Among Us

Discuss other games. (Video games, tabletop games, etc.)

Moderator: Neamara

xc92u3

Among Us

Post by xc92u3 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:45 am

Among Us is an Innersloth online chat-based game that is compatible with several different platforms (but not on Kindle, unfortunately), that was released in 2018 and appears to be growing immensely in popularity. Its games consist of four-ten players at a time. You can choose whether or not to have your chat censored.
So, basically, once you jump into a game, you'll find yourself in a space shuttle with other players popping in and out of the game. This is the pre-game waiting room. You will be a short, odd, cute and stubby-looking character in a space suit that will be colored as any of the following: Red, orange, yellow, lime, (darker) green, cyan/aqua, (darker) blue, purple, white, brown, or black. To change your suit color, go over to that little computer-looking thing towards the middle-left of the room, and then you can customize from there (along with the game settings, if you're the host).
When the game starts, a partially skippable animation will play, which reveals whether you are a crewmate or an impostor.

Crewmate Gameplay
Spoiler
Show
If you are selected as a crewmate, you will find yourself on the map of a spaceship, with a list of tasks to complete. Example: "Electrical: Fix wires". You must go to the corresponding room and then look for a glowing object or panel. You can either tap/click the glowing object or just use the "Use" button that lights up when the object is approached. After a task is completed, a bar above your list of tasks will gradually fill up with green as the crewmate players all around the ship continue to do tasks.
The crewmates win the game when either the task bar is completely full for a period of time (as I understand it), or the impostors leave the game.

Impostor Gameplay
Spoiler
Show
If there are 7-10 players in the game, there will be more than one impostor and the game also reveals who they are. None of the crewmate players know that you are an impostor.
As an impostor, your main goal is to kill the crew by any means, whether it is by hand or by sabotaging the ship. Impostors are also the only ones who can travel through vents, so be sure not to do it in front of anyone. Impostors also have a list of fake tasks, and pretend to carry out these tasks to make it look like they are a crewmate instead of an impostor. They may stand at an often-used object where a task takes place as if they are doing it, but they are not. No one else, however, can really tell. Impostors fake tasks to avoid suspicion. The impostors work together to win the game and try to cover for each other (or one reveals who the other one-two impostors are and the game turns into pure chaos).
Impostors can sabotage the ship by tapping/clicking the button to the bottom-right of the screen that says "Sabotage". This will pull up a map of the ship. The buttons with X's in them are what shut doors to trap victims in a room, and any others are what will impact the entire crew, and possibly kill the crew. It is best to sabotage when you are at the end of fak.ing a task.
Impostors can also kill other crewmates simply by pressing the "Kill" button when they are close enough to a crewmate. The victim immediately dies and can no longer be seen in the chat or participate in voting. They will become a ghost.

Reporting Bodies, and Emergency Meetings
Spoiler
Show
If you find the remains of a dead player, or if you killed a player and want to seem like you didn't do it, the "Report" button will light up. Often, I don't see the body, I just see the "Report" button light up and so I click it, because apparently I'm blind. This will then teleport the game's players (including ghosts) to the cafeteria. A list of the players will pop up, and players are able to chat again (players are unable to chat if they are not in a meeting). Generally, everyone in the game will ask in what room the body was found, and if anyone has been acting suspicious. Often, players will also tell what they were doing and where they were when the body was reported. When it is time to vote, you minimize the chat and go back to the list of players. If you tap/click a player and then the check-mark, you have voted for that person to be ejected from the ship. You can also skip voting, or just not vote at all.
Emergency meetings are exactly the same as reporting a body. If you start an emergency meeting by going to the big table in the cafeteria and pressing the big red button, the chat --and voting options --will interrupt the game and bring everyone's attention to the reason why you called the meeting. Generally, emergency meetings are meant for reporting suspicious behavior, but they can also be used for other things. I call meetings if a player is chasing/following me without a reason, if I saw someone vent, or if I generally just know who the impostor is.

Ghosts
Spoiler
Show
Crewmates become ghosts by either being ejected from the ship or by being killed by an impostor. Unlike the living players, dead players can chat at any time, even outside of meetings, and only other ghosts will be able to see what you put in the chat. Living players also cannot see ghosts, but ghosts can see other ghosts, and ghosts can float through walls and maneuver a lot faster through the ship this way. You can still do tasks as a crewmate ghost and win the game.
Impostors become ghosts only by being ejected while another --or two more --impostors remain. You cannot kill players, but you can still sabotage. I have found that I almost always win if I sabotage the oxygen as an impostor ghost.

Suspicious Behavior
Spoiler
Show
Honestly, sometimes it's fun to act suspicious on purpose just to throw everybody off. Such actions consist of following people around, popping into random large rooms as if to check if anyone's there and then walking right back out, standing idle near vents, ignoring tasks/fak.ing tasks for too short/long, standing near bodies and not reporting them, telling people to just skip voting in the chat during meetings since no one knows who it is, remaining quiet in the chat or giving what seems like too many details (honestly, I like details, but some others don't), happening to pause walking right before a sabotage is set off, task bar doesn't seem to fill up when you do non-visual tasks, and constantly accusing other players of being "sus" (suspicious). Most of these actions, when viewed by other crewmates, lead to emergency meetings that then result in the suspect being ejected from the ship.

This game is really fun, very fast-paced, and kind of intense. I have a lot of gameplay stories, and I wonder what stories some others have as well.
My Strategies
Spoiler
Show
Generally, when I'm crewmate, I am very busy running all around the ship doings tasks as fast as I can. When I'm finished with them, I then practically run in circles around the ship searching for bodies to report/suspicious behavior. Often, when the lights are sabotaged and all crewmates' visions are heavily reduced, I don't go to fix the lights. I usually do my next task before going to fix them, or just completely ignore them. The reason for this is if I'm found alone trying to fix the lights, the impostor may kill me very easily. And again, if everyone in the game is hording around the lights trying to fix them, the impostor could very much be in that group and easily kill one of the players without anyone seeing who did it, because everyone was in the way. That, and the lights are not an essential part of the ship. However, the oxygen and the reactor are. I always go to fix those whether I'm crewmate or impostor, and if I'm impostor, I often kill along the way.
I do not even try to fake visual tasks. Visual tasks are tasks a crewmate carries out that others can see. For instance, if someone is visibly removing garbage from the ship as a task, the end of their task results in a bunch of garbage being ejected from the ship and is, if the visual task settings are on (which they usually are), visible to all other players. Some impostor players try to fake these tasks to look like they are crewmates, but if someone catches them in the process, it makes them very suspicious. I really don't understand why they do that, and I avoid it as an impostor. I also often catch it as a crewmate. So, when we're in a meeting, and I'm a crewmate, I may say something like, "I have asteroids/med scan, come see me", both of which are visual tasks, and is a cue to other players that I am not an impostor. Once they see me carry out these tasks, I am deemed "safe", meaning I can't possibly be the impostor. Sometimes as an impostor, one of your fake tasks is visual, and you have to keep track of which ones are visual and which ones aren't. Just don't pretend to take out the garbage.

I play as a bunch of little characters but currently I'm a blue guy with wolf ears named Ikol. It'd be fun to know how many others on here also play this game ^^

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Re: Among Us

Post by Windstrider » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:57 am

I haven't played it yet but I've seen a lot about it online! It looks amusing and pretty fun.
"The strength and the fellowship of the clan will always be with you, even when you hunt alone." - Warriors

==================================================

Good vibes

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Among Us

Post by Sambhur » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:42 pm

I've played Among Us quite a few times with my friends but I'm just so bad at lying to people and I get so ridiculously anxious whenever I have to be an imposter, to the point where it's just not worth playing it ugh. Luckily my friend group got over it pretty quickly so I didn't have to feel left out for long lmao.