Do wolves respawn?

Ask and help answer questions about the WolfQuest game and forum. Check the Knowledge Base first! http://support.wolfquest.org

Moderator: Neamara

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Do wolves respawn?

Post by -Wolfdog- » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:24 am

Ok ok ok, last question... but do NPC wolves respawn? I mean, I killed a dispersal female and now I feel bad (can't kill a wolf!). Will that dispersal female, for example, ever respawn back? If not, then I'll load from my last save and let the wolf survive.
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Do wolves respawn?

Post by elkhunter123456 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:31 am

Well pack wolves respawn but dispersals will not respawn. I know this because once I killed all of the dispersals on the map and I no longer smelled dispersal wolves anywhere :twisted: . also if i were you, I would want that wolf to stay dead(less competiton and less danger :? )
prey:
hare
beaver
mule deer
elk
moose
competitors:
raven
eagle
fox
coyote
wolf
cougar
bear

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling

Post by -Wolfdog- » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:51 pm

elkhunter123456 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:31 am
Well pack wolves respawn but dispersals will not respawn. I know this because once I killed all of the dispersals on the map and I no longer smelled dispersal wolves anywhere :twisted: . also if i were you, I would want that wolf to stay dead(less competiton and less danger :? )
I like having the company of a lot of wolves (no matter how aggressive/annoying they are), wouldn't want to kill every dispersal because then that'll make me sad :c. Time to play on my last save!
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Post by elkhunter123456 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:05 pm

GoldenBeauty wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:51 pm
elkhunter123456 wrote:
I like having the company of a lot of wolves (no matter how aggressive/annoying they are), wouldn't want to kill every dispersal because then that'll make me sad :c. Time to play on my last save!
eh I never feel sad when I kill an enemy dispersal but i think its more fun with more dispersals on the map which is why i try to avoid killing other wolves
EDIT: are you willing to kill other dispersals if they kill your mate or steal your carccass?
prey:
hare
beaver
mule deer
elk
moose
competitors:
raven
eagle
fox
coyote
wolf
cougar
bear

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling

Post by -Wolfdog- » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:24 pm

elkhunter123456 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:05 pm
GoldenBeauty wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:51 pm
elkhunter123456 wrote:
eh I never feel sad when I kill an enemy dispersal but i think its more fun with more dispersals on the map which is why i try to avoid killing other wolves
EDIT: are you willing to kill other dispersals if they kill your mate or steal your carccass?

I attacked the wolf because it attacked my mate, but like you said, more dispersals on the map makes it a lot more fun. The dispersals aren't random, which makes them "not a random wolf" for me. I've never managed to kill pack wolves, once I ran into the entire pack. :o

[edit]
Sad news for me... I found a wolf carcass, probably killed by another NPC (another wolf most likely). I need some help to identify this wolf (dispersals don't respawn). I found the wolf carcass at the border of Junction Butte territory, so it's not clear if they were free-roaming or not.

https://ibb.co/LSM0C8z (dead wolfie)
https://ibb.co/99RGkJW (suspect, JunctionButte3F )
https://ibb.co/s1pMDpQ (map)

Lastly.. I haven't seen my mate's brother in awhile. Cinnabar 34M if I remember correctly. I don't want them all to die :'0
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

spruce56
Pup
Pup

Post by spruce56 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:18 pm

I started a list of wolves in AE, and while the Pack Wolves seem pretty consistent, the appearances of Dispersal Wolves seem to vary. I haven't pinned down whether they vary completely randomly, or if it's related to difficulty settings.

See if you can find your wolf here:
https://wolfquest.fandom.com/wiki/Stran ... 3.0)/Packs

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:38 pm

I know others have already answered this, but this is my current understanding of this topic:
Pack wolves will respawn after death, but this does not occur immediately. They only come back a while after they die, which means that no matter how hard you try, you will never be able to permanently kill off an entire resident pack, which is probably more realistic. What exactly happens when they respawn is currently still unclear, from my experience it seems like they respawn with a different ID number, but others have said that they respawn with the same ID number but a different coat. There's really no definitive answer to how exactly they respawn, but we do know that a beta tester (I think) on the official Discord server confirmed that the pack wolves do in fact respawn.

Dispersal wolves currently never respawn, and while some people have asked the devs to implement a mechanic to make them respawn or have new random dispersals spawn after one dies, the team hasn't necessarily been very fond of this idea from what I can tell. As such, if a dispersal wolf dies in your save file for any reason, it will be gone forever. Because of this it is probably best to get a mate as soon as you can before they all die in your save file, because that potential mate with 4 star diversity might not be there when you come back later. As such, it's a good idea to speedrun the Learn To Hunt quest if you're able to in order to begin looking for a suitable mate as soon as possible. If all the dispersals die in your save file, you will either need to restart the Amethyst Mountain episode from the beginning in a new save or find a suitable pack wolf as your mate (but bear in mind that not all pack wolves will be willing to become your mate and some may have lower diversity than other wolves).

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:56 pm

DinoDogDude209 --
Pack wolves do indeed come back, with the same number, gender, coat, and personality they had before they died. I found this out because I went and found a glitch that allowed me to blow through the entire Junction Butte pack before I began to see wolves rise from the dead. Then I left, disappointed I couldn't get rid of the pack :twisted:.
But dispersals do not respawn, as stated in various posts above. I usually only attack them if they stole my carcass, however, and in the Accurate settings, they're pretty chill if they're the same gender as me and we *usually* ignore each other.
But wolf carcasses weren't all NPCs at one point --Occasionally, you may run into a dead wolf that indeed got killed in a battle or hunt, but usually, the carcasses just spawn on the ground already dead. The same, I've found, goes for cougars --you can actually find cougar carcasses if you look hard enough, which is really weird. So I wouldn't worry about all the dispersals dying off. :)

Edit: Elk that you killed from elk herds also respawn, along with all the other types of prey (especially hares!), so you also don't have to worry about herd-thinning, either.