your response as you would like us to. Clear and concise responses are encouraged, and are to the benefit of everyone involved.
Last edited by Neamara on Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated post.

Nordue

Re: Suggestion & Feedback Form for Moderators

Post by Nordue » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:27 pm

• Excellent, I hope you guys get some feedback. Will you be showing the (reasonable) questions you receive to the public, as well as your responses? That is the only way the community will know if you are responding to their claims, after all.

D0m
Name: Dominik

Post by D0m » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:14 pm

I agree with Nordue, maybe you could have the suggested (relevant) questions put up somewhere (maybe in the Forum Suggestions V2) with the plan of action on these events? Just a thought, but thanks for giving this a go!
⋄╢ Ṩin Ịncarnate ╟⋄
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
There's so much punishment, so little time.
◈⑄⑀⑄◈
Av / Sig - Beachbody Humperdinck
〘 Skadoosh 〙

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:58 pm

Nordue wrote:
  • Excellent, I hope you guys get some feedback. Will you be showing the (reasonable) questions you receive to the public, as well as your responses? That is the only way the community will know if you are responding to their claims, after all.
LupaValdo2001-2014 wrote:I agree with Nordue, maybe you could have the suggested (relevant) questions put up somewhere (maybe in the Forum Suggestions V2) with the plan of action on these events? Just a thought, but thanks for giving this a go!
If the feedback warrants a response that is substantial, fresh, and relevant, I suppose we could share "what we plan on doing" on the Forum Suggestions V2 thread (e.g. a specific suggestion or form of feedback we've received, and the resulting course of action). General, vague opinions that fail to provide any content that we can meaningfully comment on and share a course of action will not be shared. For example, one of the suggestions on the Forum Suggestions V2 thread plainly states that moderators should increase their activity, with a note that they are already doing so. If someone simply says that we are inactive/ineffective but does not provide any specific solutions or actions we could take (e.g. they suggest that we host a contest in x forum), then there is no need for us to comment.

That's my opinion; other moderators are certainly welcome to comment and reflect. Personally, I'd only share something if it needed sharing -- again, if someone suggested in the feedback form that we hosted a contest to boost activity in one of the forums we moderate, that's something that's worth responding to and acknowledging that we've seen it.

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:52 am

Hmm, to my understanding from Nordue's original suggestion - correct me if I'm wrong here, Nordue! - the point of implementing a feedback form was indeed so that the Community could anonymously provide feedback, which in turn got publicly addressed given it was objective and reasonable (so, no trolling/drama fuel). In my opinion, that is a more fair way to go on about it than just selectively address what has been said, and we could just use this thread for that rather than focusing on suggestions only and posting them on the Forum Suggestions thread.
Koa wrote: For example, one of the suggestions on the Forum Suggestions V2 thread plainly states that moderators should increase their activity, with a note that they are already doing so. If someone simply says that we are inactive/ineffective but does not provide any specific solutions or actions we could take (e.g. they suggest that we host a contest in x forum), then there is no need for us to comment.
I definitely see where you are coming from - it seems a bit redundant to point a problem out without making it clear which points exactly can be improved on, such as indeed hosting events or contests and community participation, but if we as moderators claim we are trying to boost our activity but only give a Forum Suggestions notice that we are doing so rather than proving it (and as a result no longer receiving negative feedback regarding activity) I don't think it is entirely fair to disregard any criticism on that, you know? I'm all for clear communication on this, and the feedback form is a good way to start. I personally wouldn't want to waste the opportunity by selectively leaving people in the dark about whether their feedback is taken into consideration or not. ><

That said, so far the responses have been ones we can't really do anything substantial with, but I believe that is partially due to the fact that the form as it is invites feedback rather than suggestions and advice. For that reason I think it is worth considering occasionally summarising the feedback we've received over the course of a week or two (think things like "various people believe the moderators need to increase participation and we've had a few people compliment us - thank you!") and seeing how the Community responds to that. I think that way we can achieve a nice cooperation between the moderating team and the Community and improve the forum experience for everyone as a result.

Thoughts? It is not common we discuss things publicly like this, but I suppose it's appropriate in this context.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:50 am

I simply want to avoid redundancy; again, if there's something decent we can actually respond to, sure. (Vague responses don't offer much in the way of this; that's all we've received so far. Substantial responses, in my mind, are specific ones.) I felt that the "ineffective responses" and even some of the "effective responses" would be more or less the same if we did an exact "question/comment" and "response" play-by-play. I'm more supportive of summarizing, if we were to do anything with "responding to general feedback"/be inclusive of all feedback (even though if it is vague, which, still seems to offer little to summarize) unless the feedback and response needn't be summarized (again, contests).

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:35 am

Koa wrote:I'm more supportive of summarizing, if we were to do anything with "responding to general feedback"/be inclusive of all feedback (even though if it is vague, which, still seems to offer little to summarize) unless the feedback and response needn't be summarized (again, contests).
Yeah, the summarising approach is roughly what I had in mind, given there is an agreement on that. I don't believe publishing the feedback exactly as we receive it is a good idea to begin with either, for more reasons than just redundancy - I don't know how detailed future submissions might get and don't want this to turn into an excuse to anonymously start drama. However, considering all feedback in a general statement seems fairest to me.

D0m
Name: Dominik

Post by D0m » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:40 am

Koa wrote:
Nordue wrote:
LupaValdo2001-2014 wrote:I agree with Nordue, maybe you could have the suggested (relevant) questions put up somewhere (maybe in the Forum Suggestions V2) with the plan of action on these events? Just a thought, but thanks for giving this a go!
If the feedback warrants a response that is substantial, fresh, and relevant, I suppose we could share "what we plan on doing" on the Forum Suggestions V2 thread (e.g. a specific suggestion or form of feedback we've received, and the resulting course of action). General, vague opinions that fail to provide any content that we can meaningfully comment on and share a course of action will not be shared. For example, one of the suggestions on the Forum Suggestions V2 thread plainly states that moderators should increase their activity, with a note that they are already doing so. If someone simply says that we are inactive/ineffective but does not provide any specific solutions or actions we could take (e.g. they suggest that we host a contest in x forum), then there is no need for us to comment.

That's my opinion; other moderators are certainly welcome to comment and reflect. Personally, I'd only share something if it needed sharing -- again, if someone suggested in the feedback form that we hosted a contest to boost activity in one of the forums we moderate, that's something that's worth responding to and acknowledging that we've seen it.
This is what I meant, that you take the relevant ones/one that have not been suggested already and put them up on that thread.
⋄╢ Ṩin Ịncarnate ╟⋄
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
There's so much punishment, so little time.
◈⑄⑀⑄◈
Av / Sig - Beachbody Humperdinck
〘 Skadoosh 〙

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:09 pm

In response to a submission, please only use this form for feedback about the community moderation team. Any forum-related feedback is best posted to the Forum Suggestions thread. Thank you~
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:33 am

This form has been going for nearly a year now, so I would like to give an update of sorts on it.

Although we do not frequently receive feedback forms, the majority of them seem to either mostly have concerns about moderator activity or seem to be generally satisfied. A few of them appear to have more specific concerns, but I personally find these to be left rather ambiguous.

The activity concern is a fair one. I think it's safe to say that in everyone's case, real life gets in the way at times. This probably feels unfair to anyone who would like to be a moderator, and doesn't get a chance, but fact remains that we are definitely not understaffed at this moment in time and that most if not all issues get dealt with quickly. (This includes spambot-generated posts, not visible to most users due to a preventive system in place.) My own view on the activity matter is that, although it's definitely a fair point, it's not a pressing issue as of now due to the lack of heavy traffic and/or problems. I'm assuming that any moderator who feels like they are not able to restore and/or maintain their activity on the forums would be responsible enough to step down -- we've seen this happen before. Until then, I think it's only fair to cut them some slack while there isn't an urgent need for more activity among the moderator team.

As for the more specific concerns... Some forms have expressed discomfort with the way they perceive certain posts/moderators. It's very helpful in these cases to provide examples of posts and the like that helped you come to this conclusion, as it can be hard to pinpoint exactly why especially if it is a matter of subjectivity. None of the moderators would purposefully talk down on or disrepect someone, but if you feel like this is happening, feel free to elaborate on the when and why so we can perhaps clear up any misunderstandings. Keep in mind it's hard to convey tone over text!

And lastly, thank you to everyone who has submitted a feedback form. Rest assured, we view and occasionally discuss the forms and consider each of them, and it's nice to see people care about the quality of the community.

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:39 am

The feedback form has been updated! The new form is now linked in the first post.
It's a bit longer than the old form was so if you have the time to spare, please do let us know how we're doing.
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”