Hawk or Eagle?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

What do you call the bird?

Hawk!
26%
Eagle!
72%
What bird?
No votes
I don't call it anything.
2%
... raven?
No votes

Total votes: 61

PlagueMutt

Re: Hawk or Eagle?

Post by PlagueMutt » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:54 am

Cresent Moon wrote:It is a golden eagle, but truely it looks more hawk like then eagle like, and I do believe certain types of hawks can take a wolf pup, but people can call it what they like, different places could call it different things, it could be a eagle here, a hawk there, maybe a buzzard over there.

I don't like it though, It tried taking a pup right from my mouth! I had a pup in my mouth and I tried to drive it off and it snatched the pup I had, I don't like the idea of a winged terror making things harder
I've never heard of any cases where a hawk has taken a wolf pup; every species I know of is far too small to take something as large as a six-week-old pup (I'm not sure if eagles can do that either. I'll have to research it someday).

Cresent Moon
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Cresent Moon » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:21 pm

*shrug* There might of once been one. But if a Eagle can take a deer, then why can't one take a wolf pup? I don't really like that concept since I believe birds shouldn't do that, but they do

PlagueMutt

Post by PlagueMutt » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:00 am

Cresent Moon wrote:*shrug* There might of once been one. But if a Eagle can take a deer, then why can't one take a wolf pup? I don't really like that concept since I believe birds shouldn't do that, but they do
I think this is one of the few cases of suspension of belief of the WQ team's part. They probably just added the bird to make it more exciting, whether it's realistic or not.

Cresent Moon
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Cresent Moon » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:28 pm

But I thought the game was suppose to be as realistic as can be? But I wouldn't see why a eagle would want a wolf pup, there are hares a plenty, surely a wolf pup isn't as tasty as that

okamiden02
Pup
Pup

Post by okamiden02 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:21 pm

Cresent Moon wrote:But I thought the game was suppose to be as realistic as can be? But I wouldn't see why a eagle would want a wolf pup, there are hares a plenty, surely a wolf pup isn't as tasty as that
well you're right on that one but there are some reasons why the eagle would want a wolf pup than a hare you see hares can hear the eagle from afar and they are fast enough to escape however wolf pups at that age are still cute innocent fluffy furballs and since they are usually under mommy's protection they aren't as alert as the hares and for the eagles they are easy pray unless the mother or father are close enough to protect them
accounts for now:
#1- quizilla: mysteryfangirl02
#2- okami-world: okamigirlfan02
#3- wolfquest: okamiden02
#4- the blackblood alliance: skaila02
#5- youtube: kotarou021
#6- immortalnight: skaila
#7- fanfiction: animefan02

not even fire can stop me

Marilyn
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Marilyn » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:50 pm

I call it an eagle. The markings are exactly that of a bald eagle's from what I've seen.

Plus that'd be one big hawk. xD

PlagueMutt

Post by PlagueMutt » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:02 pm

Cresent Moon wrote:But I thought the game was suppose to be as realistic as can be? But I wouldn't see why a eagle would want a wolf pup, there are hares a plenty, surely a wolf pup isn't as tasty as that
I believe the WQ team once talked about having a balance between realism and a game that people would actually want to play. I don't have a quote for that, though. Sorry.

Anyway, as an example, real wolves spend most of their day sleeping, not much fun for a gamer now is it?

April

Post by April » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:02 pm

It does have to do with real life. In real life eagles will go after a wolf pup if it is not properly guarded. Like all animals, eagles will go for the easiest prey. An unsuspecting defenseless wolf pup may be easier to catch than an alert, super fast, zigzagging hare that has a hole nearby.

Wolf Quest isn't a game about the balance of the Ecosystem. It revolves around wolves and what wolves often have to put up with. Wolf pups are often attacked by eagles, therefore it is added to the game no matter what the hare count is.
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack

jaguartail
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by jaguartail » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:05 pm

I just call it a bald eagle, I don't really see any gold on it.

April

Post by April » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:23 pm

jaguartail wrote:I just call it a bald eagle, I don't really see any gold on it.
A Golden Eagle is another kind of eagle, that's why. Bald eagles have white heads and brown bodies, Golden Eagles are brownish gold all over, which is why its called a golden eagle.
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack

NightlyH

Post by NightlyH » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:29 pm

I think people go too far overboard with this. I did some looking on the markings on the bird and it seems to be nothing! My teacher did not know what it was but from the size of it, it was a type of hawk from what we saw. The hawk's in Yellowstone are bigger and can lift a wolf pup.

Now, this information can be wrong also, what the WQ team wanted from this might be different than what I think or what people think... Just saying that you cant rely on this info...
Creator of Return of the Pack project
http://moca.games/

okamiden02
Pup
Pup

Post by okamiden02 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:42 am

PlagueMutt wrote:
I believe the WQ team once talked about having a balance between realism and a game that people would actually want to play. I don't have a quote for that, though. Sorry.

Anyway, as an example, real wolves spend most of their day sleeping, not much fun for a gamer now is it?
actually i think you're confusing wolves with lions.LIONS spend most of their day sleeping wolves go hunting howl or play with each other now when they have nothing to do they sleep but they don't spend most of the day sleeping you need to do your wolf research you know because for some reason you're confusing canines with cats :|
accounts for now:
#1- quizilla: mysteryfangirl02
#2- okami-world: okamigirlfan02
#3- wolfquest: okamiden02
#4- the blackblood alliance: skaila02
#5- youtube: kotarou021
#6- immortalnight: skaila
#7- fanfiction: animefan02

not even fire can stop me

Marilyn
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Marilyn » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:02 pm

okamiden02 wrote:
PlagueMutt wrote:

actually i think you're confusing wolves with lions.LIONS spend most of their day sleeping wolves go hunting howl or play with each other now when they have nothing to do they sleep but they don't spend most of the day sleeping you need to do your wolf research you know because for some reason you're confusing canines with cats :|
Not only lions/cats spend most of their days sleeping; many animals do. Even humans spend a large portion of their days sleeping.
Any animal would much rather spend most of its day sleeping - the rest would be spent hunting and/or fighting for its survival.
Wolves are animals of instinct. By instinct, they want as much sleep and food as they could get.
"Playing" is done to socialize and for pups to prepare to hunt and live with a pack. It's not for fun and it's very beneficial.
So yes, even your beloved wolves are lazy animals - what animal isn't? I know I'd rather spend most of my day sleeping if I were a wolf. Many aspects of a wolf's life is stressful, if you were a wolf, wouldn't you like to sleep that away on a full stomach?

NightlyH

Post by NightlyH » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:08 am

Lets get back on topic please (not backseat moderating... I read the rules and it states that I can remind people to go back on topic :3)

I still think it is a hawk, and eagle's diet is not made up of wolves...
Creator of Return of the Pack project
http://moca.games/

-Hades
Pup
Pup

Post by -Hades » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:30 am

I've never put much thought into it.... Sometimes I refer to it as a hawk, other times I call it an eagle. Either way, I don't want it to get any my pups. It's just too horrid to think their fate after the bird reaches its nest. ; ~ ; Mine isn't brownish-gold all over. It has white on it.
M Y T H I C A L

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”