How has WQ affected you?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

chickiefoo
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: WolfQuest & You - How has this project affected -you-?

Post by chickiefoo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:19 pm

WolfQuest has taught be tons of stuff about wolves. Before I didn't really care for wolves or know anything about them. But when I found WolfQuest in 2008, I thought it looked awesome, as I've always loved animals and nature. Plus I also love games about being the actual animal. At first I was very frustrated because I couldn't find a mate, but after I found out you have to go to all the territories and find a dispersal, then I was sucked in. Last year I even got to drawing wolves I loved them so much, as they were now my favorite animal. And so now, here I am, a wolf artist and wolf lover, being made fun of my older siblings for being a wolf freak. But I don't care. Now, I will stop my boring comment here and not bore you guys to death.
Bajj
Expert Wolf

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:50 pm

I never really liked wolves. Checked out WolfQuest on YouTube and at first wasn't impressed, but with most games when this happens, they come back to "haunt" me so I eventually give in and give the game a try like I did here.

I remember begging my dad to download this for me and asking for his permission... I didn't even know how to download things back then. My computer was in bad shape - outdated graphics card, barely any hardrive space left. It just changed a lot of things for me, and pointed out a lot of problems with my computer that I was eventually able to fix. (new graphics card, low space eventually led to an external hard drive which helped me a great deal and still does, and now with my better understanding of computers I've been able to clean up things myself that people my age don't really know which folders can hold up a good deal of space.)

I'm more educated with regards to wolf conservation than I've ever been, and, if one of my classes does go along with a particular presentation, I will think about perhaps educating my fellow classmates on wolves and WolfQuest and pass on what I've learned to them - most people don't suspect that I do these types of things but I'm just one of those "private" people. I don't share much with others, and I'd rather sit back, grab some popcorn and see what you have to say about yourself. ;D It's not that WolfQuest is bad or anything - certainly not. I just don't talk a whole lot about my free time to many people.

The community has also helped me change as well, in a good way of course. I've been able to help a few people with their graphics issues so they actually know what is happening when all the buttons are black and such, as when I experienced the issue I never understood what was happening until a year later, and then I was able to fully enjoy the game. It's also given strengthened my responsiblity skills, has helped improve my typing, and has also help my leadership (in a sense) skills as well. The whole avatar thing in 2008 really kept me sticking around and improved my art a good deal. If you don't believe me, just take my word that I used to draw blue blobs in pre-school to represent figures in my life, and absolutely hated art. For you folks who think that your art will never change - it does, and its possible.

I think WolfQuest will perhaps open a few opportunities that I won't mention as well - I'm sure you are thinking "...how can WolfQuest do that?" but in my particular situation, it may just be the case. (; We'll see.

LOL that was a huge ramble... sorry.

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:33 am

Great thread, Faybrin! It's nice to hear how WolfQuest has affected some people within the community :]

Anywhom, WolfQuest has certainly taught me a lot. Of course, as pretty much everyone here, I have certainly learnt a lot more about wolves and how they live, how they adapt, etc. and thanks to WolfQuest, I have come to love wolves much more than I did before I found this website.

However, WolfQuest has taught me a variety of different things, which sometimes help me throughout my daily life, actually, some things which I certainly didn't expect to learn much about either.

WolfQuest has taught me a lot about game development, and how much work really does go into making a game - all the planning, designing, programming, testing, bugs and glitches, etc. which helps me to understand more of why games take a while to be released (of course, I did somewhat understand, but I certainly did not know how much was REALLY put into making a game previously until now).

Also, it has actually helped me branch to other communities and make new friends there (e.g. DeviantART, FeralHeart, etc.), though, community-wise, this will always be my home (lol that sounded strange xDD).

This community has also actually taught me a lot about friendship. I have definitely a lot of close friends here, which I feel I'll stay in contact with for a long time from now (I still even have contact with those I met when I first started out here!). It has taught me how friendship can really help you push through bad times and how great it can actually be spending quality time with others. However, it has also shown me how friendship can easily be broken, and how we need to keep ahold of friendship if it's something which means a lot to us.

The community has also helped me to understand a lot more about teamwork and cooperation (for example, leading packs and what not), particuarly leadership skills. I feel like I'm still learning about it everytime I can on here, and the skills I learn, I use them to help me practically in my everyday situations too. Along with that, I've learnt how fun being apart of a team can actually be (never been particuaely fond of group work and what not... though thanks to this community, I feel like I've developed a bit more liking for it).

Overall, WolfQuest has taught me so much over the time I have been here (even though I haven't been here for as long as some others here. Even some things I have learnt which have been stated above, such as art), some things which I haven't even mentioned above, for specific reasons. I really didn't think WolfQuest would have such an affect on me, as a person - but I guess you learn something new everyday c: So, all I can say now is, thanks. Thanks for the entire WolfQuest community/team for making what WolfQuest is today! I hope I can continue and learn and grow more in various ways with this community ~
« A PRIVATE LIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE.»
•••
Icon (c) coyoteflu

Lexwolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Lexwolf » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:55 pm

WolfQuest, I must say, has changed my life, in albeit subtle ways. I've learned much more about wolves and other animals, and because of WolfQuest, I was able to have an amazing summer vacation and the best birthday of my life (so far). It's one of the only animal sim games I know of, and I have to say it's my favorite. I've met new friends and learned so much about everything. I've been able to learn how to be my crazy insane self anywhere, anytime. My writing skills have definitely improved a bit. I've been able to have some interesting conversations and share a few rants here and there. When I finally joined the forum, it helped me to stop lurking in the shadows so much and step out into the open every so often. WolfQuest is simply amazing, and I can't imagine how I managed to get along without it.
Wolves of the West Lands

Our clan is old as time.
Our history weaves through the decades.
Our leaders are young and strong.
And their story is just begun.

http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67979

Moon-Light-Shadow

Post by Moon-Light-Shadow » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:11 pm

The wolfquest forums and the packs I've been in have changed me, I'm more outgoing (Well, On here anyway!) and Bolder (Uh, Not really a good thing but....) and I can Talk a lot and Speak what I think, More (well somewhat.) that is somewhat how WQ has changed me.

dustydawn
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by dustydawn » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:22 pm

WolfQuest has changed me so much. I have come to love wolves more everyday, I'm just opening myself up to learn more about them.
Knowing so much about wolves because of WolfQuest, in Yellowstone, I get so many questions. From little kids to adults. WolfQuest is a great learning experience, you learn so much, then you can pass it down to the next generation or your friends & family. My family is very proud of me, about knowing so much about wolves.

Other then wolves, as SilverHybrid mentioned, friendship. I have met so many amazing, different people here. If your ever lonely, everyone is willing to say hello and talk to you. You may not know them in real life, but you can really tell what they're like in real life.

WolfQuest has made a huge difference in my life~ :)
" too many feelings "

" and love is a word used too much and much too soon "
icon : soranofavalor

NewMooon
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by NewMooon » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:09 pm

I remember how excited I was when I downloaded Wolf Quest. I first found Wolf Quest back in 2007, and joined the forums on another account I forgot the username to. Wolf Quest defiantly was not a disappointment. Over time, I have learned more about wolves, and respecting Eco systems from Wolf Quest. I find both the game itself, and the forums very positive. the game is a great representation of a wolf's life, while I have All ways found the forums very welcoming and friendly from the very start.
..........╔═╦╗────╔═╦═╗
..........║║║╠═╦╦╦╣║║║╠═╦═╦═╦═╦╗
..........║║║║╩╣║║║║║║║╬║╬║╬║║║║
..........╚╩═╩═╩══╩╩═╩╩═╩═╩═╩╩═╝

.........."life IS hard."
.........."~ŋɚɰ ɱøøŋ

Green Paws Team

TextArt© Nightly
Avvie© Crystal

Scout77
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Scout77 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:05 pm

Well the single player story never affected me very much, it was quite boring to me for a matter of fact, after I played it for a while. I mean, well, it was fun at first, but then it got a bit boring(I'm used to more action games and such, like on my PS3 and Xbox 360 :D :roll: ) But when I played the multiplayer, and I got really into role playing. I mean, I always role played by my self when I got really into a good book, but then I talked to myself and people thought I was crazy and needed to be in a mental hospital :lol: . Well now that I think about it i have always talked to my self... Well anyway, now I'm an avid RPer, and when i dont RP, I either get a bit cranky, or I need to RP immediately or I go cag mag, it means crazy, insane, and such, if you read a certain series you know what i mean... Yeah so that's pretty much how WQ has affected me, now I'm addicted not only to video games(I had already been an avid gamer :P ) but RPer....
EDIT: I have always loved wolves, but WolfQuest has brought that love to a higher level, and know they are not in second place on my favorite, they are my number one favorite animal!
Current Avatar: Shiny Female Houndoom
"FUS RO DAH!" -The Dragonborn
Anything is possible

"For the sky is hollow and the world is round"
-Eragon Shadeslayer

PlagueMutt

Post by PlagueMutt » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:57 pm

Like many other people here, WolfQuest has taught me a lot about wolves. I never knew about pack structure (I thought it was alpha, beta, etc. until I played the game), or how wolves hunt, how they cared for their pups, or what predators might be after wolf pups. Come to think of it, most of what I know about wolves has come from WolfQuest.

From my multiplayer experiences, I've learned a great deal about role playing. Role play wasn't the developers' goal, but multi is a great place for players to practice role play or just have fun with it. From WolfQuest, I've learned quite a few role playing terms, and how to type faster.

Games like WolfQuest have gotten me interested in gaming as a whole. I'm seriously considering game development as a future career. I love games like this, and I want to make one of my own someday.

Toralu
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Toralu » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:05 pm

Whne i first heard of WolfQuest someone told me it was educational and super boring. I didn't listen to the person so i tried it out by downloading it on my computer. I found actually really funa nd i learned somethings that i hadn't known before about wolves. It definatly did not turn me off.
...........T ● O ● R ● A ● L ● U
........“We are the music makers,
........and we are the dreamers of
.....................dreams”

.......................-Willy Wonka
..............Avvie (c) C-Lupus Sigge (c) Me

Violet-Shadow-Master
Pup
Pup

Post by Violet-Shadow-Master » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:28 am

I've loved wolves for a long time, I used to go outside and pretend I was the alpha of a pack of wolves. I was just browsing the web, extremely bored. So I just decided to google "Wolf games" The first thing that came up was WQ and it looked good, so I tried it. I'm very glad I did.
My amazing avatar was made by Crystaltheglaceon

susijuani
Yearling
Yearling

Post by susijuani » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:31 pm

-it helped me to learn english
-it help me to learn about my favorite animal...wolves
-it provide me hours of educational fun!
My avvie shop:
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=52966

Avvie by me!

SpiritPelt

Post by SpiritPelt » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:23 am

At first, when all I was doing was playing as a puppy. (This was way back) I went out to YellowStone, and we went to some zoo, I forget which one, but when we went to it, this wolf caught my eye, and from then I've always been fascinated in wolves. One day, after many years, I was looking up on google images "wolves" and then down at the bottom, was a small picture of three wolves (the WolfQuest logo)
That's when I joined WQ. I learned so many things I would have never learned, and I am so glad I joined WolfQuest. I learned all about what wolves eat, and what they do to protect their family, who their predators are, and I just really appreciate the WQ Team, and all they have done.

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”