Your wolf's name and its origin?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Re: Your wolf's name and its origin?

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:17 am

Grizzer is my main character. He is named after a wolf at the International Wolf Center.

Rex is my second. Just because 'Rex' is such a dog name...thus naming a wolf 'Rex' is just funny to me.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

mossdog
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Moss

Post by mossdog » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:54 pm

My Main wolf's name is Beowulf (or Beo for short)
He is named after the ancient piece of literature, Beowulf.
For those of you that don't know what it is,
(I'm bad at explaining stuff) Wikipedia defines it as

"Beowulf is an Old English epic story consisting of 3,182 alliterative lines. It may be the oldest surviving long story in Old English and is commonly cited as one of the most important works of Old English literature.

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:20 am

Penelope's long gone XD
I play as a wolf named Chirp, who is usually 75% both strength and speed, and stamina is 0%. But on occasion when I play with other wolves, I'll edit Chirp and then come out with one of my usual three wolves, Unknown (75% both stamina and speed, my smallest wolf I play with), Azalea (is kind of small too, both stats as Unknown but for some reason Unknown is smaller), and then Hope (20% strength, and really high speed, and I don't remember stamina..). Hope is a white wolf with two scratches on her muzzle, Unknown is a black and white wolf with yellow eyes (so pretty), and Chirp is red and orange with eyes that match her tawny coat.

Bushmeat
Pup
Pup

Post by Bushmeat » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:06 am

Sounds fun, I might as well.

Buzza - My main wolf. He's named after the guy behind WolfQuest's signature soundtrack. :wolf:
Silverback - A large, strong wolf, 100 strength plus the Limpy trait and the Lamar Canyon Pack 3 pelt. His name was shamelessly stolen from mature male gorillas. He's usually pretty useless, but great for taking down those moose in multiplayer.
Sage - Invented after realizing I didn't have any female wolves. She's named after the plant, which happens to be featured in last week's dev video.
Snownose - You ever notice how the new pelts's noses have a strange white top? Snownose is named after the "snow nose" condition where dogs temporarily lose their nose pigment. Of course, their noses usually turn pink, not white, but hey.
Tannin - Made when I got tired of greyscale wolves and wanted something brown. I know tannins as the chemicals that make acorns bitter and nasty if you don't leach it out, but tannins got their name from being used in tanning hides and they're in a lot of foods. Let it be known I play my wolf simulator with class and science! 8) :acorn:
Boon - A small, insignificant fellow. His name comes from the word "boondocks."
Bushmeat - My namesake on here, since it seemed the most distinctive and less creepy than making my username Buzza. Honestly, the word bushmeat just sounds funny to me.

Personally I find most of my "best" names come from naming my mate, and pups to a lesser extent. I had a lot of playthroughs while achievement hunting and since there were so many and they don't stick around, I started to get.... creative.

Gry - Like 'angry' and 'hungry', the two main wolf emotions.
Ahoy - ...Get it? Ahoy, 'mate'-y! :P
Bond - The name's Bond. Pack Bond.
Orig - She had the original brown pelt and I hadn't seen it in a while.
Inal - Orig's replacement.
Noone - Pronounced "Noony," not "no one," clearly. :wink:
Ingot - Fresher than the tired old "Silver," and delightfully close to what I found myself calling a lot of my mates... Idiot.
Esperar, Gustar, Tomar, Estar - Need to dig up some identifiable words for naming your many AI packmates? Try remembering high school Spanish verbs.
Newton, Pascal, Joule, Watt - As above, but high school Physics. They get bonus points for actually being named after people.
Last edited by Bushmeat on Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:44 am, edited 4 times in total.

ovedur

Post by ovedur » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:25 am

• i named my current male wolf vaka. he's named after one of my favorite sigur rós songs; vaka is also an actual nordic name that's usually for girls but i thought it was cool and just stuck with it.

my female wolf is named sigrun, which is also a nordic name.

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:29 am

Aside from my main wolf, I have a new recent wolf (which is also a human character) named Phasoli. It means "bean" in Greek, and initially, the name started out as an affectionate nickname from Kamaal, a friend of mine.
||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||ЖЖЖ||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||
Writing is a job, a talent,
but it's also the place to go inside your head.
It's the imaginary friend you drink tea
with in the afternoon.
||,.°`°.,||Ж||,.°`°.,||
sig/quote © Kamaal/Ann Patchett

44wolfquest
Pup
Pup

Post by 44wolfquest » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:54 pm

I have many wolves, but I will name a few of my important ones.

Quest: The name just sounds cool, also, it is also based on the name WolfQuest!

Hinto: Named after a character in a wolf animation series I watch.

Spring: The name fit her well. Her coat is the color of dry grass, and I somehow thought Spring fit that very well.

Cosmix: (This one is weird) One time, my sister (2wolf22) was playing in my bring it on pup game. I was playing as Quest. All four pups died, and for some reason this new litter of four pups just replaces them. Silver (2wolf22) drops one near the creek and it dies. (I think they fixed that). We try again and another dies. 2wolf22 says those pups were clumsy and fell into the creek. My tablet keyboard wasn't working, so I couldn't name them. We said their names should both be "Clumsy Cosmo". After we reached the summer site, I created this wolf, with the name "Cosmix" as a variation of poor Clumsy Cosmo.

Cedar: It was just random.
(`*°•._(`°•._*+*_.•°`)_.•°*`)
For the strength of a pack
Is the wolf,
°•.• WolfQuest •.•°
But the strength of the wolf
Is the pack
(·(·(·(·•·)·)·)·)

Signature by Black Burn

local dreamer
Pup
Pup

Post by local dreamer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:52 pm

My main wolf (by a long shot) is Valhalla. According to Wikipedia it's a majestic, enormous hall in Asgard ruled over by Odin. I got inspired by a video game, though.
Here are some more:
Noir- French for "Black"
Athena- Greek goddess of (and I quote Wikipedia) wisdom, courage, inspiration, civilization, law and justice, strategic warfare, mathematics, strength, strategy, the arts, crafts, and skill. Whew.
Entropy- Gradual decline into disorder (quoting Google).
Helios- Greek god of the Sun.
ПӨBӨDY ƬΉIПKƧ ЩΉΛƬ I ƬΉIПK
ПӨBӨDY DЯΣΛMƧ ЩΉΣП ƬΉΣY BIПK
ƬΉIПK ƬΉIПGƧ ӨП ƬΉΣ BЯIПK ӨF BΛƧPΉΣMY
I'M MY ӨЩП ƧΉЯIПK
ƬΉIПK ƬΉIПGƧ ΛЯΣ ΛFƬΣЯ MΣ, MY ΛƬΛƧƬЯӨPΉΣ
I'M Λ KIƬΉΣП ƧIПK
YӨЦ DӨП'Ƭ KПӨЩ ЩΉΛƬ ƬΉΛƬ MΣΛПƧ
BΣΛЦƧΣ Λ KIƬΉΣП ƧIПK ƬӨ YӨЦ
IƧ ПӨƬ Λ KIƬΉΣП ƧIПK ƬӨ MΣ, ӨKΛY, FЯIΣПD?

Siblaime
Pup
Pup

Post by Siblaime » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:15 am

My main wolf (or rather shewolf) is named Meshki. It's a Persian word for "black". Particularly, black in an elegant and beautiful way :D As you can guess, it's because of my character's fur color (actually it's not really black, but very dark brown :wink:). That's it, just a random idea with no special backstory.
• • •
If life will pass, after all, there is no need for submission.
If submission is a must, there is no need to stay alive.
• • •
- A. Lahuti -

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:43 pm

My current wolves are:

Ava: I first created her in the WQ 2.7 demo and I literally just picked a coat I liked from the new coats and gave her the first name I thought of, nothing special. She's become my main WQ wolf though and I've become attached.

Audrey: Again, got bored, made a random wolf, gave her a random name, I don't use her much.

Fionnoula: It's an Irish name pronounced Finn-oola, I do believe it's the feminine form of the name Fionn/Finn. She was actually a concept for an elderly wolf OC that I decided to make as a WQ wolf, I started play the SP campaign with her, so she's a young wolf in SP, will probably make her character old if I ever use her for MP roleplay.

Isaac: Last, but not least, Isaac, currently my only male WQ wolf (I'll make more in the future). He was a random wolf I made to try and do some achievement hunting with and I've done some SP with him as well. He's named after Isaac Newton as that was the first name that popped into my head.

In 2.5 I had a wolf I used a lot named Dusty, she was a sandy brown she wolf and I used her for everything I did in WQ

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:54 am

Ooh, more characters! (Only two, heheheh)
Flight. She is my main wolf, with ridiculous features! White feathered wings and the ability to get moonstruck. A few other friends were inspired and decided to be my same species, one of them becoming my companion. We all hung out together, until one of us were caught by the bloodmoon and killed us, craving the sight of blood. Flight is a very aloof character, she's free spirited, clever and submissive, and annoyed easily. Her coat is white, with black specks here and there.
Kara. Kara is a long story... AND she's a human XD and again, ridiculous features (Though these are optional)! Kara never touches water, and when she does, it's a duck for the bathroom! -SPLAT- she goes when she shuts the door! (Heheh) Kara has green, round eyes, long, jet black hair, pastey white skin, green T-shirt, black denim jacket and jeans with flip-flops. Her father and cat died, leaving her with only her mother.
XD silly me

local dreamer
Pup
Pup

Post by local dreamer » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:16 pm

i know i've posted in here before, but i have changed my wolf's name to Keons
it's a twenty one pilots reference c:
ПӨBӨDY ƬΉIПKƧ ЩΉΛƬ I ƬΉIПK
ПӨBӨDY DЯΣΛMƧ ЩΉΣП ƬΉΣY BIПK
ƬΉIПK ƬΉIПGƧ ӨП ƬΉΣ BЯIПK ӨF BΛƧPΉΣMY
I'M MY ӨЩП ƧΉЯIПK
ƬΉIПK ƬΉIПGƧ ΛЯΣ ΛFƬΣЯ MΣ, MY ΛƬΛƧƬЯӨPΉΣ
I'M Λ KIƬΉΣП ƧIПK
YӨЦ DӨП'Ƭ KПӨЩ ЩΉΛƬ ƬΉΛƬ MΣΛПƧ
BΣΛЦƧΣ Λ KIƬΉΣП ƧIПK ƬӨ YӨЦ
IƧ ПӨƬ Λ KIƬΉΣП ƧIПK ƬӨ MΣ, ӨKΛY, FЯIΣПD?

Black Burn
Name: BB for short

Post by Black Burn » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:23 pm

Erémon - Inspired by the character on Albion: The Enchanted Stallion, I'm not sure on the meaning yet.

Evelyn - Also inspired by the character on Albion: The Enchanted Stallion, unknown meaning

Anoki - Cheyenne, meaning Actor. Chosen because this character is nothing but an act.
. . «`∙^«`∙ ∙`»^∙`» . .
. ⌐∙ . ∙•°F8°•∙ . ∙¬ .
So take the best parts of me
Locked away without the keys . .. . ════ =
= ════. .. .And know that I'm forever by your side
= «`∙^«`∙ ∙`»^∙`» =
avatar=Lupe/signature=TimberRaven

noir_187
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Alex

Post by noir_187 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:41 am

I play these two guys in SP a lot:

Greystone - name I used for an RP character back in 2010. It doesn't mean anything special and didn't really come from anything. He's just grey, stones are (theoretically) grey, and I felt it fit.

Ryoki - another RP character from 2010. I didn't name it for any sort of meaning (i applied meaning to it later) I actually named him after that weird rabbit-cat thing from the Tenchi Universe (specifically Sasami Magical Girls Club) except... that thing's name was Ryo-Ohki, while this guy is just Ryoki.

and my main wolf for MP and in general:

Nyx - named for the Greek goddess of the night, because I liked the edgy sound and because her fur is black lmao I ended up making it a theme for her family members to be named after figures from Greek Mythology and history.

and a couple other wolves i play sometimes:

Blythe - this is the name of my big guy, who i've had since i was nine years old. He wasn't always named Blythe (i used to call him PureBlood, because I was reading vampire knight and i thought pureblood, as in pureblood vampires, sounded like an awesome name) but i eventually changed it. I originally had it as his birth name which he changed later to PureBlood, then i scrapped that. He's just Blythe now.

Blythe is apparently usually a female name, but it's technically unisex and it's not that soft so it's fine lol it means "cheerful" and I chose that pretty much entirely for the irony because Blythe is really not cheerful at all.

Paint - i originally created this wolf as part of a challenge: design a wolf in MS Paint using only the classic default colors. And that's why her name is Paint.
formerly PureBloodVampire
icon by LupinzPack

Loach
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Jess

Post by Loach » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:46 pm

I like to keep naming themes with most of my characters and let them fit together like puzzles. My main wolf - Loach - for example, is named after a type of fish. Her siblings also have fish based names - Silverside, Quillback, and Lunge (from 'muskellunge').

Her father's named after a lake (Barron). Her mother has a typical, animal-storybook sounding name (Stillbrook).

By contrast, Cinnamon - the wolf I am currently achievement hunting with - was named by a friend, and she's quickly got the nickname 'Cinnamurder', from how many of her kills dot the map.
DeviantArt
returning member from ancient times

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”