Pup Survival rate for WolfQuest Wolves

Ask and help answer questions about the WolfQuest game and forum. Check the Knowledge Base first! http://support.wolfquest.org

Moderator: Neamara

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Pup Survival rate for WolfQuest Wolves

Post by -Wolfdog- » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:55 pm

Wolf pups in the wild face a 40 to 60% mortality rate, which is high (but surprisingly, not horrible either). The pup survival rate in certain regions was even as high as nearly 80%. In WolfQuest, just how realistic are the pup survival rates in relation to their real-life counterparts? Is there any data available on this? I have a feeling that it is higher than real life wolves, but perhaps not by much, since the majority of multiplayer games I've been in face at least 1 pup mortality.

Maybe (?) some factors to consider:
  • What is the main cause of death for Wolfquest pups and is this realistic?
  • How many pups die on easy? Challenging? Accurate?
  • How many pups die in single player versus multiplayer?
  • How many pups die altogether (single player/multiplayer, easy, challenging and accurate?)
I'm thinking of creating a survey for this, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Maybe this question could be asked on the Discord (although I myself don't use it that much)?
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

rowantobias
Name: Rowan

Re: Pup Survival rate for WolfQuest Wolves

Post by rowantobias » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:35 pm

i think balancing pup death ingame to reflect irl chance + nerf over-populated singleplayer packs is a really tricky thing. the devs definitely try their darndest to reflect it, but there's issues with it that have no real clear answer, including:

- dying from illness without making the player feel powerless/as if they have no agency/influence over the death,
- dying from predator attacks while making sure the fights are fair,
- dying from hunger without needing to force it (which i did have to, in order to fulfill an achievement, rather than having it just happen)

that said, to answer your question, the odds are generally 'accurate' to RL with some leeway to accommodate the player's experience. i think it'd be nice to hear feedback on what people would suggest for these issues!
⍋°⍋ the night wore on. the forest remained as still as stone. ⍋°⍋
⚘⑇⚘⑇ ( they / he | discord mod ) ⑇⚘⑇⚘