Do genders really matter?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Do genders really matter?

Post by Alpha Female » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:54 pm

Miku Hatsune wrote:We got ourselves a rebel here, because to be truly honest, I think they do.

I like to roleplay at least somewhat literately on multiplayer. Many of my posts are something like this (With cleaned grammar, of course.);
The wolf was draped in arcane desires as it tread through the forest. The male, whose name was Spades, licked his lips hungrily as he stumbled upon the elk carcass. He glanced about with his one eye, and quickly ate off of it and exited quickly, sensing another wolf on his trail.
Please avoid roleplaying on the forums Miku Hatsune, thanks! ;3
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Kate13
Pup
Pup

Post by Kate13 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:14 am

Honestly, I do a little bit. Here are a few reasons

1. Because if you are roleplaying a TV show or book series, if you cant say the name, some people might not unsertand your character without describing gender.

And thats all, other than what i've said, gender doesn't matter too muhc to me.

major-threat
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by major-threat » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:58 pm

Kate13 wrote:1. Because if you are roleplaying a TV show or book series, if you cant say the name, some people might not unsertand your character without describing gender.
I think Croix was meaning as in when fellow wolves on Multi-player Games ask about your gender, not when writing as a character of some kind.
. . . . . . . . . .. Adults deceive us with their senseless arguments:
. . . . . . .. The lecturers that appear in news programs -
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .. Criticise us with self-important attitudes.
https://bitly.com/SfvXE7 ~ ONE OK ROCK . . . .

Duskwolf11
Pup
Pup

Post by Duskwolf11 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:38 pm

I think that gender doesn't truely matter in a game like Wolfquest. But when roleplaying it can be used when interacting with other players(appropriatly of course). Is it needed and should people hound you for it? No, but people roleplay at different levels in my mind, it all depends on the amount of description you use. :D
'The scorpian plunged his stunger into the bird's back. "Why?" She cried, "Now we shall both die!" "Yes, but no matter what we say or do, nature is the one we shall turn to."'

Floofysaur
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Fwoof

Post by Floofysaur » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:40 am

I still say genders don't really matter, as long as the name if you tend to use one in RP isn't used for both genders which is fine...I mean as long as someone knows who you are that's all that matters.
But anyone can find out genders...lass tend to follow the lads around so it's pretty obvious on that part xD
Roses are gray,
Violets are blue,
I am a dog

Zamorack
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Zamorack » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:11 pm

Gender shouldn't matter when it comes to WolfQuest chat. It gets annoying, because I've been trained to speak with detail in 3rd person in many RPs, and not being able to describe my OC's gender becomes frustrating. In video games, it shouldn't matter either, but in some cases discrimination happens.
http://the-paige-meister.deviantart.com/
Interested in being a part of a completely RP-based guild on GaiaOnline?
Check us out! Link is my website on my profile!

ME3 endings, I am disappoint.

CupidLove
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by CupidLove » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:35 pm

Hi everyone,
Well im kinda new, So im thinking no because you never people would use it wrongly.

SilverSparks12
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by SilverSparks12 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:58 pm

I don't think genders really matter, i'll answer their questions but somtimes it gets a little creepy like you said Croix. Alot of times people are running around saying "I need a led", or saying "I'm a no meat" and the entire game they are looking for a male! And where does "meat" and 'no meat', or 'led' and 'alas' come from?
~Larkstar of The Four Clans

Bailee
Pup
Pup

Post by Bailee » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:30 pm

I haven't been online in a while, and I was completely unaware hosts kicked out users for gender!
I always hear people complaining that there aren't enough "males" in a chat (given that 3/4's of users in this particular community are female it doesn't surprise me) but because of the stated rules that people agree to every time before they play, gender shouldn't matter.
Of course, I'm always slightly peeved by the fact that I cannot say he, she, him or his, but I remember what WolfQuest was like four years ago, and perverted isn't a good enough word...
Nowadays, though, with the rules in place and mates not allowed, simply role playing completely void of gender is quite possible (and required), users just have to become accustomed to it.

♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ------------ ♠ ------------ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫

I take commissions for avatars, wolf character references, and anything under the sun. PM me with any questions.
Baileeluz.deviantart.com
http://baileeluz.deviantart.com/journal ... -340912806

_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by _Denali_ » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:28 pm

To me, gender really doesn't matter. All I care about is that other users follow the WQ rules, and that they are being polite. Whenever somebody asks for/discusses gender-related stuff in an MP game, I just ignore them. I find it really annoying that other WQ members can't just mind their own beeswax and act normal. I mean, seriously; gender really isn't important.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:14 pm

Genders don't matter to me in multiplayer, either. Generally, folks playing multiplayer 'assume' that their fellow players' characers' genders reflect their real-life genders, but please take into consideration that at LEAST 90% of the time this isn't the case at all. :-}D

At the end of the day, it causes drama and just general nonsense, so no, I do not see the concept of genders as important, seeing as the majority of the multiplayer population is lying to you/strictly roleplaying.

_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by _Denali_ » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:18 pm

I totally agree Koa! In fact, my profile/wolf is almost entirely based on my wolf RP character. So I just ignore people who ask or discuss things like that.

CrystalizedWolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by CrystalizedWolf » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:29 pm

To be honest i dont care if there are mp genders because you cant get a mate or have pups anyways so who cares.
Its annoying when I join a game and people say Crystal can you describe? So I reply Crystal, white fur friendly and like to hunt. The other people are like well are you a led(male) or a alas(female) so even though I dont care I say alas but ignor any male who want a mate.
Help make wolf quest more realistic

_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by _Denali_ » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:14 pm

Yeah, I certainly agree about it being annoying! I can't stand when people do that. It happens when I join a game, or even when I host one.

Not to back-seat mod or anything, but here's some advice. I wouldn't say anything about gender if I were you, because even that can potentially be reported as "participating in gender-related behavior".
Even though it's not technically asking for a mate or whatever, it can still be reported because, technically, it is participating.

I read this in the WQ Game Reporting board:
Please report people who:
•Host a mate-related or otherwise inappropriate game
•Ask for a mate
•Swear/curse or attempting to swear/curse
•Discuss inappropriate or illegal topics
•Harass or threaten another player
•Roleplay inappropriately (excessive gore or violence, gender-specifics, etc.)
•Pretend to be a moderator, administrator, or other WolfQuest Team Member
•Spam the game chat
So, because it says 'no gender-specifics or discussion', I really wouldn't say anything about genders in MP, just to be on the safe side.
(Moderators, please correct me if I back-seat modded or anything)

caninesrock
Pup
Pup

Post by caninesrock » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:59 pm

I don't really care about someone's gender when playing the game. Though in certain cases, it would be nice to be able to say simple things like "she", "he", "him" , and "her" when talking in multiplayer like if I'm playing a private game with one of my friends and am trying to tell them a story about someone so I don't have to keep repeating things like -insert name of person that may or may not even be in the lexicon- or -The lady- or -The man- every time I'd trying to refer to someone.

For example:
Disclaimer:This is a completely made-up story just used as example.
-I was at the mall today with Person X. We went into the arcade there and were playing games together. We decided to play Whack-a-mole first and she did better than I did. We then played Tekken against each other and she beat me badly. After that, we decided to go shopping for some clothes at JcPenney's and she saw a dress she really like and asked what I thought of it, so I told her that I thought it looked good on her,but honestly, I wasn't really sure.

Now, take that same story and try to do it without saying her or she.
-I was at the mall today with Person X. We went into the arcade there and were playing games together. We decided to play Whack-a-mole first and Person X did better than I did. We then played Tekken against each other and Person X beat me badly. After that, we decided to go shopping for some clothes at JcPenney's and Person X saw a dress Person X really liked and asked what I thought of it, so I told Person X that I thought it looked good on Person X,but honestly, I wasn't really sure.

See how repetive and ridiculous that sounds?

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”