Forum Suggestions V2

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Paradiigm
Name: Atlas

Re: Forum Suggestions V2

Post by Paradiigm » Fri May 11, 2018 5:10 am

Neam, I'd help with it, because I second this being done

Also, is there a way to add a cake smilie, for those of us who are graduating or celebrating birthdays soon? I've always wanted one, but I never had one.. :')
☽ ✰ ☾ ⭒ ☽ ✰ ☾ ⭒ ☽ ✰ ☾ ⭒ ☽ ✰ ☾
Here in the Land of the Forgotten, we live to please the dead. The living no longer matter.
"Will you stay?" "Will you stay?"
Sig: Para // Av: Lupe

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri May 11, 2018 5:17 am

Paradiigm wrote:Neam, I'd help with it, because I second this being done
Sorry, but you would need administrative permissions to help with that (unless you were talking about the post-resync? You could just look out for quirks I guess as Neam asked).

I believe Dave is in charge of adding smilies since he has FTP access. I don’t think adding smilies is high on his priority list right now.

Paradiigm
Name: Atlas

Post by Paradiigm » Fri May 11, 2018 5:18 am

Koa wrote:
Paradiigm wrote:Neam, I'd help with it, because I second this being done
Sorry, but you would need administrative permissions to help with that (unless you were talking about the post-resync? You could just look out for quirks I guess as Neam asked).
Yeah that's what I meant. Sorry, I am sooo tired and rattled due to nerves.
Here in the Land of the Forgotten, we live to please the dead. The living no longer matter.
"Will you stay?" "Will you stay?"
Sig: Para // Av: Lupe

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Thu May 24, 2018 4:18 pm

Introduce Yourself, Get to Know Each Other, General Other Topic Discussion, Avatars & Graphics, User Writings and Wild Canid User Writings now require a logged in community forum account to browse and view their topics. The forums from the Other Topics category were changed in late April, though only Other Video Games remains public.
  • Edit
Paradiigm wrote:Also, is there a way to add a cake smilie, for those of us who are graduating or celebrating birthdays soon? I've always wanted one, but I never had one.. :')
This falls to Dave. ^^;
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Thu May 24, 2018 8:52 pm

^ I think the two Artworks should too then, for consistency.
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Fri May 25, 2018 5:36 am

I second that as well. I know some users only post their work in the art sections and no where else, as its a pretty safe place to do so where it won’t get stolen.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

av/sig : fidd/lupe

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:23 pm

I'm surprised our thoughts haven't been acknowledged yet.
DaniBeez
___Avatar by Sambhur

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:04 am

DaniBeez wrote:I'm surprised our thoughts haven't been acknowledged yet.
No need for the slight passive aggression in your post; you could have just PMed Neamara instead with a reminder (or something of the sorts) to avoid making it seem like you are being deliberately ignored.

I cannot change board permissions. I can see arguments against making those boards private, but I personally do think it's a good idea.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:54 am

I had asked Neam privately to alter User Writings permissions due to my coursework (-- it's a long story). I felt odd about changing UA permissions to restricted access, but felt this way because I couldn't remember if one needed a username or not to submit artwork. I checked and usernames are indeed asked for, so I became okay with changing UA to restricted and didn't feel the need to post until your comment.

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:16 pm

Alrighty then, I'll apply the same change to UA and WCUA as well. Thanks you all for your input.

Personally I'm leaning against this. I'd think it best for those forums to remain public in case people did use them as a way to show their art elsewhere, though I'd imagine this would be limited to young kids whose parents don't agree with them registering on "non-kid friendly" sites or places like Tumblr or Imgur for file hosting purposes. Sure it'll help reduce the odds of art theft/illegal use, however realistically it won't outright prevent it and it will add extra steps in the event that such a thing did happen. "Extra steps" being "create an account so you can see for yourself", which may or may not be something someone would want to do.

Perhaps, for the sake of proof, we should consider a guest account? No posting or account management abilities of course, just readability access for non-guest accessible forums. If we opted to do this, the account username and password would a) only be shared on a case-by-case basis and b) the pass would be reset after each use of the account to prevent it from being shared maliciously.
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:35 pm

Neamara wrote:Alrighty then, I'll apply the same change to UA and WCUA as well. Thanks you all for your input.

Personally I'm leaning against this. I'd think it best for those forums to remain public in case people did use them as a way to show their art elsewhere, though I'd imagine this would be limited to young kids whose parents don't agree with them registering on "non-kid friendly" sites or places like Tumblr or Imgur for file hosting purposes. Sure it'll help reduce the odds of art theft/illegal use, however realistically it won't outright prevent it and it will add extra steps in the event that such a thing did happen. "Extra steps" being "create an account so you can see for yourself", which may or may not be something someone would want to do.

Perhaps, for the sake of proof, we should consider a guest account? No posting or account management abilities of course, just readability access for non-guest accessible forums. If we opted to do this, the account username and password would a) only be shared on a case-by-case basis and b) the pass would be reset after each use of the account to prevent it from being shared maliciously.
Restricting UA access definitely won't prevent theft or illegal usage, I can level with you on that-- I've had actual members steal or illegally use my work more than guests. I suggested restricted access in UW because it seems most of my traffic I get is from guests, bots, etc.-- the same could be true for my artwork-- and I didn't want any randoms getting too "inspired" by my work when its not yet finished. I simply agreed to change UA tor restricted access for the sake of consistency and nothing more. I am fine with a guest account.

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:31 pm

I didn't want to go to private message about this paperpaws because it affects the entire community. I was sincere when I said I wondered why no moderator had responded; sorry if you interpreted the tone of my post to be "passive aggressive".

I greatly appreciate you providing the context Koa. When I read that User Writings was going to restricted access, I wondered why but didn't openly question it, since other boards were being closed up at the same time. Then I really wondered when the other creative boards weren't getting the same treatment.

Based on what I'm reading here about the situation, I'm not sure restricting UW to login-only is going to offer your work the protection you desire though. A fair amount of people who could potentially misuse it can still see it.

My opinion has changed on UA through, with this new insight. I don't think it should go private. I think the onus is on users to watermark and protect their own works before choosing to go public with them. While I could say that I think the same about written work, writing is a bit trickier to protect/personalize and very easy to copy, so I get where Koa is coming from. Even if I think securing the board is not the best option.

Thanks for opening up the discussion on this to everyone, since it affects everyone :) .
DaniBeez
___Avatar by Sambhur

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:58 pm

Again, the same is true of UW as is for UA if you want to talk about the issue of who thieves or illegally uses— it’s easier to hold members of this forum accountable if they misuse work than guests and I have no problem with dealing with people on my own. It won’t prevent misuse in either capacity, but, as you pointed out, writing is a little more difficult to protect than artwork, where reverse image searches and uncompressed files (if you are the file owner) are at your disposal. I also trust those in the writing community here to not misuse my work more than I do random guests who have more anonymity and consequently would be more difficult to track down and connect the dots.

I agree that it is primarily the artist’s responsibility to protect their work— you can indeed watermark and sign art pieces, unlike writing published in a text-based post. I still think that UA should now remain restricted on the basis of consistency and not on the basis of theft (unlike User Writings).

Black Burn
Name: BB for short

Post by Black Burn » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:58 pm

So I've been giving this some thought, and I finally decided to post my idea here.

How about a font called Blink? A font that would blink (slowly, too fast would be bad), it would be good for making signatures, and I doubt a lot of users will use it to type with.
. . «`∙^«`∙ ∙`»^∙`» . .
. ⌐∙ . ∙•°F8°•∙ . ∙¬ .
So take the best parts of me
Locked away without the keys . .. . ════ =
= ════. .. .And know that I'm forever by your side
= «`∙^«`∙ ∙`»^∙`» =
avatar=Lupe/signature=TimberRaven

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:06 pm