Funky coding when quoting a post

Ask and help answer questions about the WolfQuest game and forum. Check the Knowledge Base first! http://support.wolfquest.org

Moderator: Neamara

DaniBeez

Funky coding when quoting a post

Post by DaniBeez » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:25 pm

When I try and quote another user by clicking the quote button on their post, I get coding that looks something like this:

Code: Select all

[quote=[Username] post_id=2556648 time=1551772804 user_id=1016966][The content of their post]
[/quote]
This has happened to me before, but I honestly can't recall if it happens every time or not, or if this has ever happened to me before the forum update or not.
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Funky coding when quoting a post

Post by Neamara » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:37 pm

That's perfectly normal functionality as of phpBB 3.1.X and above.
If you don't want the timestamp, post link, and user ID of the person being quoted attached, the older quoting format still works-

[quote="Username"]Type your text here.[/quote]
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:02 pm

Neamara wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:37 pm
That's perfectly normal functionality as of phpBB 3.1.X and above.
If you don't want the timestamp, post link, and user ID of the person being quoted attached, the older quoting format still works-

Hmm! I've been converting back to the old version manually, but I see now in this reply I'm making that if I don't interfere with the new coding, it works. Does only this newer version of phpBB contain the ability to give other users a notification of a reply?

Also, when I use the quote button from within the "Topic Review" menu to quote you, I get the following instead:

Neamara wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:37 pm
That's perfectly normal functionality as of phpBB 3.1.X and above. <br style="user-select: auto;">If you don't want the timestamp, post link, and user ID of the person being quoted attached, the older quoting format still works-<br style="user-select: auto;">

DaniBeez
___Avatar by Sambhur

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:47 pm

DaniBeez wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:02 pm
Does only this newer version of phpBB contain the ability to give other users a notification of a reply?
Yep.
DaniBeez wrote:
Also, when I use the quote button from within the "Topic Review" menu to quote you, I get the following instead:
I'm unable to replicate this issue in any of the posts I quoted from the topic review section. Could you try it again with another board style active?
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:53 pm

That is good to know about the Notifications and the new code! I feel a bit silly for not making the connection sooner tbh :P.

But ok, I switched over to latte. Then I tried to quote myself/the last post as of this post on my Blood Moon art thread from the Topic Review page. None of the 'odd br style' coding occurred there.

Then I decided to just quote you again from this thread, while still in latte:
Neamara wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:47 pm
DaniBeez wrote:
<br style="user-select: auto;">Does only this newer version of phpBB contain the ability to give other users a notification of a reply?<br style="user-select: auto;">
Yep.<br style="user-select: auto;"><br style="user-select: auto;">
DaniBeez wrote:
<br style="user-select: auto;">Also, when I use the quote button from within the "Topic Review" menu to quote you, I get the following instead:<br style="user-select: auto;">
I'm unable to replicate this issue in any of the posts I quoted from the topic review section. Could you try it again with another board style active?
I then went to the "Forum Upgrade" post in WQ News and Announcements and tried it on alebrije's Feb 8 reply. No effect.

But then I realized, the only time it happens is when you quote from the Topic Review page from a post that already has new-style quoted content in it! To test my hypothesis (sounds a bit nerdy but, it works lol) I tried quoting my March 1 reply on the Blood Moon topic, where I quoted some users with the new quote coding. Sure enough:
DaniBeez wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:43 pm
Phasoli wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:34 am
<br style="user-select: auto;">Wow! This is absolutely gorgeous. The anatomy of a wolf’s paws and their snarling jaws is something that I struggle with, so when they’re replicated so beautifully in a piece it just blows me away! Stunning work.<br style="user-select: auto;">
<br style="user-select: auto;">Thanks Phasoli! I'm proud of this one's composition, as it is more complex that I usually do. The poses are inspired by compilations of different animal's body parts. For example, I looked at pictures of sleeping pet dogs for inspiration for the paws of the background one!<br style="user-select: auto;"><br style="user-select: auto;">I also agree that it is easy to get lost in the details of a snarling face. But my stylistic choices help to simplify it!<br style="user-select: auto;"><br style="user-select: auto;">
DinoDogDude209 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:15 pm
<br style="user-select: auto;">I love it! The wolves look very fierce, and I like the attention to detail as well!<br style="user-select: auto;">
<br style="user-select: auto;">Thanks Dino; fierce is what I was going for! Hence the open-mouthed snarl for the foreground wolf, as well as the dynamic charging pose. I also tried something new with their fur here; something to make it appear more thick and clumpy on their backs and necks. It worked, but could use some further refinement to add more depth!
So I think the key is to quote someone from the Topic Review page who used the new quoting code. I also tried quoting this same Blood Moon post above from the "main" topic view as well, and didn't get the extra code.
DaniBeez
___Avatar by Sambhur