Why is Wolfquest special to you?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Writers Block
Name: Mika, Lynx

Re: Why is Wolfquest special to you?

Post by Writers Block » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:41 pm

Gosh, wolfquest has done a lot for me? I found my first internet friends through wolfquest, some of which I still talk to today. Wolfquest was also the first place I ever showed anyone my writing (not counting my parents) and it was received so warmly and positively, even though looking back on it I can tell that it was very shoddy. I probably would have still come around to writing online without wolfquest, but none of other works have ever garnered the attention and love that my stories here have, and without that positive feedback I probably wouldn't identify as A Writer in nearly the same way that I do today.
we are not history yet.
we are happening now.
how miraculous is that?
avvie©mute
quote©wtnv

Latra

Post by Latra » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:36 pm

Wolfquest, along with Animal Jam, was one of the first games I got when I got my first computer right before turning 12. During that time period playing the game was a great escape from some rough things and honestly still is. It's also the only place that I really make art for and is the only place that I actually post anything remotely personal. A few years of posting on here and I've gotten too comfortable to leave or try to be this open anywhere else, and though I'm still kinda shy and don't really get too close with anyone in specific I still like everyone here and make it a point to try and remember everyone.
╔════════⁂════════⁂════════⁂════════╗
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?
ꕥ ❁ ꕥ —Mary Oliver ꕥ ❁ ꕥ
╚════════⁂════════⁂════════⁂════════╝

Quote / Av Shop

Shiranuiii
Name: Shiranui

Post by Shiranuiii » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:28 am

• This game was my life growing up and I took it way too seriously, I remember at one point I lost my save files of my favourite wolves, so I pretty much broke down crying. I was super young at the time and it really upset me, this game is the reason I started loving wolves and is still the reason today. Though I don't keep in touch with any of them, I made a lot of friends here back in the day. This game reminds me of my childhood and it's just so important to me. cx
𝟣𝟥/𝟣𝟢/𝟢𝟪 | 𝟣𝟧 𝗒𝖾𝖺𝗋𝗌 𝗈𝖿 𝖶𝗈𝗅𝖿𝗊𝗎𝖾𝗌𝗍
𝖣𝖾𝖼𝖾𝗆𝖻𝖾𝗋 𝟤𝟢𝟣𝟩 | 𝖴𝖮𝖳𝖬
𝖠𝗏𝖺𝗍𝖺𝗋 | Lupe

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:10 am

Wow, this is a good one.

When I was younger, I longed to live the life of a wolf. In all honesty, I wanted to be a wolf. To be free, and commune with family in a way that human bonds cannot hope to describe. Upon the discovery of WolfQuest, I was elated to find my dream! Now of course, I wasn't physically a wolf, but the feeling of the game made it so real for me. I learned a lot about wolves through WolfQuest as well. It helped to dispel stereotypes and false facts about wolves that I otherwise wouldn't have known, and provided a sort of education through experience rather than direct spoken words.

Multiplayer, beyond the roleplay at the time, was absolutely amazing. I felt so connected! WolfQuest was definitely the game that got me into Roleplay, and helped me to improve my writing in more ways than I may ever give it credit for.

Now this is all coming from the 2.5 version. I cannot even begin to describe how much WolfQuest 3 will mean to me until it's released!
||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||ЖЖЖ||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||
Writing is a job, a talent,
but it's also the place to go inside your head.
It's the imaginary friend you drink tea
with in the afternoon.
||,.°`°.,||Ж||,.°`°.,||
sig/quote © Kamaal/Ann Patchett

Ecliptic
Pup
Pup

Post by Ecliptic » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:25 pm

Ooh, this is a great topic. Why didn't I find this earlier?

Back when I was pre-school age, I didn't really think much of wolves. Unfortunately, my only idea of them at the time was that they were man-eating beasts and were super dangerous (neither are true). Then I was playing some other game not too long ago, and I heard somebody mention WolfQuest. I didn't think much of it at first, just imagined a game with the color green all over it and a compass in the upper left corner. No joke.
But I kept remembering the name of the game, and eventually had enough motivation to look it up. I loved the game so much that I even researched wolves a little, and realized they weren't as vicious as they are in stories. From there I socialized with the nicest community I knew, and before I knew it, wolves became my favorite animal.

WolfQuest is really special to me because if it weren't for it, I wouldn't know the truth about wolves (or how amazing they are). Since I love wolves, I told my family all about them (they probably were only half-listening), and I was able to carry on the information. It felt really good to spread the news that wolves aren't always big and bad. None of that would've happened without WolfQuest.

ViperBrains

Post by ViperBrains » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:03 am

I remember back in my playgroup days, when I didn't even know a wolf was a real creature. Though I had a very strong love for dogs and 24/7 i would pester Mum until she put on the movie "101 Dalmatians". It was only two or three years ago when I grew an interest for the youtuber "iHascupqake', on her channel I found game-plays of WolfQuest. As I was watching the video I became sucked into the world of WolfQuest and suddenly out of the blue I had a very strong interest and love for the wolf species. A year or two later I had completely fallen in love with the wolf. I found I was regularly doing research on them and was constantly in class doing small sketches of them whenever I thought the teacher wasn't looking(it didn't help that my classmates thought I was good at drawing and would always complement the piece and draw(no pun intended) attention to me). Quite soon after that, I was on google searching up some common wolf games thats when the name WolfQuest caught my eye, I thought it seemed familia so I clicked on it and had a look. And now I'm here ;3

WolfQuest is really special to me because it's a game I can pick up and go to whenever I need to escape the reality of the real world. It made me feel safe and the community is so welcoming and accepting. There aren't enough communities like this one.
☁️----------------------------------------------☁️----------------------------------------------------☁️----------------------------------------☁️--------------------☁️---------☁️------🌨️----------🌨️------------☁️--------------🌧️------🌧️----🌧️---------------------🌧️-----------🌦️--------------------🌦️---------⛅---------------------⛅-------------------🌤️------------------⛅----🌤️-----------☁️-------------------------------------------------☀️-------------------------------------------------------☁️-----------------------------------------------------☁️——————-☁️👒
(0u0)
/⌊_⌋\
🌻🌼 ---| | ---🌼🌷
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Av/Sobakka|Sig/Me

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Name: Frodo/Jay

Post by Frodo1 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:20 pm

Heh, I remember my mom seeing an article about WolfQuest and showing it to me when I was... what, 9 or 10-ish? I was obsessed with wolves even back then, and after its release, WolfQuest quickly became the game I played most faithfully. It was also my first introduction to an online community, both in-game and here on the forums. These forums were the first place I posted writings online. I've been in this community for so long now, and I will always remember how much it shaped my childhood. Not to mention the fact that this game has such an incredible story-- going from nearly dead and almost guaranteed to shut down to springing back to life with 2.7 and beginning to flourish again. It's such an incredible journey and I've been so honored to be along for the ride.

I also love how WolfQuest sticks to realism in so many ways, but without becoming rigid or frustrating. It blends reality and player-friendliness quite well-- something not a lot of games have managed to do.
JayPlays on YouTube
Nature and wildlife gaming videos the whole family can enjoy!
Join the adventure here
Av/Sig © me

Arcturus221B
Pup
Pup
Name: Arcturus

Post by Arcturus221B » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:24 pm

I really have to thank WolfQuest for a lot of things. No kidding. I already liked wolves before I saw a gameplay video of it on youtube years ago, but WolfQuest really made me love them, and I still love them as much today as I did back then. My love for wolves even helped me make the first steps to overcoming my fear of dogs. Right now, I absolutely love them and might even get a service dog to help me gain some more freedom and independance. I could play this game for hours and would try to play whenever I had the time (and was allowed to). It allowed me to talk to complete strangers, make new friends and have fun without being very anxious all the time, which was (and still is) quite hard for me to do in face-to-face situations. I can really be myself on this game and relax, which is one of the reasons why I love it so much. But the most important thing WolfQuest helped me with, was learning the English language. I'm not great at languages (even my native one. School didn't really help me learn them in all honesty) and chatting on this game helped me practice and learn it. While I was playing I would occasionally go to my mom or dad and ask what a word meant until at one point they didn't know anymore either, so I had to look it up myself. I'm proud to say I am currently the best at the language in my family (although I still have a lot left to learn). Without this, I would not be able to read the things I read today, I would not know the things I now know, I would not have met some of my best friends and I most certainly wouldn't be able to watch the tv shows I'm obssessed with today. Whatever I do now, I do like 80% of it using English. In that regard WolfQuest has really been an important turning point in my life. WolfQuest has also introduced me to RP, which I still do and love today. This is just how important this game is for me and how much it means to me.
☀ "Beттer тo Lιɢнт oɴe cαɴdle, тнαɴ Cυrѕe тнe Dαrĸɴeѕѕ" ★

Fifteen
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Fifteen » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:45 pm

WolfQuest was really the game that actually got me into gaming in the first place. My older cousin was the one who showed me all of the old animal MMORPGs; you name one, and I'll probably recognize it. This game was always fun to play when I was younger, no matter how many times I'd start over, hehe. I was always fond of wolves, and this game taught me even more about them. Not only was it just fun to be a part of the community in general, but socializing with people always seemed to be easier in-game,
seeing how shy I was when I was little. Now that I'm older, I love the game so much more for so many new reasons; the amount of realism put into the models, animation and environment absolutely fascinates me, and the amount of work being put into the game is just inspiring in general! I think this might be the one game I'll always be attached to.

-Revan-
Pup
Pup
Name: Revan

Post by -Revan- » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:44 am

WolfQuest is so special to me because it was, and directly influenced, a large part of my childhood. I joined in mid 2009, back when it was just episode 1 and AM was the only map. Back then I mostly just played around in multiplayer or played out my own stories in single player. There wasn't a whole lot to do yet aha, but I loved it anyway.

When episode 2 came out, I was beyond thrilled. SC was so different compared to AM, and raising pups was far more interesting and challenging than finding a mate (I thought the ranch mission was really cool, too). Around the same time, too, I join a pack in the pack central. We'd hang out at SC in multiplayer, play hide-and-seek in the Douglas Fir Slopes, or hunt elk together. We didn't stay on WQ forever, and eventually transitioned to only roleplaying on our pack website, but we were all still really close. I made some good friends in that pack, and even though none stuck around (or, to be more precise, I didn't stick around), I'm glad I got to make those memories, and it's thanks to WQ I even met them in the first place. I even wrote a novel based on the experience, aha.

But more than that, I got to see WQ grow as I did. I saw the beginning when it was just one map and one mission. I took a really long hiatus from about late 2011 to 2015, and if I hadn't seen the Steam release, I don't know if I'd have ever seen what the game has become. New map, new multiplayer functionality, more wildlife, improved graphics, and so much more. I was around 13 or 14 when I started playing, and at 22 now, it's crazy how much has changed and how much time has flown by. Sometimes I feel like an old person shaking my cane and yelling "back in my day we only had one map and multiplayer had a cap of five wolves!"

Sometimes I wonder if I still belong here now that I'm much older, but I don't think I could ever walk away from something that means so much to me. I'm beyond excited for WolfQuest 3 and Tower Fall - it's all I ever dreamed, that WQ would continue to thrive and prosper after so many years. I'll always be here to see what the future holds for my beloved childhood game.

Gosh that was way more rambly than I intended aha.
╔═══━━━━ ━━━━═══╗
ʜᴇʟʟᴏ, ʜᴇʟʟᴏ? ᴀɴʏʙᴏᴅʏ ᴏᴜᴛ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ?
'ᴄᴀᴜꜱᴇ ɪ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ʜᴇᴀʀ ᴀ ꜱᴏᴜɴᴅ
ɪ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ ɪꜱ
ʙᴜᴛ ɪ ᴍɪꜱꜱ ɪᴛ ɴᴏᴡ
╚═══━━━━ ━━━━═══╝

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:06 am

So, I'm going to start at the beginning: My favorite animal kept shifting more and more towards wolves, so I wanted a wolf simulator game. I looked on Steam for P.C. games with good reviews. Two days later, I finally find a very good-looking game and great reviews! So I got it... and it turned out to be WolfQuest. :D :wolf:
I was amazed when I loaded the game. I thought, those pups actually look fluffy! That's the first thing I saw --fluffy pups. And fuzzy parents. I got into create-a-wolf, and I simply couldn't choose which coat to choose! The very first wolf I made was named Storm. It was so long ago, I don't know what she looked like. I played in Lost River and it wasn't as buggy as it is now. Now I hate Lost River because you can't play with pups and it's too glitchy.
Doing pups the first time was a challenge, but I relied on the game to tell me what to do, and it did! The instructions are short but detailed... how everyone likes it. But the thing I struggled with, well, two things --were getting a mate and finding shallow parts in rivers to bring your pups across. I usually relied on my mate bringing them across, because I always killed my pups. And with mates, I misread and didn't know you had to have a certain amount of XP, so the first thing I did was try to get a mate. Finally, I got the information I needed about my XP. So I upped it to 800 like the game said to, and got a mate! :D
WolfQuest has taught me a lot, and so have these forums.

Brinnadaze
Pup
Pup
Name: Brianna

Post by Brinnadaze » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:46 pm

Back sometime in 2013-15 I was really into life simulators. Whether that be human-life simulators, jurassic hunter simulators, or whatever! Somehow, I found my way to the WolfQuest forum and downloaded the 2.5 version of WQ. I fell in love instantly. For a while I remember dropping the game completely. Now, just last year in 2017, I found the game again and began researching Yellowstone wildlife to know more about these amazing creatures we play as. I really appreciate wolves and the ecosystem much more than I did before, and want to share my knowledge, keep learning new things, and put the myths surrounding the wolf to rest (*cough* Alpha/Omega theory *cough*).

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”