Do genders really matter?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

ViperBrains

Re: Do genders really matter?

Post by ViperBrains » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:17 pm

I'm with everyone else on this one, I don't think it should matter what gender you choose to make your wolf. I don't mind when someone asks what gender you are, usually that's just for a reference of what the characters voice may sound like, but I don't like when they get asked to leave or change their gender to make the numbers even, it's very uncalled for.
☁️----------------------------------------------☁️----------------------------------------------------☁️----------------------------------------☁️--------------------☁️---------☁️------🌨️----------🌨️------------☁️--------------🌧️------🌧️----🌧️---------------------🌧️-----------🌦️--------------------🌦️---------⛅---------------------⛅-------------------🌤️------------------⛅----🌤️-----------☁️-------------------------------------------------☀️-------------------------------------------------------☁️-----------------------------------------------------☁️——————-☁️👒
(0u0)
/⌊_⌋\
🌻🌼 ---| | ---🌼🌷
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Av/Sobakka|Sig/Me

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:24 pm

Almondere wrote:I'm with everyone else on this one, I don't think it should matter what gender you choose to make your wolf. I don't mind when someone asks what gender you are, usually that's just for a reference of what the characters voice may sound like, but I don't like when they get asked to leave or change their gender to make the numbers even, it's very uncalled for.

Thankful I've never had that happen to me, sounds ridiculous!

I personally don't think genders matter. I don't think it's a big deal when people mention their wolf's gender when describing their character in a roleplay since it is part of their character and all, but is there really a need for people to get so obsessive about it? I see people enter RP's all the time and immeditaly want a "gender check". It's ridiculous :roll: you know the only reason they do it is because they're part of that weird group of players obsessed with having a mate.
"No matter where they are, the restless imagine being somewhere else."

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Name: Frodo/Jay

Post by Frodo1 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:38 pm

I don't really mind people asking about genders, especially in roleplay since gender is part of who a character is, but some people get wayyyyy too obsessed with it. I haven't done as much roleplay in recent months, and I have noticed things have gotten better since 2.5, but I've definitely had times where I've run into people who've just needed to chill o.o
I do find it helpful to know other characters' genders in roleplay, though, just as I like to know other details of their character (like personality, age, etc.).
JayPlays on YouTube
Nature and wildlife gaming videos the whole family can enjoy!
Join the adventure here
Av/Sig © me

ViperBrains

Post by ViperBrains » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:13 am

Adding onto my last post, I just went on and checked Multiplayer, there was a server open named “even number of genders” like, seriously?
☁️----------------------------------------------☁️----------------------------------------------------☁️----------------------------------------☁️--------------------☁️---------☁️------🌨️----------🌨️------------☁️--------------🌧️------🌧️----🌧️---------------------🌧️-----------🌦️--------------------🌦️---------⛅---------------------⛅-------------------🌤️------------------⛅----🌤️-----------☁️-------------------------------------------------☀️-------------------------------------------------------☁️-----------------------------------------------------☁️——————-☁️👒
(0u0)
/⌊_⌋\
🌻🌼 ---| | ---🌼🌷
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Av/Sobakka|Sig/Me

0927CanisLupus0927
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by 0927CanisLupus0927 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:32 pm

Wolvencall wrote:I could care less about genders. Wolves don't really have gender roles in real life. They do them; they survive. They don't care until its breeding season which shouldn't be apart of multiplayer Wolfquest and something I wish people would stay away from. This is a Wolf Ecology game not Tinder for Tots.
I totally agree with you. Sooo many little kids and teens who get all...:
Sammy: "I love you" runs off*
Alyssa: Runs after him "I lone you too!"
Sammy: "Wanna have pups?"

Anyways, there are so many kids doing things like this. It gets agitating! I am a literate WolfQuest player who plays the role of a wolf (not including the whole "Sammy+Alyssa" thing!
Have a good day!
|•|^=^|•|

ItsLiminal
Pup
Pup

Post by ItsLiminal » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:37 pm

The only time I care about the gender of someone's wolf is so I know, when roleplaying, what pronouns to use when referencing them in my paragraphs (and even then, I would never ask, because if they want someone to know their character's gender, they'll put it in their character description). Otherwise, there's no reason whatsoever to care-- especially in a regular, non-roleplay multiplayer game. In that case, why why would it matter? WolfQuest isn't a dating sim, and someone's gender doesn't impact the gameplay, so...

Mikaylawolf2
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Mikayla

Post by Mikaylawolf2 » Tue May 16, 2023 7:46 pm

Gender doesn’t matter to me to be honest I respect people pronouns and gender they’re people I honestly hate homophobic people and transphobic. WolfQuest is not a dating app it’s a simulation game.
Playing WolfQuest for 4 and half years

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Sun May 21, 2023 8:29 am

I can see it mattering for family roleplays and just generally knowing how to refer to the player's wolf (and besides, male wolves will be bigger so with some observation you should get a good idea). Some people want to keep their roleplays relatively realistic and diversify their characters, for example real life you won't have an 8:0 female-to-male ratio.

But 9/10 times it's always some 10 year old trying to play a cringe dating game. Never answer that question. It's a trap.
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

Wind_Shadow
Pup
Pup
Name: Wind, Windy, Shadow

Post by Wind_Shadow » Mon May 22, 2023 11:15 am

As a lot of other people on this topic said, gender is not something that needs to be known for the game. Most of the time it's likely for conversations or roleplays that break the WolfQuest rules, such as mating/dating sims. For an even number of gender, or kicking people because of their gender, that's just plain ridiculous! In the wild, there won't be a perfect, even ratio of male and female wolves in one particular area. And if a roleplay needs an even ratio, the only logical reason I can think of is because they want to do a mating/dating sim (which obviously breaks WolfQuest rules). Also, people shouldn't be discriminating against someone because of their gender. Scrolling through the topic, I've seen some arguments about how it helps to know what conversation to talk about with someone (one person even said they want to know what gender group they're talking to, so they know whether to talk about clothes/shopping or footballs/sports). I personally think this is complete nonsense, and goes back to stereotypes! Not all females like clothes, shopping, and dolls! And likewise, not all males are interested in football and other sports! You should have conversations with people based on what they like specifically, not their gender. Anyways, why would you even be talking about shopping or sports on WolfQuest? You can talk about life topics like that on other platforms, or with friends through another platform.
Now, some people do bring up a good point with knowing how to use proper pronouns for hunting and chatting servers. So I think it's fine to ask someone if they have any specific pronouns they'd prefer to be used for them, but if they don't want to answer, they shouldn't be forced to. It's very easy to use they/them/their, and other gender-neutral pronouns. Especially since WolfQuest is a pride-friendly platform, not everyone identifies within either male or female, and they should be allowed to use whatever pronouns they want. If people continue obsessively asking for pronouns after someone declines to answer, then they are likely either looking for a mating/dating sim, or are biased towards a certain gender.
Everyone has their own opinions, and should have their opinions respected. This is my opinion. I understand not everyone may agree, just as I don't agree with some people's opinions. But that's why it's called that: an opinion. So here's what I think, and I don't want to be pestered or annoyed by someone who disagrees with me and is looking for an argument.
The darkest night gave birth to a breeze,
Which grew to a storm, which shook the trees
A howl of fury tore through the night,
Fueling the fight to make wrongs right
The cry of the night was spread and thinned,
Carried on the shadow of the wind

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”