Another wolf computer game.

Discuss other games. (Video games, tabletop games, etc.)

Moderator: Neamara

Kira_Wolf123
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: Another wolf computer game.

Post by Kira_Wolf123 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:04 pm

I need one game like WolfQuest.

Silver Mist Wolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Silver Mist Wolf » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:33 pm

Opheya wrote:I wish I could find this game enjoyable. It gets boring after ten minutes.
I had the same issue when I tried it some years ago. It was fairly confusing for me as well, as I didn't have a guide or anything to help. Basically went in blind.

It was a little more interesting after I gave it another shot and kind of figured out how to survive. Never did manage to have pups though.

avatar/signature © Jeames/twinlinskis

FuzzyDesertPaw

Post by FuzzyDesertPaw » Tue May 03, 2016 11:15 am

Maybe the game is old,but it's realistic and interesting. I love to play WOLF! :)

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue May 03, 2016 2:11 pm

FuzzyDesertPaw wrote:Maybe the game is old,but it's realistic and interesting. I love to play WOLF! :)
Know that the game is not realistic in its entirety. The main gripe I have with the game is the consistent use of outdated terms (e.g. alpha, beta, and omega) and the prevalence of hierarchy in gameplay. Otherwise, it is a decent game and may provide some insight into a wolf's life.

RoarOriole

Post by RoarOriole » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:29 am

Actually I'm pretty sure there are non-aggressive human sprites in WOLF, but they're uncommon and usually have a rifle armed human somewhere nearby. I'm pretty sure there's a scenario/mission/non-sandbox oriented challenge that involves wolf pups being taken by campers and you have to find them, but I've never beaten that challenge.

The overzealous aggression most humans have against the wolves in WOLF makes me think of how it must have been when they were practically eliminated from the Yellowstone area/lower 48 states back in the...1920s, was it? Outdated terms and behaviors are annoying but kind of interesting. Raises up the pressure, too, since WolfQuest is limited in its desire to portray wolves neutrally/positively and are set in a protected national park.

Not surprised there are limits in gameplay as a whole, however. WQ and WOLF are from completely different moral areas in terms of studying animals, and one is 2D while the other is 3D, so it's not surprising the limits one has over the other.
I like discussing deep things, playing video games, and mentally torturing myself by studying C# even though I'm not a math person.

RoarOriole

Post by RoarOriole » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:27 am

Aayyy Nordue how you bean.

Just opened the game and yeah there are some camper/non hostile humans, but it's hard to say because I got shot by a hunter in a jacket not long after seeing them.

I think I might've confused mission parameters with one from LION, though. There is some missing cub missions, but WOLF doesn't give a mission statement to the scenario, so people snagging up a cub might've been from LION instead.
I like discussing deep things, playing video games, and mentally torturing myself by studying C# even though I'm not a math person.

Obedear
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Obedear » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:53 pm

Ever-green wrote:
  • I haven't played LION, I assume it's WOLF but lions and made after WOLF?
You are absolutely correct. Personally I think LION's gameplay is superior to WOLF's, but they are both quite challenging. I can never play either game for very long because of how... Slow-paced it is. I also can never find my den in WOLF once I leave it. xD
Let me explain
This ugliness, this cruelty, this repulsiveness
It will all die out
And now, I cry for all that is beautiful

Kouga
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Kouga » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:01 am

Kosmiese wrote:
Ever-green wrote:
  • I haven't played LION, I assume it's WOLF but lions and made after WOLF?
You are absolutely correct. Personally I think LION's gameplay is superior to WOLF's, but they are both quite challenging. I can never play either game for very long because of how... Slow-paced it is. I also can never find my den in WOLF once I leave it. xD
I wouldn't say superior, but different. :3
The power of the pack

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Name: Frodo/Jay

Post by Frodo1 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:19 pm

Whew-- it's been a while since I've been back here o.o

This is a random question-- is there any way to change how long months last? Yes, the current length is realistic, but it takes stinking forever, and I'm currently trying to let's play the series, and idk people might be getting bored of me just running around and hunting and stuff. Other than just auto-playing it for an extended period of time, is there any way I could change the month length? I put up ep. 11 yesterday, and we're still in the same month as when we started... o.o
JayPlays on YouTube
Nature and wildlife gaming videos the whole family can enjoy!
Join the adventure here
Av/Sig © me

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:35 pm

Frodo1 wrote:Whew-- it's been a while since I've been back here o.o

This is a random question-- is there any way to change how long months last? Yes, the current length is realistic, but it takes stinking forever, and I'm currently trying to let's play the series, and idk people might be getting bored of me just running around and hunting and stuff. Other than just auto-playing it for an extended period of time, is there any way I could change the month length? I put up ep. 11 yesterday, and we're still in the same month as when we started... o.o
Nope, there's no way to change the month length.

For my "Let's Play' series on wolf, I just did a walkthrough on the missions...that seemed easier than the sandbox mode.

Speaking of which, you're making me want to play WOLF again!
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Name: Frodo/Jay

Post by Frodo1 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:14 pm

SolitaryHowl wrote:
Frodo1 wrote:Whew-- it's been a while since I've been back here o.o

Nope, there's no way to change the month length.

For my "Let's Play' series on wolf, I just did a walkthrough on the missions...that seemed easier than the sandbox mode.

Speaking of which, you're making me want to play WOLF again!
Aw, too bad-- I may just have to auto-play for a while off-camera then XD

I think I actually ran across your let's play while trying to figure out how to become the alpha, haha!

You should-- I'd forgotten how fun it is, heh!
JayPlays on YouTube
Nature and wildlife gaming videos the whole family can enjoy!
Join the adventure here
Av/Sig © me

Sunset-Light
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Sunset-Light » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:20 pm

(Sorry if this has already been answered, but.. I'm too lazy to run through 217 pages of comments. XD)

I've had thoughts on maybe trying out Wolf, but I gotta know: does installing the DosBox emulator and the game give your computer any viruses? And on a scale of 1 to 10, how hard is it to set up?

Rustic
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Rustic » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:18 pm

Nope dosbox does not give you any viruses. If you subscribe to the forums here....this website has a preconfigured version so all you would have to do is download and run the game:
http://wolf-forum.forumh.net/t574-game-wolf-versions
That would be the EASIEST....though if you don't want to join there...they also have instructions on one of the other threads somewhere for how to set the game up using dosbox.
Hope that helps.

EDIT:
Logged myself in so here's the direct link for that download I mentioned above:
http://adf.ly/246619/http://www.mediafi ... 9g0i5aeif8
the site says after downloading to:
- Extract to c:\ and double click the link file 'WOLF' or create your own link file to DosBox.exe.
Alternatively, run DosBox.exe directly.

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:30 pm

I put some effort into putting together a comprehensive guide to running the game in the first post, which should provide all the information and links you need. As Rustic said, DOSBox should not give you any viruses.

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:03 pm

I finally went and got the game set up earlier this year and it's pretty neat.
"The strength and the fellowship of the clan will always be with you, even when you hunt alone." - Warriors

==================================================

Good vibes