Death Stranding

Discuss other games. (Video games, tabletop games, etc.)

Moderator: Neamara

The Dancing Demon
Pup
Pup
Name: Rak

Death Stranding

Post by The Dancing Demon » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:02 pm

Death Stranding is an upcoming action game developed by Kojima Productions and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment for PlayStation 4. It is the first game created by director Hideo Kojima and his subsequent reformation for the game's studio, after the 2015 disbandment of the company as a subsidiary of Konami. It was announced at E3 2016 and has no set release date.

Norman Reedus, Mads Mikkelsen, Léa Seydoux, and Lindsay Wagner are set to star in the game, with motion capture, facial scannings and vocal performances. Film director Guillermo del Toro also contributed his likeness to another character through facial and body scanning. The game's title is a reference to the cetacean stranding phenomenon.

Gameplay

Death Stranding is an action game set in an open world environment, which also includes multiplayer functions. Kojima compared the genre to how his earlier game Metal Gear – now considered as a stealth game – was called an action game during its release because the stealth genre was not considered to exist at the time.

According to Kojima, one of the key aspects of the announcement trailer was the idea of a connection between life and death. He explained one of the main themes through a short story by Kōbō Abe; The first tool created by humans was a stick, meant as protection by putting a distance between oneself and "bad things", and that the second was a rope, used to secure things one finds important. Kojima compared the main "tools" in action games – punching, shooting and kicking – to sticks, and that in Death Stranding, he wants people to communicate through the game equivalent of ropes. While the title refers to the phenomenon of cetacean stranding, "strand" is an alternative meaning for shore, and also stands for strings and connections.

When the main character, named Sam, dies, the player is sent to another world, referred to as an upside-down world submerged in water. Kojima suggests that when the player returns to the world of the living, anything they did or any damage that an explosion or the likes causes when the player dies remains persistent in the world and does not go away. Another element talked about is the existence of a type of rain, called "Timefall", with the ability to age or deteriorate whatever it hits. Another gameplay element talked about is the player's ability to interact with the environment and wander outside of the character's body, as well as recovering items when they die.

I'm really excited for this game to come out. (Not just because of Norman Reedus) The date is TBA, and, unfortunately, the producers are Kojima Productions, and they've cancelled Silent Hill, so I don't have my hopes up. Anyway, I found my information on Wikipedia for this article, I've watched a bunch of the trailers, and I'm gonna put a link with a few of the trailers if you'd like to watch them. Please note, that no one really knows what the heck is going on in the trailers.

parental discretion is probably advised

YouTube

Uzumaaki
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Re: Death Stranding

Post by Uzumaaki » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:39 pm

teeeeechnically it wasn't kojima productions that cancelled silent hills, it was konami after their weird tiff with kojima/him leaving the company.

I don't really know what to feel about this game TBH!! I'm excited for the sole fact that it's a kojima game. I adore him so much and his games are an instant buy for me because I trust trust trust him, and the fact that so many other big personalities I enjoy(ahem del Toro) are working with him as well? Even better!!!

But the fact that this game was announced years ago and we still basically know nothing kinda rustles my jimmies lmao. It feels like every e3/big gaming convention we get another vague weird trailer that just gives more questions. Kojima is weird, that's kinda his brand, but...I just wish we had some kinda substantial information about the game, man.

Whatever, in due time I guess. I'm not expecting the game anytime soon but I'm also hella excited for it. I can't wait to see how it turns out as Kojima's first game with his own company
av by theinfinite