Do genders really matter?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Bloodstar
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Re: Do genders really matter?

Post by Bloodstar » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:59 pm

ObsidianSpade wrote:In my opinion, I sort of really wish that genders could be eradicated, at least in multiplayer. If I ever say that I/my wolf is male, I end up getting stalked by rule-breaking mate-desperate females. And, like everyone else here has said, it's only important in RP if rules are being broken.

~~ObsidianSpade
Speaking of which, this is the reason I never play as a male character.

I personally don't give a giant's toenail what people's genders are. All I care about doing is roleplaying fairly. I can't stand it when people become obsessed with "being mates" and stuff like that.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:46 am

Bloodstar wrote:
ObsidianSpade wrote:In my opinion, I sort of really wish that genders could be eradicated, at least in multiplayer. If I ever say that I/my wolf is male, I end up getting stalked by rule-breaking mate-desperate females. And, like everyone else here has said, it's only important in RP if rules are being broken.

~~ObsidianSpade
Speaking of which, this is the reason I never play as a male character.

I personally don't give a giant's toenail what people's genders are. All I care about doing is roleplaying fairly. I can't stand it when people become obsessed with "being mates" and stuff like that.

I must agree.. I think that was my mistake when I made a male character. Everyone will always get obsessed over the mate part of the game and never focus on fun and detailed roleplaying. Giving out your gender on multiplayer has pretty much changed the whole point of multiplayer. When I view the chats it usually says "meat season" or "meats wanted" and I can't find a decent RP chat. Genders shouldn't affect game play but they have. So why give out your gender if it will only cause more people to go against multiplayer rules. Just my thoughts on this..
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Fire Eternal
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Fire Eternal » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:26 am

To me, genders both do and don't matter in multiplayer.

They do matter in the fact that I want to know what to call you. I don't want to call you a they, because that's grammatically incorrect, and no one wants to teach the youth of America anything less than perfectly correct grammar! ....Ahem.
Also, saying it just... doesn't flow as well when you're rping in multiplayer. I don't want to say, "I walked over to it, a smile on my face. How are you? I asked, gently touching my nose to its." It just... doesn't sound right. No one would call a person in real life an it, and usually when someone does, it's in a derogatory manner. I'd prefer not to have to say the player's name over and over again, because that just gets.... really, really repetitive.

How they don't matter? Well, to start, there's those annoying, clingy, mate-happy females who want nothing more than a male wolf (whose player usually isn't even a guy to begin with) to call theirs. I mean, what happens when this user switches to another wolf that's not your mate? Usually, it'll cause problems. Also, it's unimaginably dumb to do something like that. I understand if you're really good friends, and want to be each others' 'mate' or what have you, but picking someone you don't know at all just because he's available?
Also, I've gotten some, granted not much, crap for 'being mates', as many multiplayer users will see it as, with a female. Eventually, they'll make the connection that she's a girl, and I'm a girl. Usually, they'll just be confused or assume I'm a guy and that they're reading something wrong or we're just dumb and keep mistyping. Or they'll just refuse to believe. Whichever one, I don't care. When they confront us/me about it, I'll give the response that "Technically, on multiplayer, none of the wolves you see have any gender. You can barely say any gender-specific words at all, and the staff and team are trying their darnedest to get anything related to mates or genders out of the game. So, this means, that there are no gender, and there are no mates. So even if your 'mate' is a 'male' wolf, technically, you are both its who cling to each other uselessly."

It's actually really amusing to see the different reactions people give us. I should start screenshotting them sometime.

tl;dr
Genders matter in the way that I want to be able to use pronouns to refer to the different wolves. They don't matter in the fact that despite whether you're a male wolf or female wolf, nothing really changes. That, and they tend to attract all sorts of, generally, unwanted attention.
---------------------------[ FIRE ! ]
---___________________________

--I'm gonna live like every day's my last,
--gonna be the one to come out laughing.

-I'm gonna laugh like every joke's my best,
----gonna be the one to come out living.

---___________________________

----[ ETERNAL ! ]

Fern7
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Matthew

Post by Fern7 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:00 pm

It doesn't to me..and I don't see why it does at all. I don't include it when I describe my RP character, and when someone asks, I reply that it shouldn't matter. Sometimes they say, OK, sometimes they say, OK, just wondering. Or sometimes they just keep asking. And now I can barley RP cause its all the 'no meat' 'las' 'led' 'led or las?' stuff, and I'm like, meats are against the rules, it shouldn't matter, and bypassing the lexicon is also against the rules. No one seems to care however...but I don't think genders matter at all.
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱
Didn't you notice?

Undecided. Uninvited.
Screwing. Misbehaving.
Unacceptable, yet so right.
It's for the best.

Driving straight through America.
Let's watch the sun come up.
Somewhere over the rainbow

Siggie by FERN7

Dark Storm
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Dark Storm » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:03 pm

i mean it sorta does effect wolfquest rps since you dont know what to call them and it sorta messes up the whole role play if you know what i mean :/

ArrowWolf005
Yearling
Yearling

Post by ArrowWolf005 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:30 am

BlackWarrior wrote:When I view the chats it usually says "meat season" or "meats wanted" and I can't find a decent RP chat.
I keep seeing these. What are they? (Knowing me, it'll probably be something obvious.)
Getting back on track: I really feel the same to it as Fire Eternal does. It both does and doesn't matter, but it mostly doesn't. And, like this:
Fire Eternal wrote:Well, to start, there's those annoying, clingy, mate-happy females who want nothing more than a male wolf (whose player usually isn't even a guy to begin with)
I am also a girl, but I like to play WQ with male wolves. So if someone asks, I don't know what to tell them. Should you say your real gender, or your wolf's gender? It's quite confusing, so I just say my wolf's.
Arrow
Hunting with the pack for 2 years
Rumors
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=71954
Definition
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=72174

thehusky
Pup
Pup

Post by thehusky » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:58 pm

Well, alright, to me, gender's DO matter. Why? Well, I believe that should be obvious, for one, the simple fact of the RP, I find it impossible to properly rp when all I can say is "it", last I checked, you don't go around calling everything an "it", it's just... weird, and two, this is a realistic game, completely removing gender's in this would kill the realism, sure there's the basic hunting and stuff... but genders are overall just... needed. Though still... I see no real difference in detail between the male and female wolf models, at least in my opinion you should at least add something so there some kind of difference, otherwise... well it freaks me out my male wolf looks like a ken doll, that's all, just my opinion at least.
Why?

dA Account: Hyonilikos
Proud Huskyboo!!

sSilvers
Yearling
Yearling

Post by sSilvers » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:12 pm

Genders dont matter to me; if your on WolfQuest your on WolfQuest. If your a wolf your a wolf. Honestly, do you need genders to roleplay? I do dislike it when people mess with the filter. 'she, boy,' It doesnt really make sense to me. I go against genders. If someone in WolfQuest asks me, 'Describe' or 'she, or boy,?' depending on the chat; Ill report it or just leave. A lot chats just jump to 'Describe' and Im thinking, 'What, no hello?' I really dont think they matter.
BlackWarrior wrote:I must agree.. I think that was my mistake when I made a male character. Everyone will always get obsessed over the mate part of the game and never focus on fun and detailed roleplaying. Giving out your gender on multiplayer has pretty much changed the whole point of multiplayer. When I view the chats it usually says "meat season" or "meats wanted" and I can't find a decent RP chat. Genders shouldn't affect game play but they have. So why give out your gender if it will only cause more people to go against multiplayer rules. Just my thoughts on this.. [/color]
I must agree on this as well. I never say my gender; but sometimes if Im in a really nice chat, sometimes people force me to say my gender. It would be very sad to see the chat box go. But I guess it could happen, with all the players creating 'Meat Season' and 'Meat Wanted' chats. No body does want to have fun wolf roleplay chats anymore. When I'm going to report a few chats; Im reporting constantly. Every minute there is a 'Meat Season' chat. I feel its unfair, because some people are new and they enter a 'Meat Season' chat and someone just says, 'Your my meat now!' and the new players dont even know what it means.
.//...'.'.'.'..(¨*.¸(¨*.¸´.¸ тђє คfricคɲ Stคrs Pคςƙ ¸.´¸.*¨) ¸.*¨)
.//...'.///////////.//////////'.'.'..Celebrating 2 years
...........Lithium, proud to be a Kuangalia of the African Stars Pack!
.//.......'.'.'.'..Come join the largest pack on WolfQuest today!:
..../....//.http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45816
/////////////////////////////////////Icon By Kivia

rose13

Post by rose13 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:00 am

genders honestly don't bother me much. When i describe in multiplayer i tend not to put my gender unless someone asks. Also i think it gets annoying sometimes with genders because of people wanting "mates". So if you say your a girl or a boy someone of the opposite gender will start following you around in RP which gets very annoying. So genders don't really bother me overall. :D

Dark Storm
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Dark Storm » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:09 pm

on my second thought i mean genders do matter and dont
they do because:
-it makes it more realistic
-its more normal to say he/she did blah blah blah than it did blah blah blah
they dont because:
-people will be like ooh i want to have pups and be your meat/mate
-people of the oppisite gender follow you around (i've had that happen to me before not fun!)
there yah go! i personally think you should make a thing where you say particual words and your out of the chat thats what they do in clubpenguin! XD

Dark Storm
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Dark Storm » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:18 pm

Fire Eternal wrote:To me, genders both do and don't matter in multiplayer.

They do matter in the fact that I want to know what to call you. I don't want to call you a they, because that's grammatically incorrect, and no one wants to teach the youth of America anything less than perfectly correct grammar! ....Ahem.
Also, saying it just... doesn't flow as well when you're rping in multiplayer. I don't want to say, "I walked over to it, a smile on my face. How are you? I asked, gently touching my nose to its." It just... doesn't sound right. No one would call a person in real life an it, and usually when someone does, it's in a derogatory manner. I'd prefer not to have to say the player's name over and over again, because that just gets.... really, really repetitive.

How they don't matter? Well, to start, there's those annoying, clingy, mate-happy females who want nothing more than a male wolf (whose player usually isn't even a guy to begin with) to call theirs. I mean, what happens when this user switches to another wolf that's not your mate? Usually, it'll cause problems. Also, it's unimaginably wonderful to do something like that. I understand if you're really good friends, and want to be each others' 'mate' or what have you, but picking someone you don't know at all just because he's available?
Also, I've gotten some, granted not much, pasta for 'being mates', as many multiplayer users will see it as, with a female. Eventually, they'll make the connection that she's a girl, and I'm a girl. Usually, they'll just be confused or assume I'm a guy and that they're reading something wrong or we're just wonderful and keep mistyping. Or they'll just refuse to believe. Whichever one, I don't care. When they confront us/me about it, I'll give the response that "Technically, on multiplayer, none of the wolves you see have any gender. You can barely say any gender-specific words at all, and the staff and team are trying their darnedest to get anything related to mates or genders out of the game. So, this means, that there are no gender, and there are no mates. So even if your 'mate' is a 'male' wolf, technically, you are both its who cling to each other uselessly."

It's actually really amusing to see the different reactions people give us. I should start screenshotting them sometime.

tl;dr
Genders matter in the way that I want to be able to use pronouns to refer to the different wolves. They don't matter in the fact that despite whether you're a male wolf or female wolf, nothing really changes. That, and they tend to attract all sorts of, generally, unwanted attention.
agree so much with this and if you want to be someones mate then go die in a hole get banned i honestly dont care but i mean if you do wanna be someones mate your sorta abusing the game since the game is suppose to be a pack hunting together not mating and have so called pups so i see no point in having a mate and its just plain weird calling some one a they or it so i think that who ever does want a mate should be banned [/color]

Tita
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Tita » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:01 am

thehusky wrote:Well, alright, to me, gender's DO matter. Why? Well, I believe that should be obvious, for one, the simple fact of the RP, I find it impossible to properly rp when all I can say is "it", last I checked, you don't go around calling everything an "it", it's just... weird, and two, this is a realistic game, completely removing gender's in this would kill the realism, sure there's the basic hunting and stuff... but genders are overall just... needed. Though still... I see no real difference in detail between the male and female wolf models, at least in my opinion you should at least add something so there some kind of difference, otherwise... well it freaks me out my male wolf looks like a ken doll, that's all, just my opinion at least.
XD Ken doll...

Yeah, I agree. Using 'it' and ' the other wolf' gets old fast and it is rather strange.
Go away, evil Mr. Scissors!

ArrowWolf005
Yearling
Yearling

Post by ArrowWolf005 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:18 pm

OK. I got what "meat season" is now. It's strange, "mate" and "meat" are so different!
sSilvers wrote:Every minute there is a 'Meat Season' chat. I feel its unfair, because some people are new and they enter a 'Meat Season' chat and someone just says, 'Your my meat now!' and the new players dont even know what it means.
It might even be intimidating. They're new, and they've probably just clicked on the chat because they're curious. And then they may send out a little tentative "hello" then someone just says
sSilvers wrote:'Your my meat now!'
. The term itself is very confusing, and sounds wierd. "I'm your what?" Wolves in real life don't do that either, they take time to get to know the other wolf. I'll stop my rambling here. :)
Arrow
Hunting with the pack for 2 years
Rumors
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=71954
Definition
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=72174

lone wolf2010
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: Chillin' with my wolf pals and watching Fullmetal Alchemist

Post by lone wolf2010 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:02 pm

@ cana (sorry, I can't do the quote thing)
I have an idea that in the intro message it could say something like "Your pups have grown and their different personalities have started to show. You may now hunt and bond with your pups/pack. Unfortunately, one of your pack has died and cannot join you now". It would explain the other wolves being able to talk and having their own personality, and why there are only five wolves instead of six. Also, the pups never really had genders in Single Player, so naturally they wouldn't have genders in the 'continued' game/pack (aka Multi Player) either. It's a small idea, but it might help new players. Plus, a lot of other players have wanted to be able to hunt with their pups, so this would help that as well.
__--*--__ I am from a world of wonder __--*--__
__--*--__--* Filled with howls of joy *--__--*--__
__--*--__--*--__ Come with me __--*--__--*--__
__--*--__ And join the chorus of wolves __--*--__

shadowwolf966
Yearling
Yearling

Post by shadowwolf966 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:49 pm

Gender? Ha.
Personally, I think it only matters in Single Player, regarding which gender will become your mate.
And for multiplayer... all it does is really cause problems. It's not like it really matters in terms of your wolf anyway. All it does is make the wolf smaller if it is a female.
.//...'.'.'.'..(¨*.¸(¨*.¸´.¸ тђє คfricคɲ Stคrs Pคςƙ ¸.´¸.*¨) ¸.*¨)
.//...'.///////////.//////////'.'.'..Celebrating 2 years
...........Shadow, proud to be a Tafuria of the African Stars Pack!
.//.......'.'.'.'..Come join the largest pack on WolfQuest today!:
..../...........//.http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45816

Siggie (c) Alpha Female

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”