Smaller screens can adversely alter forum's appearance

Ask and help answer questions about the WolfQuest game and forum. Check the Knowledge Base first! http://support.wolfquest.org

Moderator: Neamara

DaniBeez

Smaller screens can adversely alter forum's appearance

Post by DaniBeez » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:35 pm

I admit this is a mix of an FYI and a highlight of a feature/display limitation, because I am not sure if it affects many users here. I would be curious to know if others on smaller displays are experiencing a similar thing, though.

I recently got a new laptop, a 14" Acer Swift 3 (so I still can't play WQ, haha). It's running Windows 10. On this smaller sized laptop, the default text scaling is 150% (System > Display > Scale and Layout > Change the size of text, apps, and other items). My web browser is Edge, font size there is set to 100%.

Somehow, the WQ forum is the only place where these settings seem to have adverse affects. Here is what the 150% Windows setting does to some topic's cells:

Switching the Windows setting to 100% resolves the problem, at the expense of 50% smaller font:

So probably not much that can be done other than to "suck it up" and change settings on my end, but wanted to share in case anyone else was having a similar issue. I suppose phpBB coding might be what causes the offending text to overlap rather than wrap and begin a new line?
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Smaller screens can adversely alter forum's appearance

Post by Koa » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:58 am

Might this be an issue with your Edge browser? (Well, not the only issue - obviously if it’s just WolfQuest then it’s involved at some point, but I wonder if changing your browser can alleviate some of the issues.) I have a 13” inch Sager as my personal laptop and I even believe my Mac laptop is the same size. Things actually look a bit different on the Mac (everything is slightly bigger/not resized properly?), but on my Sager everything looks good. I use Firefox on my Sager and Chrome on my Mac.

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:16 am

That's true, I should try another browser just to see. Now that I think about it, my phone is way smaller and I don't have any problems reading on it using Chrome. I'll try Chrome on my laptop later and report back!

EDIT: Quick follow up: while I did not end up testing a different web browser at the time (I'm a little too obsessed about having extra programs; think I have some PTSD from an older bricked laptop lol), I just now noticed that the issue appears to have resolved with no action on my end... so some update to Edge, Windows, or the forum has corrected the problem since I first posted. Yay for easy fixes!
Last edited by Koa on Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: adding update from double-post
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:09 pm

Good to hear - I'm merging your posts for now since I don't think we've changed our double-post/bumping rule yet. (I usually just delete, add new information and repost to "bump" the topic, if that helps.)

Topic locked.