Dungeons and Dragons - Tabletop Roleplaying Game

Discuss other games. (Video games, tabletop games, etc.)

Moderator: Neamara

IceaPlayzPC
Name: Icea or Emile

Dungeons and Dragons - Tabletop Roleplaying Game

Post by IceaPlayzPC » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:38 pm

I checked to see if a thread like this existed and surprisingly it doesn't.... so now I shall make it exist.

Anyway, here is a thread dedicated to Dungeons and Dragons, a Roleplaying game with no screens... just papers, dice and figurines.
My explanation is horrible bit I'll try my best.

Dungeons and Dragons is a tabletop roleplay game where you can make a character from a variety of races, and after you create them and get the character all ready to go you can play the game. (Note the d&d info books will help a ton in making characters and selecting attacks and abilities for the class you've picked). The game is based on an RNG (random number generator) system, so you roll various dice to determine attack damage, how perceptive your character is in the moment, how stealthy they are currently, etc.
The six sided dice is not the only dice you use though, you will use dice that have sides ranging from 3 to even 20 sides (the dice you most use isn't the 20 sided one).

That's my best explanation, If any longtime players have a better explanation please share, I haven't been playing for too long and only know the general concept lol.

Anyway, what are your experiences with the game? Which character of yours is your favourite? Do you play often?
I'd answer my own questions here but I'll keep the opening posts short as my experiences require a lot of detail to make sense.
|•——————)(——————•|
This is where the story ends,
Are we just beginning?
|•——————)(——————•|
(`°.(°._+_.°).°`)
My fate it rains, it rains like cinders
(`°•.(`°•.••••The cadent drums, the war it comes ••••.•°`).•°`)
Growing thunder, terror, wonder
(`°.(°._+_.°).°`)
Av-CatLover on Discord + Bottom Sig-Black Burn, Top Sig - Icea

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Dungeons and Dragons - Tabletop Roleplaying Game

Post by Sambhur » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:42 pm

Hey a DnD thread! I'm a bit surprised there wasn't one already.

My friends and I play DnD almost weekly, but because some of us live in different cities, we play through Discord and the site Roll20. We had a worldbuilding session to come up with the rules for our universe and we ended up with something horribly silly. Like how there are no fish and only kelp in our oceans... and the wheel hasn't been invented yet. Oh and the planet is flat, and there are two suns, but somehow it's dark the majority of the time. Also all our currency is named after cryptocurrency lol. I play an Aarakocran rogue whose design I modelled after a lilac breasted roller. I'd post his reference here but it's ridiculously rushed. He's very smart but he's always too tired to do anything.

Even though we can't all be in the same room together, we have heaps of fun and have created a lot of good memories. :)

IceaPlayzPC
Name: Icea or Emile

Post by IceaPlayzPC » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:13 pm

Haha nice! I also find it strange that out of all the years DnD has been out (since the 70's!) and how long this forum has been up nobody has made a thread about it... only mentions.

Welp, here are my experiences as promised!

I don't start playing again until school starts (will be playing Pathfinder at school.. similar to dnd) but an actual dnd game will start after school starts for me so i don't have any attendance conflicts (my mom would definitely let me go every sunday haha), but when i played back in march i attended weekly at a toy store in the upstairs portion which is dedicated to tabletop rpgs (quite interesting because i'd often see a guy i know there... he opened a very popular gaming thrift shop although he doesn't own it anymore), and i saw someone from school there on my last game there and he ended up joining my school pathfinder group haha.

Anyway, i play a Tabaxi Sorcerer named Silver Cliff, Silver for short. Here's a reference sheet i made him last night, i'm not good at anthro animals but it turned out well enough for me to share. I absolutely love him and i based him off of my favourite big cats, Snow Leopards (i later found out that Tabaxis are supposed to be Jungle Cats and Snow Leopards dont live in jungles.... oops? Hey DnD is an rp game i can just say that the Snow Leopard look is a mutation or something or a rare trait). As shown on the reference he has a giant scar.... that was actually caused in-game too :D
Basically on my last game we were in the middle of the first instance of Rise of Tiamat (we played 5th edition) and RNG decided to not be nice and completely flip us over, everyone died. Although... this sprouted good things because we were going to finish the first bit of Rise of Tiamat and then do the Underdark, but this hilarious team wipe (and me i guess crying when Silver Died..... lik if u cri evertiem) gave our characters suddenly appearing in the underdark some backstory... cultists captured us, revived us for whatever reason and threw us in a prison... Silver practically died of the slash and stab wound he got but since he was revived he now has an awesome scar.... (Which all scars shown were caused by some guy's spear... based on how one spear attack during the "cliff fight" was very brutal... sorcerers are squishy man) with the exception of being half blind now (at least he gets a realistic boost to his hearing and scent i guess so he doesn't actually change much statistically).... actually during this RNG flip-over the DM let i think my brother reroll once because it was just ridiculous... interesting enough the same DM had this happen with another group where RNG wasn't nice and wiped a whole party, but these players were more experienced so they didn't get a random revival lol.

Another funny and ironic thing about my character... he's a snow leopard but he uses fire magic.... in our first adventure he burnt an entire swarm of rats to a crisp (and hilariously enough one of the team members... which was played by 2 people and became an NPC later on took one of the rats and ate it as a snack LOL. i love this game) and he also roasted lots of enemies... mostly with his firebolt attack since sorcerers have limited uses of their spells or something.

I'm really excited to play again and i'm so excited to do the underdark... it will be a great experience to developing Silver more especially after a traumatic experience such as getting his eye slashed out with a scar haha... and it would be interesting to see how the other characters react too (Plus my brother has a half-elf that has royal blood but his character's parents were killed so his character ran into the woods and its great because his character speaks in flawed english but it gets better over time... he has a half-elf ranger and we also have two Dragonborn (??? i think thats what they were called?? i remember making some skyrim comment on it lol) as well)

Anyway, once i start playing again i'll be sure to share future experiences... whats nice is that my brother plans on making a comic based on our dnd adventures while i think of making a novel... so i've written down every session i've been in so far and what happened that day.

And that does it.... see why i wanted to make a separate reply? the first post would be really long and i was afraid nobody would read the whole thing before posting haha.
|•——————)(——————•|
This is where the story ends,
Are we just beginning?
|•——————)(——————•|
(`°.(°._+_.°).°`)
My fate it rains, it rains like cinders
(`°•.(`°•.••••The cadent drums, the war it comes ••••.•°`).•°`)
Growing thunder, terror, wonder
(`°.(°._+_.°).°`)
Av-CatLover on Discord + Bottom Sig-Black Burn, Top Sig - Icea

The Dancing Demon
Pup
Pup
Name: Rak

Post by The Dancing Demon » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:14 pm

I've heard of this game but I've never played it. I remember when I first heard of it kids in my 5th grade class were like, "Only College kids play that." So I never touched it lol.

Midnight Snow
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Midnight Snow » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:07 am

WisheyWalshy wrote:I've heard of this game but I've never played it. I remember when I first heard of it kids in my 5th grade class were like, "Only College kids play that." So I never touched it lol.
It's definitely a game that takes a little bit of maturity to keep going and make the most of, but it's also a very flexible system that can be adapted and used pretty much as you like. It's heaps of fun with some good friends, but takes a little while to get into. I started playing by an old 1st ed. book a good few years ago, and then progressed to 3.5e, 4e and now 5e.

Been playing this a little on and off, but got a new group going for 5e recently. During character creation, the main request from the first-time DM was ‘No bards please, I have no idea how they work’, so obviously my character ended up being one. It was the dice, I swear.

My bard has now wound up a super-charismatic halfling who can persuade, convince, deceive and manipulate just about anyone, but his low damage and numerous failed rolls in fights have left his usefulness in battles a running joke. I think my favourite character in the party is our rogue, though. His player is very good at just naturally sliding into the greedy, deceptive con-man role, swashbuckling his way around pretending to be a lord, pocketing loot before anyone notices, and so on. It's all very good fun.
     You're not paranoid. You know you aren't. At least you weren't, until they started coming after you.

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Tue May 05, 2020 10:30 pm

It definitely sounds cool, and I've heard a funny story that happened:
So, this guy wants to leap over a crowd. He rolls the dice, and he rolls nine, so he leaps over the crowd and makes such an amazing scene! Then he rolls again on how gracefully he's gonna land. He rolls a two. So the narrator says that he jumped so hard that he not only jumped over the entire crowd but he also crashed face-first into the wall. XD