Graphics Card (QL Part 2)

Ask and help answer questions about the WolfQuest game and forum. Check the Knowledge Base first! http://support.wolfquest.org

Moderator: Neamara

BlueLeopard
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Graphics Card (QL Part 2)

Post by BlueLeopard » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:53 am

Hello, everyone, Blue's here again. Alright, so I've browsed around, and I did find two things that could possibly help me to solve the lag on the 'Good' quality setting.

1) I found out I can just download a driver from GeForce.com, that will upgrade my graphics card.

"GeForce Experience automatically keeps your drivers up to date and your games optimized."

Or I may be simply mistaking drivers with graphics card, since the quote says 'keeps your drivers up to date and your games optimized'. Again, that could be my mistake.

2) I was able to find a free download for Windows, which is NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra, but the thing is, will this somehow harm my computer if I download it, or after I install it, is there a special method for me to setup for the graphics card to work?

Thank you, once again. I hope I don't cause to much trouble here, I'm just a little confused.
-
Blue

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Graphics Card (QL Part 2)

Post by Neamara » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:30 pm

Hi BlueLeopard,

1) GeForce Experience is an application only responsible for helping you keep your graphics drivers up-to-date. It can detect and optimize games for you, though not all games are supported or will not be detected and listed. :)

2) Use GeForce Experience instead. It is provided by Nvidia so it's easily going to be more reputable and trustworthy.
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

BlueLeopard
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by BlueLeopard » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:54 pm

Thank you for the answer, Neamara. c:

2) Alright, but how do I use it? GeForce Experience can't find my WolfQuest program, and when I try to find a folder which WQ is located in, I cannot get in there because the folder is invisible and the only way I can access it is right click on WolfQuest, and select 'Find Location'. But it doesn't work the same way for GeForce Experience app, I'm unsure how to find WQ on it!

EDIT: I found the "WolfQuest" folder, and I'm trying to scan it, so that the application can read it.

No, it still can't find it. What should I do?

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:03 am

Hm, I have no experience using GeForce Experience (there's a pun in there somewhere), so I'm not sure if I can help you with the actual program. However, I'd just like to point out that all upgrading your drivers does is maximise the potential of your graphics card. It won't actually improve its capacities. (Sorry if you're already aware of this and I am just explaining things that might be obvious - however, you mentioned "upgrading" it as opposed to "updating"). The problem isn't your software, but your hardware - the maximum abilities of your current card just are not powerful enough.
BlueLeopard wrote:2) I was able to find a free download for Windows, which is NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra, but the thing is, will this somehow harm my computer if I download it, or after I install it, is there a special method for me to setup for the graphics card to work?
I'm not entirely sure what exactly that download is. NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra is a model of graphics card different from yours. I'm assuming the download is a driver for that specific model of graphics card, so it won't do anything for yours. It's probably not worth downloading, even if it's harmless.

For reference, during the beta-testing period I still had my old graphics card, an Nvidia GeForce GT 520 (and I remember continually referring to it as a toaster), which still is a newer and more powerful card than yours. I kept my drivers up to date, but also could not play on the higher graphical settings without dealing with lag.. I can't find my exact framerates anymore, but it unfortunately wasn't great.

I do hope updating your drivers will help at least a little bit, but keep in mind there's not much you can do with your current hardware. I don't know enough about the hardware you mentioned in your earlier post to properly recommend a good graphics card, but I do recommend looking into a new, more recently released card - you don't have to spend a lot to get a large upgrade from your current one, especially if you'd look into second-hand cards. For example, you could get an AMD Radeon R7 240 new for under $/€100 (sorry if you use a different currency), and look what the comparison to your current one says :>

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:23 am

Looked into this myself and GeForce Experience doesn't appear to support WolfQuest. Or any games built with the Unity 3D engine - you may be able to use Nvidia Control Panel (right-click your Desktop or right-click the Nvidia icon in your taskbar area. Under 3D Settings, select "Manage 3D Settings") to add WolfQuest to and manually configure its settings in that list of applications. I don't know how much this will help; your system appears to qualify for the minimum specifications, but anything on 'Good' or above needs more video memory since the terrain in those settings uses a shader that is normally disabled in 'Fast'. (This is a likely culprit for the "lag" you experience in higher settings.)

Anduril's responses in both of your topics is fairly important information -- updating your graphics drivers or tweaking configurations via Nvidia Control Panel may increase performance, even if only very slightly, but it isn't going to address the limitations of your hardware. ^^;
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

Keyyva
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Keyyva » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:49 am

I have a Nvidia graphics card and GeForce Experience.
All that the optimizing games feature does is set the in-game settings for you :: it is meant more for those higher quality games with hundreds of settings so you don't have to set them all yourself.
Since Wolf Quest's settings has only about 3-5 graphics settings to set, I would not worry about the optimizing feature. "Optimizing Wolf Quest" with GeForce Experience wont make WQ run any smoother on the 'Good' setting.
I would say, the best you can do is keep your graphics drivers up to date with GeForce Experience and set the in-game WQ settings yourself to balance quality and performance. (btw, when I add WQ's folder and scan, it also does not show up for me so that's normal)

Neamara said something about the Nvidia Control Panel. You would be able to change if WQ uses the integrated graphics (your processor, intel or something) or Nvidia, and a few advanced settings that I have no idea what they do. Although i'm sure that Nvidia is already running WQ on your computer, you could set it to Nvidia just to make sure.

One more thing I think is important to mention (this goes for all windows laptops) is to check your power settings. Right click on the battery icon in the task bar and select "Power Options". Make sure "High Performance" is checked. Not sure how much of a difference that would make, but if you go from a super duper energy saver to high performance power setting, I think it will be enough to notice.

Like Anduril was saying, you can only go so far with your hardware. It's possible your graphics card just cant handle the 'good' setting in which case, the physical hardware would have to be replaced/upgraded.
Character © Keyyva
Avatar © Vexi - http://vexiwolf.deviantart.com [Used with permission]