Ideas for Future Updates

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Ideas for Future Updates

Post by Neamara » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:35 am

Are there any plans to bring back the "your experience" panel to track statistical info from the eras of Legacy and Classic for the Anniversary Edition? It was always nice to have the game keeping track of how many times my wolf had died, how many animals it had killed or thwarted, and so on.
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:46 am

Dave mentioned in the most recent devblog that the expanded Lost River map will be centered on an ancient volcanic caldera. While we know that this will impact what types of rocks we will see in the new Lost River map, I hope we'll get some other signs of volcanic activity in Lost River. For example, maybe some geysers, hot springs or other geothermal areas.

Some inspiration could be taken from Soda Springs, Idaho. This is a real town that I've done some research on recently. Soda Springs is known for having a geyser that shoots carbonated water into the air. Of course, in the case of Soda Springs, the geyser isn't entirely natural, but that would not have to be the case in Lost River because it is a fictional place. There could be a small area near the town with some geysers or hot springs, which would've been a city park at some point before the town was abandoned. I think that could be a cool landmark to include in Lost River, and I think it would fit with the theme of Lost River as well.

I know that the team might want to save geothermal features for another future map set in Yellowstone, and that would be perfectly understandable. However, I think it could also be a really cool thing to include in Lost River, perhaps on a smaller scale.

josefclark
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by josefclark » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:05 am

I strongly believe that the game would become more immersive if it included additional bird species. It would give the game's setting a more colorful feeling.

Loach
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Jess

Post by Loach » Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:09 pm

Neamara wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:35 am
Are there any plans to bring back the "your experience" panel to track statistical info from the eras of Legacy and Classic for the Anniversary Edition? It was always nice to have the game keeping track of how many times my wolf had died, how many animals it had killed or thwarted, and so on.
I vaguely recall this being something that may not come back since WQ:AE isn't a game about keeping those sorts of scores. Think it was mentioned around when Age Perk devblogs first came about since there's no EXP system anymore but that was a while ago now.

That said, I think it would be nice if the game gave this sort of result at the end of a wolf's life after it dies. Nothing super granular or that could be considered 'grindy', just stuff that'd happen naturally and could be seen as somewhat educational for a wolf's life, if that makes sense.

Examples:
- total successful hunts
- prey item you hunted the most (no number given)
- number of litters
- number of pups born vs how many died/survived to adulthood
- number of pups that were runts
- number of mates the wolf had

Etc.
DeviantArt
returning member from ancient times

SeaTheShe11623
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Seashell

Post by SeaTheShe11623 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 pm

OliveYips wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 6:34 pm
I have a few ideas. As the dev has mentioned, they will only accept possible, realistic ideas, in a Yellowstone setting. I will try to make these ideas as realistic as possible. :wolf:

Since the devs have decided not to add stranger wolf dens, I thought that they could add coyote pups and fox kits. Some AE players may be able to relate with me, as it would be nice to observe how other, non-wolf canids take care of their pups and kits. Also, as your pups are the only pups in the Slough Creek, it adds a sort of...emptiness. Of course, you should be able to attack the pups and kits. Since coyotes and foxes may not pose a big threat to the wolf, a challenge may be to dig the pups out of a deeper den. This would make digging a more significant feature in the game, as it is a thing that wild wolves regularly do. Maybe adding a feature where you can pick up the pups would add more cuteness to the game, though it is unlikely that a wolf would adopt a coyote pup or fox kit. But I will keep my fingers crossed! I don't see why adding coyote pups and fox kits is significantly different than adding bear cubs, which are a feature in the game. I hope you are also keeping cougar cubs an open option. :fox:

Being able to disperse with a sibling in Amethyst Mountain. As you see, dispersals are capable of traveling with their siblings. I have some extremely close wolves, and I would love for them to be able to disperse together. On the topic of the sibling staying or leaving after your player wolf finds a mate, maybe that depends on affinity??? They could join your pack to help out if the affinity is high when you find a mate. Also, maybe your sibling could be the breeding male or female of the pack and you could help out. That sounds unlikely as the game is about starting a pack, but it would be an interesting twist. :pawprint:

When the Saga comes out, I would appreciate it if you could add a feature where if your Ironwolf or Elderwolf dies, and there are adult offspring in your pack, you could continue the story of your pack playing as them. It would be truly heartbreaking to put so much effort into your pack, only to have it diminished by an unlucky kick or final sleep. After a death of a parent, the pack moves on, life continues and that would be a great way to represent that. In a devblog, it was revealed that if a breeding female or male of a pack dies, the other wolf will look for a mate and the pack continues. I hope you consider this. :flower:

Thank you for taking the time to go over this, and I hope you consider my suggestions.
Until then is it Olive, signing off! :leaf:
I really agree with you on all. Maybe also a few new animals such as black bears, porcupines and skunks. I think the devs are gonna add that though. I also feel that its kinda weird being the only animals with canine babies like kits and pups.

DOGTEETHxx
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by DOGTEETHxx » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:09 pm

These are some realistic suggestions I have for the game! I tried to keep them related to Yellowstone and Gray Wolves best to my ability.

QOL Game UI:

New Multiplayer Tags
  • "Not a Roleplay"
QOL In-Game:
  • Customization for Wolves
> Ear Tags
https://live.staticflickr.com/5595/1468 ... a9f1_b.jpg
Ear tags have been used in Yellowstone just as well as radio collars.

> Different Variations of Radio Collars
There are several variations of radio collars Yellowstone Wildlife Services use, and you could establish those as more customization options. You could even honestly just change the coloring of the current radio collar for a tan/brown one, pure black, grey, and yellowish/white.
> Fur Length Customization
Currently there is some customization for their cheek length fur. It would be nice to have more "fluff" customization for their underbelly, neck scruff, tail, and rump.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... -17120.jpg
https://cms.accuweather.com/wp-content/ ... .jpg?w=632

> Hazel/Green Eye Color
You guys have a really perfect realistic eye color slider right now, and it would be nice to implement a brownish/hazel or olive green since wolves do have a hazel color sometimes.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwnIoW2WQAU ... =4096x4096

• Drinking
Even if you guys have no idea how to work with thirst yet, you could add an animation for drinking simply for roleplay purposes until you all figure it out.
  • Drowning
For realistic purposes, there have been cases where wolves have drowned before from hunting or being attacked by rival wolves, crossing a river with swift current. There may not be many cases, but I do think it would be more realistic and dangerous to have! This can be implemented in a way if you have to cross a river with your pups, you can drown just like your pups might if the current is strong enough or if you have serious wounds. You could even only implement this in Accurate mode if you wanted as well!
  • Livestock
Since Yellowstone do have ranchers around the area, it would be cool if during the late spring during the summer season, there can be brown and black angus cows that are roaming in a large herd setting near edges of the map in the mountains or similar areas since that is the time when ranchers move them onto the mountain. Although it would be nice to add to the game, wouldn't be too realistic if wolves could kill them so easily since Gray Wolves in Yellowstone usually survive on Elk and calves/fawns. So possibly, putting them in enemy territory where it is risky to get to, as well as having them in large herds such as large as elk herds, as well as them relatively strong.
  • Bears Fishing in Streams/Rivers
I would love to experience seeing some Grizzlys fishing in the streams in Slough Creek. As it happens often in Yellowstone, it would be a lovely addition!
  • New Animations
I am sure these have been suggested before but I would love to see:

> Shake Animation
It could be possible for the shake animation, when exitting the water, if you stop you have the idle animation to shake off the water. If you were hunting and running through a stream or water and continuing to run, the shake animation wouldn't take place to interupt the hunt.
> Stretch Animation
Just a simple stretch animation that would go under "Body" in emotes!
  • Antler Shedding + More Realistic Implementations (Pelt Variation in Prey)
It would be interesting if sometimes around the map during the late winter to early spring, you could potentionally find elk antlers, deer antlers, or moose antlers to bring back to the den for your pups to play with.
This could also be an achievment if you bring an antler back to your den for your pups.

Adding onto this, it would be cool if we could have velvet on the bucks and bulls for when they are in velvet instead of sharp stubs.

This is an idea by DinoDogDude209 which I totally agree with on pelt variation!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CD0DV-NJWuh/ Several bull elk with their summertime coats.
Elk cow and Bull with their summer coats
Mule Deer buck with summer coat
https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/mule-deer.htm This page from the National Park Service website includes another picture of a Mule Deer buck with its summertime coat.
Credit: National Park Service, GoodBullOutdoors on Instagram

While this wouldn't change the gameplay of the Slough Creek arc very much, it would make the game much more immersive. And judging by the fact that seasonal color changes are already implemented with the Snowshoe Hares in the game, I don't think it would be too difficult to add seasonal color variations to other species.
Adding onto this;

>>> Coyote Pelt Variations

>>> Moose Pelt Variations
Something simple for moose, such as very dark brown to light brown
  • Skeleton Findings
Another interesting concept would be if you could find old remains of elk carcasses and be able to take a leg bone from them and bring back to your pups to play with as well!
  • Achievments
Now, another player, DinoDogDude209 has already posted a huge list of achivement ideas, which I really like a lot of them myself, as well as some of my friends. So I don't post a HUGE post, here is the link to their suggestion, if you scroll down the page a bit you can see it!
h ttps://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=78137&start=930

I would love to see more achievements implemented in the game, as I know a lot of people have already finished a lot of these achievements! More to do!

• Finding Out Your Mates Personality
After you get a mate, and you head to Slough Creek, hitting tab and looking at your mate, it would be nice to be able to see their specific personality slider similar to the one when you are customizing a wolf

Cautious --------- Bold
Loner --------- Social
Lazy --------- Energetic

These are all of the ideas I have for Wolfquest for the time being! Thank you for reading.

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:24 pm

DOGTEETHxx wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:09 pm
Finding Out Your Mates Personality
After you get a mate, and you head to Slough Creek, hitting tab and looking at your mate, it would be nice to be able to see their specific personality slider similar to the one when you are customizing a wolf
loboLoco's Letdowns mentioned why they weren't going to do this for pups. The same reasoning may apply to the mate? ^^;
DOGTEETHxx wrote:
Hazel/Green Eye Color
You guys have a really perfect realistic eye color slider right now, and it would be nice to implement a brownish/hazel or olive green since wolves do have a hazel color sometimes.
Eye of the Beholder suggests green to be "fantastical", yet it is somewhat possible between pale yellow and gray, though it's a very muted olive.

Support for hazel! It would be a nice colour to have based on the IWC's trivia in the tweet showcasing the eyes of their exhibit wolves.
DOGTEETHxx wrote:
> Stretch Animation
Just a simple stretch animation that would go under "Body" in emotes!
Support — the wake-up stretch in 2.7 and 2.5 was nice and I do miss it ... I'd love to see that brought back as an emote and/or have a selection of stretches. Emotes for other small actions to use outside of their normal cues — scratching, yawning, sniffing, and head tilting come to mind — would be nice to have, too. ^^

Revangrad
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Revangrad » Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:35 pm

Expand on territory Scent Posts.

Its incredibly tedious running through territories all day every day and renewing/taking over scent posts as well as howling 5 times in order to take the territory. You then have to rinse and repeat 5 times a day just to still lose territory when you sleep...

Suggestion:
-Remove markers for the scent post removed and instead the need to track down the post by smell creating a much more immersive and satisfying hunting style experience.
-Greatly Increase territory % for taking over a scent post/renewing yours to reduce how tedious it is to take over a territory and compensate for the extra time it will take.
-Decrease decay time for territories leaving more time for hunting food and raising pups.

Bug fix: cannot take over territories on the edge of the map leaving some dens vulnerable to the 2 hex rule for pups. map size needs to be adjusted to compensate.

Wind_Shadow
Pup
Pup
Name: Wind, Windy, Shadow

Post by Wind_Shadow » Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:42 pm

So far, I’m completely amazed by how far WolfQuest has come over the many years! Whenever I think I can’t be surprised, the devs go ahead and add something new and exciting!

However, I do have a few quick suggestions that might add even more to this already wonderful game.

1. Lost River Transition- Finding Mate to Establishing Territory

I’ve been obsessively playing Lost River since it came out, and I absolutely love everything about it! However, there is just one little thing I would like to see changed. After you find a mate, you immediately transition to establishing a territory. It might be nice if you could have a option to stay in Autumn/early winter for a while, similar to how you can stay in late Winter from Establishing Territory to Finding a Den. It would be nice to spend more time just freely roaming with the mate, exploring and hunting without the worry of having to prepare for pups and being closed in by stranger territories.

2. Dispersal Wolves- Adding pups to NPC’s

It would be interesting if, along with the set randomized dispersals at the beginning of each game, you could add some of the wolves from your other saved packs. Realistically, if all of the different packs were also around in Yellowstone, then the pups who weren’t played as by the player would likely disperse in search of forming their own packs. If a player wanted two different pups from two different packs to form their own pack together, or wanted to start a pack as the mate of a pup, they would be able to do this. Or, even to make it less targeted, when the pups reached 20 pounds, the player could choose one or a few of the pups to be added to a “dispersal list”, which will give a randomized chance at the beginning of each new game to add the adult version of a pup to the list of dispersal wolves.

3. Dispersal Wolves- Siblings

The player always starts as a lone 2-year-old wolf when a new game is created (unless the game is Slough Creek or they were otherwise aged through the game). However, most of the other roaming dispersals are with siblings, and of the lone ones, not all of them are two years old. So basically, the player wolf always starts the same way, in just one small option out of many. Agreeing with what some other people have said, it would be interesting if you could start off with sibling wolves, if your player is the pup of another one of your wolves.

4. Starting Age

Circling back to #3, the player always starts at 2 years old. However, many dispersal wolves don’t end up leaving their packs until the age of 3 or 4. So could it be possible to change the wolf’s starting age to 3 years instead? This could be helpful if the player is playing as a grown-up pup, and doesn’t want the pup to leave the pack until 3 years old and starts playing as the pup then.

5. Multiple Mates

In Yellowstone, there have been incidents when there were multiple breeding females in the same pack at a time. For example, 3rd mother, one of the wolves in the Building Character DLC, was one of three female wolves in the Junction Butte Pack to bear pups in 2022. So perhaps it would be possible in the future of the Saga for the player to have multiple mates, or for multiple wolves to have pups each year.

6. Joining Pack Members

Similar to #5, it would be fascinating if it was possible in the saga to add unrelated pack members to the family. In real life, wolves change packs often. For Spitfire, she was able to convince 4 would-be attackers to join her pack right after they killed her mate, and one became her next mate. This feature of adding other wolves, such as siblings of mates or even rival wolves to the player’s pack, would add another aspect of unpredictability and excitement.

7. Other Canines

It always feels rather empty that the player wolf is the only one having pups in the Spring and raising them through the Summer. Agreeing with several other people, would it be possible to add coyote pups and fox kits? Then the coyotes and foxes would have some motivation other than eating and surviving- they could be protecting their own little families. Maybe it would be possible in the future to add specific coyotes and foxes who stayed away from others of their kind in their own little coyote and fox territories, and had their own little dens. This could possibly apply to the- new recently added creature to Lost River (don’t know if I’m allowed to spoil it), since they would likely also live in packs.
Cougars aren’t canines, but I would still be very excited to see cougar dens and cubs in the game.
I know the devs are a little hesitant to add dens for other wolf packs, but once the saga is completed, it could add another aspect of reality to the game. After all, the goal of the player in the saga is eventually to create a strong pack big enough to rival the opposing packs, and if the powerful enemy packs attacked the player’s den, then why not the other way around?
Finally, for the other dispersal wolves. I was very excited to see the devs add dispersal wolves courting each other. Without that, it made it feel like every opposite gender dispersal was only interested in the player, and the same gender dispersals were just pointlessly there with no hope for a pack. But realistically, other than the established packs and the player’s pack, if other dispersals are courting, wouldn’t they be trying to start a pack, too? Perhaps you could add another small NPC pack started by dispersals into the game once the saga is released, with only a very small chance of one of these packs forming, and possibly only on higher level settings.

That’s all that I have for now. Sorry that this was very long. Even if you do decide to use some of these ideas, I know it will take a long time for them to be implemented into the game. So take your time, and I’m very excited to see where WolfQuest will go next!
The darkest night gave birth to a breeze,
Which grew to a storm, which shook the trees
A howl of fury tore through the night,
Fueling the fight to make wrongs right
The cry of the night was spread and thinned,
Carried on the shadow of the wind

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:22 pm

New area mentioned in 1.0.9g public beta changelogs had me thinking... we have scent view. Will we ever see any need for night vision/view if more areas were to take place in pitch black conditions?

Stelmara
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Stelmara » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:46 pm

A remote play option so we can share the game with people who don't own it.

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:26 am

Stelmara wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:46 pm
A remote play option so we can share the game with people who don't own it.
The game was formerly supported via Steam's Family Sharing. Unfortunately it was abused and the developer opted to disable it as a result.

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:07 pm

(Not sure if I previously suggested this here)

A fishing mechanic. Wolves, especially those in the pacific northwest, Canada, and Alaska, consume a considerable number of fish (such as salmon). For some populations of wolves, fish makes up 25%, or a quarter of their diets, and there is some evidence suggesting a wolf would prefer fishing over traditionally hunting when readily available (particularly in the autumn), unlike what was previously assumed wolves would only fish if their main prey became scarce. This makes sense because fishing is a lot safer than hunting. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 205633.htm

Yes, it's true that Yellowstone wolves have never been observed fishing (but they have been seen eating fish,). It's also true that they have never been observed hunting beaver, either. Yet that has been added to the game regardless. So accuracy isn't the issue here (I would argue that it's more inaccurate for a wolf to pester a random eagle until it dropped its fish)

Benefits of adding a fishing mechanic:
  • 1. More prey options available
    2. Would provide players with a new activity
    3. Would make rivers and lakes seem more useful, less of an obstacle
    4. Opportunities to expand and improve predator AI (grizzlies fishing)
    5. Rivers and lakes would be teeming with life!
    6. More achievements!
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

Invar
Pup
Pup

Post by Invar » Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:11 am

I'd like to see the fishing, frogging and a lot of the other unusual behaviors that have been mentioned here over the years. But I'd like there first to be a mechanic for your wolf to learn how to do it. Like maybe you have to try to chase a fish 1d10+5 times before fish become targets you can catch. Maybe the number of times you must try drops if you see another wolf do it. Learning new prey would be little easter eggs for players to find. And something like, you can't eat blueberries or wild plums until you're very hungry and near them when they're ripe, and you look at them in scent-view.

SmolGrimm2021
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Grimm

Post by SmolGrimm2021 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:38 am

Maybe a option or feature in multiplayer raising pups to let each player keep a pup or two? They can vote on how many pups they want to keep etc than when they leave the game when the pups grow up, they have the option of taking the now grown pups and playing as them. I asked, it was not in the game so thought Id suggest it :D
I like rp, film, and mainly cats/dogs :D

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”