DLC coats!

Ask and help answer questions about the WolfQuest game and forum. Check the Knowledge Base first! http://support.wolfquest.org

Moderator: Neamara

solar-mutt
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

DLC coats!

Post by solar-mutt » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:15 pm

Hello, I have a question about DLC coats. I want to get it through itch.io and want to know if it works the same way as the base game does. With the base game I was able to download WQ:AE onto all of my computers and I want to know if the DLC will be the same way? Can I download it to different PCs? Will it be attached only to one account? I know I can use the Steam key to make it work but I only have Steam on one computer as only one is actually mine but I have the game downloaded to 3 computers total.

So my question is can the DLC be downloaded to multiple computers or is it specifically linked to an account? The other two computers have my brother's account but we share the computers.

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: DLC coats!

Post by Neamara » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:44 pm

Hi solar-mutt,

Speaking from experience, DLC is tied to the account it was purchased or redeemed with, regardless of the platform. If DLC is installed and you log into a different account which has not previously purchased/redeemed DLC, the content associated with it can't be used at all.

Unless you keep the DLC owner's account signed-in, it can't currently be shared. Hope this helps!
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

solar-mutt
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by solar-mutt » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:58 pm

Ahhh okay! Thanks!
Would it work if I bought the DLC through ITCH.IO and installed it on my brothers laptop and then used the steam redeem code for mine? I don't use steam much and don't know much about it. Thanks for your reply!

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:39 pm

solar-mutt wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:58 pm
Would it work if I bought the DLC through ITCH.IO and installed it on my brothers laptop and then used the steam redeem code for mine?
No. The Steam key included with all Itch.io purchases is a complimentary full copy of the Anniversary Edition and Classic base games. DLC is not included with the initial purchase at all unless you are buying the game plus DLC packs through Steam directly, because Itch.io and Steam handle DLC management in different ways. So if you were to purchase the Itch.io game, download and install that version to your brother's computer, acquiring the DLC is a transaction you're redirected to through the customization interface. Once it has been paid for on your brother's account, his account owns that DLC pack, and it will appear in the 'Account' interface. When you install the game through Steam on your computer, you'd have to buy the DLC separately for your own account if you want to use the fifteen add-on coats too.

If your intention was to share accounts, unfortunately this combination of Steam-Itch.io isn't really ideal if each of you wants to maintain a separate account; logging into a WQ3 game account on the Steam version will link your Steam ID to that WQ3 game account, which makes it very difficult to log-out without having to contact WolfQuest support. Any account sharing is best done through the Itch.io version if you don't want to have to buy the DLC again. (Disclaimer: I don't know what the WolfQuest Team's stance on account sharing is. It may be a gray area // done at your own risk.) Another limitation with sharing an account: it's impossible for you both to play multiplayer together even on different devices. I tried a few variations of this last year for Wiki purposes.
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit