Is it Mob Mentality?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

oxoDestinyoxo

Is it Mob Mentality?

Post by oxoDestinyoxo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:55 pm

Not sure if theres a topic like this. But if there is please lock this down and direct me to the topic.

Ok so my experiences on Multiplayer have not been pleasant. Like the fact when I'm told to leave in a rude way and everyone else joins in. So I've been wondering, is it just the fact that us as humans dont like to be laughed at? And we just join in, no matter how unlawful it is? My views on this are pretty bad, but why is it that when one says something everyone else joins in? I was once talking to someone in a game while the leader was away, and when the leader came back they started screaming out me, and the person I was chatting with, even though they had been sweet, also screamed at me. I didnt take the offense, I just simply asked them why they tried to be my friend if they were just gonna hate me. So is it really just the fact, some are so ignorant that they'll risk a friend to keep their reputation?

Asheek
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Is it Mob Mentality?

Post by Asheek » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:08 pm

I think it is, From my experince they tend to go with the most assertive person in the game, even if it's not the host themselves. I always make the rule in my games: What I say goes, this is MY game and you wil abide by the rules of WQ and my rules or you can take a hike. Sounds rude but I got sick of people screaming at others to leave my games when I said they could stay :?
................................α s h є є k
.................קг๏ย๔ ๒єtค Ŧє๓คlє ๏Ŧ tђє รtคг lเﻮђt קคςк

oxoDestinyoxo

Post by oxoDestinyoxo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:12 pm

Asheek wrote:I think it is, From my experince they tend to go with the most assertive person in the game, even if it's not the host themselves. I always make the rule in my games: What I say goes, this is MY game and you wil abide by the rules of WQ and my rules or you can take a hike. Sounds rude but I got sick of people screaming at others to leave my games when I said they could stay :?
Yeah thats what gets on my nerves the most. Is when people try to take charge of my game. There should be "dominace" in being the creator of the game, and people should respect that. Not try to take charge from you. Its extremly rude and gets out of hand. I do agree saying that can sound rude, but its only to assert. "I created the game. What I says goes." I dont like taking it over like that, but if their gonna be behaving like that, they need to be told.

EDIT: Not sure why I always post these rants, I'm usually a very calm person XD

Asheek
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Asheek » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:45 pm

oxoDestinyoxo wrote:
Asheek wrote:I think it is, From my experince they tend to go with the most assertive person in the game, even if it's not the host themselves. I always make the rule in my games: What I say goes, this is MY game and you wil abide by the rules of WQ and my rules or you can take a hike. Sounds rude but I got sick of people screaming at others to leave my games when I said they could stay :?
Yeah thats what gets on my nerves the most. Is when people try to take charge of my game. There should be "dominace" in being the creator of the game, and people should respect that. Not try to take charge from you. Its extremly rude and gets out of hand. I do agree saying that can sound rude, but its only to assert. "I created the game. What I says goes." I dont like taking it over like that, but if their gonna be behaving like that, they need to be told.

EDIT: Not sure why I always post these rants, I'm usually a very calm person XD

Because you feel people need to know the issue silly X3
I can be rude when people ask for it, like sticking up for the 'weak' and pushovers who tend to allow themselves to be abused. If they dont leave, threating them a reportation(lol silly abrevation) will normaly do the trick to get them to shush or leave before they go over the top.

x-Riley-x
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by x-Riley-x » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:21 am

I don't like seeing this happen in games to poor gamers. I do stand up for them though, there is no reason for it, really. I think it may just be that by taking the more dominant person's side or the meanest one they feel as though they won't get yelled at to leave etc. They simply ally themselves with the bullies so that they won't become the victim. It's quite sad, really.
I M A G I N E . D R A G O N S
﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋
--Now don't you understand.
'I'm never changing who I am.

﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

Asheek
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Asheek » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:06 pm

x-Riley-x wrote:I don't like seeing this happen in games to poor gamers. I do stand up for them though, there is no reason for it, really. I think it may just be that by taking the more dominant person's side or the meanest one they feel as though they won't get yelled at to leave etc. They simply ally themselves with the bullies so that they won't become the victim. It's quite sad, really.
Yeah, I often look at the screen saying, "what the heck?!It's like sheep in here!" XD

RoarOriole

Post by RoarOriole » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:59 pm

That happened once when I made a game. xD They never listened to me. I eventually had to say "If you don't stop picking on them I'll close this chat. They can stay here if they want."

The people then screamed at me then left.

I honestly don't know why people get like that, but it used to happen to me all the time. I eventually got annoyed and didn't bother going on, aside from MP's multiple other issues, and my own (stupid internet).
I like discussing deep things, playing video games, and mentally torturing myself by studying C# even though I'm not a math person.

101wolflover101
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by 101wolflover101 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:22 pm

it happen to me on my old WQ account my name was midnight and it was peaceful til someone else named midnight came she tried to take my game i told her to stop she wouldnt she even forced some dude to be her mate on multi then i closed the chat :?
grr i is a wolf

WARNING: me is wolf out hunting

help
our
wolves
live

believe in wolves

Granger
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Shelby

Post by Granger » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:40 pm

My first rp i had a pack rp. There were the alphas and two others and a pup. We were all not the best at rping, but we kind of just ran around like wolves for an hour or two. Then one of them (who doesnt get on anymore) apparently thought it was a dating site, and from that one rp he came on every rp i made (VERY CREEPY) i didnt mind at the time, until i didnt get on for a week and when i did he said i was cheating on him and my thought was oooookaaaaay. . . i just kind of shut up and closed the game. Then a few days later i found out there was a possibility he was a girl. . . then i just quit coming on for a month. I was VERY creeped out. :shock:

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:55 pm

I find this to be quite common in human nature. Mostly, it's because they do not wish to get into trouble with whoever is "in charge".
At that fact, when it comes to someone being really nice to you... and then get a sudden turn around. It's mostly because they don't want to "loose a friend", "get into trouble" or "become an outcast within a sertan group".

I've seen it a lot, especially with bulling. It also happens when they're scared of the person who is "acting in that way" or making such decisions.
I personally do not like it, however it's very common in most human nature. There are those who don't go into that mode though.
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:58 pm

I think it's also a matter of maturity as well - I used to care about 'fitting in', but honestly...now I don't care. I make my own path in life - not try to follow somebody else.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Whippersnapper
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Whippersnapper » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:05 pm

>_> Thank you for making this topic; I wish to rant.

My thoughts on these people; eh. I find it quite pathetic to watch someone side with someone else just because they wish not to be bullied amongst the others, or because the user is the Game Creator. You wanna know the truth? A person who isn't the game creator could report you if your being excessively rude, wither your pack leader or not. Generally I don't see a lot of this, but when I have; it really annoys me. People seem to think that they must follow the demands of the pack creator; idiot, pointless, rude demands or not. I've been in chats when the Pack Creator starts picking on one chat member and everyone else joins in; >_< the point of this is? Generally it makes a bit of sense when considering that the pack creator is supposed to be the 'Dominate' of the group, but being flat out rude? Bluck.

I also agree with SolitaryHowl; people seem to do this out of thoughts of not fitting in. xP Being the oddball out of everyone I know, I've never cared about this & don't care about what people think of me on the game either. Usually I'll be the only one that ever attempts to enforce the fact of being kind to everyone else, but fjvfjbv.
................Whip

My original voice is thrown
Why won't the voices let me speak for my own?
On the outside I'm grinning like a Cheshire Cat
But on the inside I'm being tormented like a traumatized rat

...........Avatar (c) Koa

Asheek
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Asheek » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:08 am

Whippersnapper wrote:>_> Thank you for making this topic; I wish to rant.

My thoughts on these people; eh. I find it quite pathetic to watch someone side with someone else just because they wish not to be bullied amongst the others, or because the user is the Game Creator. You wanna know the truth? A person who isn't the game creator could report you if your being excessively rude, wither your pack leader or not. Generally I don't see a lot of this, but when I have; it really annoys me. People seem to think that they must follow the demands of the pack creator; idiot, pointless, rude demands or not. I've been in chats when the Pack Creator starts picking on one chat member and everyone else joins in; >_< the point of this is? Generally it makes a bit of sense when considering that the pack creator is supposed to be the 'Dominate' of the group, but being flat out rude? Bluck.

I also agree with SolitaryHowl; people seem to do this out of thoughts of not fitting in. xP Being the oddball out of everyone I know, I've never cared about this & don't care about what people think of me on the game either. Usually I'll be the only one that ever attempts to enforce the fact of being kind to everyone else, but fjvfjbv.

Compleatly true! I remember a whole room oing along with ome member claiming to be and admin when she was not. They even admited thay tthey doubted she was but never once opposed her when she started harassing this one poor child. I just snap at them and call them sheep X3. Oh, awsome username btw lol.

Grin
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Grin » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:23 am

Hm, I've never actually been yelled at to leave or something, but I could empathize with this situation nonetheless. As some of you stated, I think that users whimsically choose sides to be 'popular' or to plainly 'fit in'. If someone yelled at me to leave, not only would I think it's funny, but I wouldn't listen to them. The way to overcome callow users like this is to just ignore them and allow them to realize how frivolous they're really acting at the moment. Be the better, more mature person, and it'll all work out. =)

___┍ ɢ ʀ ɪ ɴ ┑___

▔▔┕ ʜ ᴏ ᴜ ɴ ᴅ ┙▔▔

Jayness
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Jayness » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Ooh, a rant. XD

Well, truth be told, I've never had to leave a game because someone was yelling at me. I think I would just stay in the game if a person ever yelled at me to just make their day.
..................αsριηε
......ωσℓfqυεsт cσммυηιтy мεмвεя

..Why run if you're already skinny?

Previously Aspine
──────────────────────────────

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”