"Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Zethra

"Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by Zethra » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:01 pm

Firstly, I have checked, and I do not see a topic generating around this subject. If there does happen to be one, and I have missed it. Please, feel free to lock this topic and direct me to said topic. Thanks.

I have noticed that there has been a few issues regarding the term; "saving spots", regarding open player games. And, I was wondering, what is your opinion on it?

Secondly, here is a little explanation on what "saving spots" is.

The term "saving spots" is used in reference to when a user is asked to leave/asks someone to leave because they are "saving a spot" for a friend, pack member, ect. This happens mostly with open multiplayer games.

This usually happen once a person enters an open game, that is treated as a private game, and is told/asked to leave the game. The main reason why people are asked, is due to them saving a spot for a friend or someone who has left the game.

Here is also a Quote from the WolfQuest Dictionary on the term "Saving Spots"
"Saving Spots"- Somewhat common behavior which occurs on multiplayer in open games, a user or a group of users asking a certain user(s) to get out of their multiplayer game since they are waiting for others [mostly friends] to join their games. - Telling people to leave your games [If they are open] isn't fair, open games are for everyone to join and are games where users are willing to play with anyone. If you want all of your friends and nobody else to join your game it is recommended you create private games, that is what they are there for, to play with users you want to play with and nobody else.
Source - WQ Dictionary - http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... y#p1271189

Here are a few things about Saving Spots (by Whitewolf700)
  • -You cannot get banned/warned for not leaving an open game.
    -You are allowed to stay as long as you please.
    -Saying "leave or ill report u!" is just a rude threat. 61% of the time, they don't report you. And if they do, then they find out that nothing will happen.

Here are some things to do in regards to saving spots(by -x-Silvie-x-)
  • -Being nice both when saving spots and when leaving/not leaving is the best way to go; it often keeps everything gentle.
    -Try to be reasonable; Open Games are for everyone, and thus no one has to leave, technically; but being polite really helps.
    -When a spot saver gets angry, a good idea is just to stay around and do random things until they settle down; otherwise they will learn that being mean is a good solution to their spot saving troubles. And if they become inappropriate, then report them.
Now, in regards to opinions, here is mine on this matter;

I, personally, have no issue against someone saving a spot for another person who has left the game because they have crashed or are doing something else (on be right back). Now, the only thing is, I would rather them resort to Private Games to avoid this issue, especially if it is actually working.

What I don't like, is when someone "commands" another to leave an open game, due to them "saving spots". Not only due I find it a bit rude, but I also believe that if said person where to want someone to leave the game (willingly) they should not be "told/commanded" to do so.
I think that it is okay, if they ask the person who has entered. Explaining, with a bit of detail, why they are saving a spot for their friend. And most of all, cannot use the Private Game function. (if it is reasonable of course)

Now, again, what is your opinion on this matter? What do you think of it, and what are your experiences with it?

This topic is not meant to cause an argument, it is merely for people to express their opinion on this. If this topic leads to an argument, I will ask a mod to lock it.
Last edited by Zethra on Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

Atropine
Former WQ Moderator

Re: "Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by Atropine » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:20 pm

I'm about on the same wavelength as you. :) It's understandable if someone has crashed in a game and the people there want to save a spot for them, but then again the users of that chat need to be prepared to face the fact that no one has to leave an open game if they don't want to. I'm against it when people save spots for friends who may not even come to the game - the private chat feature is there for a reason.

When I previously went on MP, I wouldn't have a problem with leaving a game if I was asked nicely with an apology; I'd leave without hesitation. However, I have experienced chats in which I have been told: "leave, saving spot". Personally I don't tolerate being spoken to in that way. I never get offended by behaviour sparked by the people in the chat, however I'm sure there are some people who have. :) There's a handful of members who threaten to report users who enter their chat and refuse to leave, and also act in an aggressive manner - something that could upset younger users.

So, my personal conclusion is that feel free to save spots - however, do so in a polite way, and if the person does not wish to leave then you will have to accept that; open games are for everyone.^^ This is only my opinion, so I hope no one takes offence - it will be interesting to hear other sides of this subject.

chickiefoo
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by chickiefoo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:33 pm

I personally don't mind it, if I enter a room and someone asks me to leave because their saving a spot, then thats just fine with me. Though I don't really ever come across people being rude about it. But I probably wouldn't be very happy about it...
Bajj
Expert Wolf

Flashing LiGHTS
Pup
Pup

Post by Flashing LiGHTS » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:36 pm

I, personally, have mixed feelings about this issue. If a person wanted to save a spot, they could direct everyone in the chat to a private game and PM the user they wanted to save a spot for with the details. I think it is rude to ask a person to leave, unless they state it in a nice and orderly way. Of course, if there was a player or two in the chat whose game crashed, that would be an entirely different matter.

[random] I used to go on multiplayer quite a lot, but finally got the hint and gave up when I was told to leave in three chats in a row. Nor did the people state it in a nice way. If they had, I would have gladly obliged, but since they stated it in a rather snarky way, I was offended-- and I'm sure many other users are facing this problem. [/random]

;P

Overall, I don't like it, but I do understand it-- if that makes any sense at all.
LiGHTS **
------------------------
"Show me what it's like,
To dream in black and white,
So I can leave this world tonight--"
------------------------

Check out my new story!
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=40119

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:50 pm

I don't really like "saving spots" for people on Multiplayer. If its a public game, everyone's allowed. If you don't like it, then open a private game. I've been in multiple games where they tell someone to leave since they're 'saving spots'. I just tell them its a public game, so anyone's welcome. It is kind of annoying though.
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

oxoDestinyoxo

Post by oxoDestinyoxo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:12 pm

I dont like the idea of saving spots. I personally think its kind of stupid, if you create an open game you make it for everyone, and if someone is on brb or crashed, well if their on brb they shouldnt have logged off. And if they crashed, well I blame their computer, not them, but I still dont like it. My experiences with being told to leave have not been pleasant, and the language people use are part of the reason my parents banned me from playing MP in Slough Creek, unless its a private game with my friends. If I'm the game leader and someone tells me to save their spot (I'm in AM at these times) I say I cant. I'm too nice to ask people to leave, and I welcome anyone with "open arms". Mainly I just use MP for playing games, sometimes we play tag or hide and seek, or hunt, so theres no reason for me to save a spot, since theres really no point in it.

happylolzgirl
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by happylolzgirl » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:15 pm

I think saving spots is ok if someone has crashed (as atropine said), or if the person specifically made a chat called, lets say, "Frost Come" and "Frost" hasn't come yet but the chat already has four people. I think they have the right to save Frosts spot.

Although when people are rude about it, such as once when I entered and as soon as I finished loading, I saw the chat box full of comments such as,"Get out" Leave now" "GO' "Beat it", I dont like saving spots.

I once reported someone after asking them over and over again to please leave, we are saving a spot (the chat was called thunder come) but he refused to leave and started calling us names. Whoever answers after you report, just told me to ext time makie a private chat.
Do you have a problem? I have a gun. I'll shoot you. No problem.-Billy Joe Armstrong

I am a ninja.
No your not.
Did you see me do that?
What?
Exactly.

Die hard Greenday and Edgar Allan Poe fan.
I support the Alliance

Avvie by LupinzPack

spirit77

Post by spirit77 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:43 pm

I agree! I hate it when people do that, pretty much the only games that my computer usually lets me in is ones like, Highschoolrp, AND games people ask me to leave. :( When I get into one of those like, the second I get in someone goes, "Leave now or I'll report you, I'm saving a spot!" I hate it when people do that, it makes me feel sad and mad at the same time, :( and once someone actually reported me after they yelled at me the first time I got in their game, and someone else called me a really really really mean name, I forgot their name and I didn't get a picture of them so I couldn't report them or else they would probably be banned by now, they got around the bad word by taking off the last letter. They were really mean to me! :cry: It made me feel like I wasn't worth anything at all, and every time I tell them to make a private game if they're saving a spot then they're just like, "How? I don't know how." I tell them how ad then, "I don't get it, get out of here!" I just DO NOT like it! It makes me feel worthless and empty. :cry:

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:57 pm

Yeah, a lot of people don't like it. Thanks for sharing your opinions guys!

@Hannahkav: It happens with a lot of people, and sometimes it does hurt I agree. However, usually people end up being worried about how the person (who left or crashed) is going to get back into the game. So, they don't really think about that matter. (some may not care though it depends)

The best thing to do is ignore them, and if people are being mean to you report them. (make sure to get screenshots, proof, and write their names down. They'd get a warning though, before being banned. If, they do it enough.)
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:47 pm

I'm a fence-sitter on this one.

First of all; as a moderator it's very annoying when somebody 'commands' me to leave. And, if I don't go because they are being rude, they threaten to report me. Childish.

If you want to make a game just for your friends; make a private game. That's what they are there for. Then again, some people can't make Private Games for whatever the reason.

But, on the plus side, I don't mind leaving if somebody asks nicely...though I still wouldn't leave right away. I'd give it a couple of minutes and explain that they should make a private game. And then I leave.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Wolph
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Wolph » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:13 pm

I don't mind as long as they actually have a reason (such as their friend crashed and they need an open spot so that friend can return) and if they ask nicely. But, I've also had a few who've bit my head off the moment I enter. Overall, I really don't pay any mind to "Saving Spots", I've even done it for a friend or two that have crashed.
╚╗Military╔╝
Olympics Team USA
_____ ѦԌѦТЄ CRЄЄҠ PѦCҠ
______________♠ gυαя∂ιαη ♠
2010 мαя¢н υѕєя σf тнє мσитн
Know as ✦ αямуωσℓf (αяму) ✦ and ♠ ωσℓρн ♠
Avatar © me - coloradospirit13.deviantart.com

- Skyler -
Pup
Pup
Location: I'm awesomeeeee, I'm SO awesomeeee, I am THE AWESOMEEE! And obviously, I'm very modest. :)

Post by - Skyler - » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:20 am

Nice discussion, interesting opinions, guys. >:)

To be honest, I actually dislike this "saving spot" thingy at all. Even with friends. Not to offend anyone, but then, Private Games are useless. And after all, that's why they are called "Open Games". They are open for everyone to join and play/stay as long as they wish. Most of the times, when I'm told to leave I'm told it in this way; "Leave we're saving a spot". And if I don't leave, the people try to curse or whatever.. "Grrr, leave I will report you!". When I started playing MP I didn't know that you actually couldn't report someone just because they didn't leave a game, so I was simply leaving and was moody for the next hour.. >:/ My opinion, no, I'm against saving spots. It's annoying. x.x
- Skyler -
WolfQuest Community Member and Lover
Proud Undine Falls Omega
Rainy weather fan
Piano player

portia
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by portia » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:30 am

I share the same opinion as many who have commented on this topic
Usually, when I play, it's an open multiplayer game and I have no problem with people coming in, but if I have certain friends invited, I make a private game, though there is one slight issue, some of my friends can't go in private games so we have to go multiplayer and they also tend to crash a lot. I try to save their spot so they may return and continue playing and do, at times, ask other to leave so that they may stay, but I always ask with multiple 'please's 'thankyou's 'sorry's and usually with an explanation. I am also willing to leave when others ask politely because they need the spot for a frtiend for whatever reason but I am against rudeness and threats to report someone just for not leaving.
I can see how people abuse the 'saving spots' thing, but it would work well if everyone was polite and used manners^^
________Ͽ.Լ ᴀ ᴅ ʏ || Լ ᴜ ᴄ ɪ ғ ᴇ ʀ Ͼ
__......._.http://nymah-rose.deviantart.com
____.───────────────────────
__________Is ɪᴛ ᴡᴏʀᴛʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴀɪᴛ
__________ᴀʟʟ ᴛʜɪs ᴋɪʟʟɪɴɢ ᴛɪᴍᴇ ?
____.───────────────────────
__._.______.___Av©Jewelz

AlbinoWolf6
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by AlbinoWolf6 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:59 am

Saving Spots in my opinion is not really kind I mean if they really eant to keep all of their pack members why not make a private pack? I have been aked to leave multipul games because of saving spots and I have witnessed saving spots when I am in the game. I know that on some computers it takes a while for multiplayer to work and thn once you get in the game without crashing they aske you to leave. I truly find that rude. Nice topic Zethra!
¸.*¨*`.¸ ωσℓƒQυєѕт cσммυnιту мємвєя ¸.*¨*`.¸
..¸.*¨*`.¸ υn∂ιnє ƒαℓℓѕ ραcк мємвєя ¸.*¨*`.¸
...¸.*¨*`.¸ Avvie by TheGreatAbyss!! Thanks! ¸.*¨*`.¸

KaidaRaccoon
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by KaidaRaccoon » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:23 am

I dont mind saving spots, but I dont like to save someones spot. I think you should make a private room for rps etc. if you have to save a spot, that way you wont hurt anyones feelings, and everyone can remain calm about people coming in and out of the rp. But, if they leave, and dont come back in about 4 or 3 minutes, I'm not going to save their spot :/
My wolf-Arrow

*Icon made by me*

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”