Another wolf computer game.

Discuss other games. (Video games, tabletop games, etc.)

Moderator: Neamara

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Another wolf computer game.

Post by Koa » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:30 pm

I tried to get WOLF running on my old desktop again (just utilizing the files that have been there since I downloaded the game) but to no avail. I'll have to look into redownloading the game once I get my laptop fixed.

Ecliptic
Pup
Pup

Post by Ecliptic » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:20 am

Either WOLF or the similar LION gave me a virus a long time ago, when I found out about it. It probably wasn't from the right place. Maybe I'll try to get it again sometime, though.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:36 am

FYI, the oldgames.sk download seems somewhat broken, incomplete, and buggy. Wolf pictures are marred by a pink box, and what was once informative text during loading screens is gibberish.

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:45 pm

Koa wrote:FYI, the oldgames.sk download seems somewhat broken, incomplete, and buggy. Wolf pictures are marred by a pink box, and what was once informative text during loading screens is gibberish.
Huh. Good to know. I'll add a note to the first post.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:41 pm

Anduril wrote:
Koa wrote:FYI, the oldgames.sk download seems somewhat broken, incomplete, and buggy. Wolf pictures are marred by a pink box, and what was once informative text during loading screens is gibberish.
Thanks. I don't remember the version I originally downloaded for my desktop, but that version was definitely complete and free of glitches.

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:15 pm

Koa wrote:
Anduril wrote:
Thanks. I don't remember the version I originally downloaded for my desktop, but that version was definitely complete and free of glitches.
The originally provided one and the one I've always used without trouble is the one from Abandonia. You have to download the DOSBox client separately and get it running through there, but it's honestly not much of a hassle.

I never tried the pre-packaged client. It sounded promising; it's a shame the file integrity is lacking.

SkollWolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Skoll

Post by SkollWolf » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:51 pm

Oof, I wish I had seen this thread when I first played WOLF! I had so much trouble with the controls and installing the game. This made me want to play it again...
"The soul that
sees beauty
m
ay sometimes
w
alk alone."

Playing WolfQuest since 2008.

TheOnlyTherian
Pup
Pup
Name: Rimah

Post by TheOnlyTherian » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:00 am

Does anyone play this game still?
I'm quite new to the game but I have problems with it and I'm not sure if I will have to reinstall the game. The problem is, whenever I press "H" to hear, it flickers for half a second or so and does not stay on the screen for me to see where the sound is coming from. Also, sometimes the game controls it's self and it's just weird overall!
*~Wolf-Dog Therian~*
*~Myers Weapon~*
*~*
Playing WolfQuest since 2010 or 2011

ForeverEverest
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Everest/Evie

Post by ForeverEverest » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:46 am

This game sounds pretty interesting, I might have to give it a go someday.
I'm a little curious about something though. I have a few old PC games (CD-ROMs) that don't work on newer PCs, but my old computer can still run a few. Does anyone know if DOSBox would possibly allow me to run some of them on my laptop?
╔════--══--══--════╗
The howling cold wind,
the soft summer breeze.
They remind me a little,
of chalk and cheese.

╚════--══--══--════╝
Amazing avatar by: LupinzPack

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:44 am

ForeverEverest wrote:This game sounds pretty interesting, I might have to give it a go someday.
I'm a little curious about something though. I have a few old PC games (CD-ROMs) that don't work on newer PCs, but my old computer can still run a few. Does anyone know if DOSBox would possibly allow me to run some of them on my laptop?
Not likely. I'm going to assume those older CD-ROM games were developed for Windows. You'll have to see if they're MS-DOS compatible. I'm going to guess they're made for 16 bit Windows, though, which are a nightmare to get to work on newer computers.

ForeverEverest
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Everest/Evie

Post by ForeverEverest » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:01 am

I just looked up one of the games I was to play most (which doesn't work on either my laptop or old computer, only the old Windows Vista laptop that takes like 10 minutes to start up) on Wikipedia, and it says it was made for MS-DOS. I'm guessing I should download DOSBox and give it a go, and I'll be sure to let you know if it works.

Edit: It's working! My brother used to love that game, so I'm sure he'll be really happy to play it again. I appreciate the help!
╔════--══--══--════╗
The howling cold wind,
the soft summer breeze.
They remind me a little,
of chalk and cheese.

╚════--══--══--════╝
Amazing avatar by: LupinzPack

noir_187
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Alex

Post by noir_187 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:38 pm

Wolf is a great game. For an MS-DOS game, the graphics are actually quite beautiful and the music is great. I'm still figuring everything out, but I have fun whenever I start it up. Scenarios in particular are fun, but man are they challenging. I remember playing the one where you play an injured wolf that has to find water. The only source of water is extremely far away, by the time you reach it you're seconds away from running out of time so you really need to be fast. And because you're injured, your movement speed is much slower... i died countless of times on that one lol

I don't mind a challenge though. What I do mind is those hunters and planes, they're a real pain

TheOnlyTherian wrote:Does anyone play this game still?
I'm quite new to the game but I have problems with it and I'm not sure if I will have to reinstall the game. The problem is, whenever I press "H" to hear, it flickers for half a second or so and does not stay on the screen for me to see where the sound is coming from. Also, sometimes the game controls it's self and it's just weird overall!
I had a similar issue with hearing until i configured my audio setting correctly. When you open dosbox and go wolf, instead of typing "wolf" or "wolf.exe" type "setup" or "setup.exe" to configure your sound. Set your sound effects to "sound source" and music to "sound blaster."

as for the game controlling itself, if you press A, that enables autoplay so the game will play itself. Pressing A again after pressing autoplay will put you back in control.
formerly PureBloodVampire
icon by LupinzPack