Beng able to delete your own topic, good or bad?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Do you think users sould be able to delete there on topic if they want to?

yes
61%
no
27%
no oppinion
12%

Total votes: 33

tawny454
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Beng able to delete your own topic, good or bad?

Post by tawny454 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:29 pm

Have you ever created a topic, and regreted it? I dont think it would be like playing a mod, and besides you wouldnt be locking it you would be deleting it if thats possible.

If you find this topic bad, then please lock
Tawny
Tawny
Tawny
Tawny
Tawny
Tawny
Tawny
Tawny

The years have gone past
They flew like a hawk.
my time has yet to last
The seconds ticking away on the clock
A fast current on which we ride.
-me

Don't click here:
http://dragcave.net/user/tawny454

Zethra

Re: Beng able to delete your own topic, good or bad?

Post by Zethra » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:34 pm

Well, actually, you already can delete your own post and topics. However, you cannot if someone has already posted on them, if you there happens to be a mistake usually what you do is PM a mod asking for them to delete your topic or lock your topic.
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

tawny454
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by tawny454 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:36 pm

But mods allready have so much to do, i juust thought it would be easier to take control of your own topic, now that I think about that though, the power may go to peoples heads
Tawny
Tawny
Tawny
Tawny
Tawny
Tawny
Tawny
Tawny

The years have gone past
They flew like a hawk.
my time has yet to last
The seconds ticking away on the clock
A fast current on which we ride.
-me

Don't click here:
http://dragcave.net/user/tawny454

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:42 pm

Yes, I agree with that, however it's really not possible to do.
I tend to use a similar system to WolfQuest's boards for my pack, and it doesn't allow me to give permissions like that to users. (You can let members lock their own topics, but again that would probably be a bit much. You can always PM or E-mail it to Cana and see what she thinks on it.)

Again, I believe it would be a good idea. (same with deleting your own posts after a member has already posted) But, I am not to sure if it is possible to do so.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:03 pm

This is more of a discussion type of topic so I'll be moving this.
For tracking down inappropirate behavior purposes, it'd better for moderators/admins to only delete topics. Actually, we don't delete topics, we move them to a place called Trash to keep any inappropirate posts at another board where we can then handle the situation.

Spirit900
Pup
Pup

Post by Spirit900 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:22 pm

It doesn't really matter to me, if people want to delete their posts, I think they have rights to.
Any act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:27 pm

I think that its best to leave it to the Moderators. Giving everyone the power to delete their topics might not be the best idea, but that's just my opinion.
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:39 pm

Our job is to maintain order on the forums. If regular members had that kind of 'power', they would probably abuse it, and there would be no order.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:30 am

I agree with that, although it would be an easier method. (and if it was possible - which I don't think it is without making them moderators too, which that part wouldn't be possible either) I am sure there would be a lot of people who would take advantage of this type of power.

Atropine
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Atropine » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:22 am

Unfortunately I too believe it would only have a negative impact; if a topic contains something that needs to be reported, then letting the author delete their topic would only let them get away with it. I think it is best to leave abilities like these to the mods; any ordinary member could abuse this power^^

Swift Wind
Pup
Pup

Post by Swift Wind » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:55 pm

Atropine wrote:Unfortunately I too believe it would only have a negative impact; if a topic contains something that needs to be reported, then letting the author delete their topic would only let them get away with it. I think it is best to leave abilities like these to the mods; any ordinary member could abuse this power^^
Atropine seems right to me on this. i agree, with power comes abuse, and letting people get away with innapropriateness

Adalae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Adalae » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:58 pm

Adding on to Atropine's post...

It could also add a bit of confusion, for you could've posted on a topic and wanted to go back to see if anyone responded and poof: it's disappeared. That would be unfortunate xD
"Its not one of those things you can fix like you fix your bow tie.
.......... Dont give me those big wet eyes, Raggedy Man."

http://tinyurl.com/thefourclans

jaguartail
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by jaguartail » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:14 pm

Deleting topics that you made would not be good, as they could hide inappropriate stuff by doing it and then deleting it, and could also make the entire community wonder why a topic was deleted for weeks or months on end.

Locking topics that you made, I think that would just kind of encourage backseat moderating, plus it would be easy to play pranks(locking/unlocking a topic every few minutes to frustrate people)

But, I think you should be able to delete a post(but not a topic's first post), even after someone posted after you, just in case the post didn't really make sense or something and needed to be completely remade, but someone else replied before you had the chance to delete it.

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:48 am

jaguartail wrote:But, I think you should be able to delete a post(but not a topic's first post), even after someone posted after you, just in case the post didn't really make sense or something and needed to be completely remade, but someone else replied before you had the chance to delete it.
Technically, the edit feature is used for this. You do not need to delete a post to re-make it
I do agree about the "deleting/locking own topics" though. It probably would result in backseat moderating, which isn't a good thing.

The only thing that I'd see "deleting own posts" would be good for, is incase there was a lag and you posted more then once (and then someone else posted). It'd be easier for that, however they could still end up using it as a way to hide things. (plus I looked into it again, it is possible except you'd have to give them permission to delete their own topic aswell. Otherwise the permission wouldn't be possible)

However, even if it is possible I don't really think it'd be good for the forum. Since, it would be actually deleted (if it was inappropriate) instead of being moved to the trash. (This way an inappropriate user wouldn't be able to hide the act)
That said; being able to delete topics/posts even after someone posted would most likely be taken advantage of.

Wolf Runner1
Yearling
Yearling
Location: Currently? Probably either: Pluto, or Saturn. Feel free to check both places.

Post by Wolf Runner1 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:06 pm

Hmm, well I guess I kind of like the way it is now, but I would like to be able to delete some topics I've made. Except I can see some people saying things like "This is my topic, now do as I say or I'll delete it!" Which wouldn't be good for obvious reasons. :wink:
Profile pic via the lovely NatureGirl

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”