Mate Permadeath Undead?

Ask and help answer questions about the WolfQuest game and forum. Check the Knowledge Base first! http://support.wolfquest.org

Moderator: Neamara

avalonslight
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Mate Permadeath Undead?

Post by avalonslight » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:28 pm

Sorry if this is the wrong spot to post this in, I'm just trying to get an answer. And yes, I've submitted a bug report.

So I started a new game today playing Ironwolf with mate permadeath enabled, starting on Amethyst Mountain

Through some bad luck, my wolf's first prospective mate was killed by a grizzly. Ok, fine. I knew that was a risk. Move on.

I found a second mate, got through the courtship process, trial, etc, and accepted him as her actual mate, giving him a name and everything.

I then progressed on to Slough Creek and...

Mate #1 was alive? What happened to Mate #2? It's Ironwolf, so I can't go back and have multiple saves or anything.

So I load back to the main menu, look at my wolf's family tree. Sure enough, it lists Mate #1 as Deceased and Mate #2 as current mate. I try to load the game from the family tree, set it to go straight to Slough Creek...

And it's still Mate #1 that's loading in. I can't seem to get the game going with Mate #2 at all.

Genetically speaking, Mate #1 is the better match, but that kind of defeats the purpose of permadeath and everything.

Has this happened to anyone and does anyone know what to do to get the game to load in with the appropriate mate? And yes, I do want it to be Mate #2. Mate #1 is dead.

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Mate Permadeath Undead?

Post by Neamara » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:48 am

Only your first mate is saved after clearing Amethyst. Any new mates after their death will later be unaccounted for even if the first mate who completed the trial period dies/is killed since the game will only save and recognize one family snapshot per Amethyst Mountain run.

Currently, there is no way to force-update your family snapshot in Amethyst Mountain. With this in mind, you'd have to restart the episode by deleting your game world save, and then go on to find another new mate if you still want to make the first mate's death canon to your run. (You will not be required to re-complete Learn to Hunt.)

Here's hoping that this limitation is not permanent.
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

avalonslight
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by avalonslight » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:08 am

The thing is the first mate didn't complete the trial run. He died just after it started, was never accepted past that trial period, never even got named. I didn't even get the "your family snapshot is now saved" message until after completing the trial run with the second mate, and when I go to the family snapshot, the first is listed as dead, while the second mate is listed as the current mate. The first mate never made it off of Amethyst Mountain, and I transitioned from Amethyst Mountain with the second mate, to Slough Creek where he mysteriously changes to the deceased mate. This seems more like a bug than a limitation.

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:14 am

Ohhh... yeah, in that case, that is some very strange game logic. :?
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit