Weird game crashing problem

Ask and help answer questions about the WolfQuest game and forum. Check the Knowledge Base first! http://support.wolfquest.org

Moderator: Neamara

dvin97
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Weird game crashing problem

Post by dvin97 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:23 pm

Greetings everyone!

I have a specific sort of problem/question and I was hoping someone will be able to help me somehow. I've downloaded Slough Creek and have been playing the new WolfQuest 3 for about two days. Raised my pups, got to the final mission just fine (for the fifth time, I'm loving it lol!) and then when I went to play an offspring of my wolf, I got through Amethyst Mountain just fine, found a mate and everything, and then my game would crash every time I tried to enter Slough Creek. Then I managed to enter it about 3 times, and after a little while it would just crash again. I put my settings to low and everything, updated my drivers, reinstalled the whole game... when I reinstalled it, I thought everything was fine again, it kept me steady for about 10 minutes, and then crashed again. The screen just freezes and I have to ctrl + alt + del to get out.

I'm not sure anymore what the problem could possibly be, seeing as I played it normally for two days before it just randomly started imploding lol.

Hoping to get some answers as I'm eager to play some more! Thanks in advance guys.

~ Kaya

UPDATE: Now it crashes already on the first quest of finding a mate in Amethyst Mountain, regardless of the wolf I'm playing as or the quest I'm doing/map I'm in.

Guppy_Guts
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: Weird game crashing problem

Post by Guppy_Guts » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:17 am

Ive had this problem for a few days too! but the amount of hoops you have to jump through to troubleshoot your game before they say you can send a crash report is so annoyingly long I honestly couldn't be bothered. i play on a pc that has 16gb of ram, is frequently updated, radeon 1660 Ti gpu, intel core i6700k and i have never had a problem with any lag or crashing until this patch came out. amethyst mountain lags on the loading screen and almost quits, and slough creek is entirely inaccessible for me. Its just inevitable crashing every time i try. it is a true shame because i was kinda hoping to try to 'obtain the special coats' people talk about. :cry:
I am LittleStorm °˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°

dvin97
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by dvin97 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:01 pm

Hey, sorry to hear you've been having problems as well.

I've tried everything they said on the Reporting Crashes page, and nothing seemed to be working (or better said nothing on my computer seemed to be the problem). Then I simply sent an e-mail to the support following their instructions on what to send, and explained my problem, and I got an answer fairly quickly. I'm currently emailing with them and they're trying to figure out my problem. If we succeed, I'll let you know!

~Kaya

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:13 pm

I hit a number of crashes not too long ago -- within the past two weeks. I'm not sure if this'll help at all since I still don't know what the heck happened.

If you're on Windows 10, try to initiate either a Windows repair or a Windows Update. When my issues started, I was crashing every ~15-30 minutes, if not less than ~1h at my longest session, all the while with the game exhibiting small issues until the crashes occurred. (Black screen, brief glitchiness. Perhaps a GPU crash or memory running out.) Checked Event viewer to see reports of an application hang, and one game crash brought up a memory reference error.
What ended up happening after the graphics drivers refused to install was me attempting to check for Windows updates, which seem to have downloaded and installed, and ultimately appears to have resolved matters. I can run the game just fine now without crashes.

Again, no guarantees this is going to solve anything! Apologies if your OS isn't Windows, I'm not sure what to suggest if that's the case. ^^;
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

dvin97
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by dvin97 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:12 am

@Neamara thank you for trying, but sadly it didn't help. I have Windows 10 and I updated it then tried again but to no avail, unfortunately. The game ran smoothly for about 20 minutes or so, then froze, again.

WQ support told me through e-mails that my crash logs suggest that the game is trying to access an invalid memory slot on the computer. I personally have no idea what that means, but they said that it's essentially extremely hard to figure out whether it's about my computer or about the game itself. Even more odd is the fact that my game ran perfectly for two days and then just started crashing randomly. 'Spose that makes it even harder to pin down the exact problem.

I guess my only hope now is to wait for the new patch and see if it'll fix anything. Fingers crossed. :(

~Kaya