Fallout Series

Discuss other games. (Video games, tabletop games, etc.)

Moderator: Neamara

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Fallout Series

Post by paperpaws » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:04 am

I'm surprised to find there is no topic for these yet. To celebrate today's launch of Fallout 4, I figured I'd create one so you guys all can hype about it to your hearts content discuss any of the games from the series, similarly to the Elder Scrolls topic.

For those who don't know, allow me to copy paste some information-
  • "Fallout is a series of post-apocalyptic computer role-playing games originally produced and published by Interplay. Although set in and after the 22nd century, its story and artwork are heavily influenced by the post-World War II nuclear paranoia of the 1950s.

[...]

The background story of Fallout involves a "what-if" scenario in which the United States tries to devise fusion power resulting in the whole country becoming hegemonic and having less reliance on petroleum. However, this is not achieved until 2077, shortly after an oil drilling conflict off the Pacific Coast pits the United States against China. It ends with a nuclear exchange resulting in the post-apocalyptic world in which the game takes place.

Current games in the series:
  • Fallout (DOS, WIndows, Macintosh)
    Fallout 2 (Windows, Mac)
    Fallout 3 (Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360)
    Fallout: New Vegas (Windows, Playstation 3, Xbox 360)
    Fallout 4 (Windows, Playstation 4, Xbox One)

There's also a few spin-off games out there, including Fallout Shelter (a free phone app in which you manage a vault).

I personally just got Fallout 4 in the post as a surprise from my best friend (he must be crazy, hah)... I don't know if my computer can run it, but I hope to find out soon enough. I've never actually played any of the other games myself, so I'm looking forward to it!

Chumpkins_
Name:

Re: Fallout Series

Post by Chumpkins_ » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:50 am

Yes, this topic was needed.

I played 3 and New Vegas, and loved them. I hope to get Fallout 4 today.
_-:¡!*"*!¡:-_
_-:¡!*"Warden"*!¡:-_
. . . . . . . . . . . . .
In war, victory
In peace, vigilance
In death, sacrifice

av/sig: alethe

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:00 am

So despite Fallout 4 still being laggy on my computer even at the lowest settings, I've been really enjoying it so far and I'm pretty impressed with everything. I also love that they added a classical radio, hah.

For those of you playing on PC with an Nvidia graphics card as well, don't forget to update your drivers through GeForce Experience... Definitely did smooth over performance for me, even if just a little.

Have you been enjoying it so far, Chump? :D

Chumpkins_
Name:

Post by Chumpkins_ » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:09 am

I have. It wasn't that laggy on my ps4 and no bugs so far wow. I only got only about three hours to play though, I hope to get more today and during the weekend.
Also gotta love the return of dog meat.
In war, victory
In peace, vigilance
In death, sacrifice

Quivira
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Quivira » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:34 pm

OHMANOHMANOHMAN

Ya'll know the Fallout series is legit my favorite series ever. I could literally fangirl about it all day. I screamed so bad when Fallout 4 was released on that teaser site. I literally stayed up til the next day just to wait and see what the counter was counting down to and, lo and behold, FO4 was announced and I was just in shock. So many hoax teaser sites. So many years.

But seriously, definitely my favorite series. I need to put more time into the first two as will as Tactics, but first, must finish Fallout 4. Fallout 3 was definitely my favorite so far, but New Vegas was nearly just as good in my opinion. I just like a more emotional story line and 3 SURE had that.

Now I'm off to play for of 4. REALLY liking it so far, and yes, Dogmeat looks amazing in this game! I love the effort they put into him and how the anatomy is so spot on. More realistic than a real dog, HEHE.

Snakes

knives
-- Butch  Deloria

avatar/sig © Lupinzpack/twinlinskis

Chumpkins_
Name:

Post by Chumpkins_ » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:10 pm

Dogmeat is great. Sadly some idiot spoiled parts of the story for me but only a bit of it.
I don't know if ill be able to play for the next few days since guests and schoolwork but hopefully soon.

I've only played Fallout 3 and New Vegas (and 4 now). I have to say Vegas was my favorte so far and I liked 3 almost as much. Hopefully we'll get a sequel to 4 in two years.
In war, victory
In peace, vigilance
In death, sacrifice

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:54 pm

Hah, love seeing your enthusiasm, Qui! I'm afraid my initial reaction to the announcements was just a "this will put an end to all the Fallout 4 confirmed" jokes, hehehe.

Dogmeat is adorable! My friend also pointed out (with a lot of excited caps) that if you crouch and look at him he comes running at you. Hehehe. And yeah, he looks fantastic. Cutest face.

Man, I'm absolutely loving the settlement feature. No doubt I'm going to waste a lot more time with that in the future... Decorating the wasteland, one painting of kittens at the time.

And, I feel you Chump.. have to hope deadlines and other coursework will still allow for a bit of F4 inbetween.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:27 am

I cannot/will not be able to ever play Fallout 4 because, as Red knows, it scares me and I cannot imagine having to play with the pressure of knowing the gory implications of certain actions.

I have, however, been enjoying (while occasionally looking away from the screen) watching my friends play. One of them last night was playing and was trying to kill Z2-47 at a pretty low level and with Dogmeat as a follower with no stinpacks left (after accidentally giving one to the dog and then using the last one on a wave of people before the final fight.) After many, many, painful tries, it wasn't working out. And yes, many jokes about Dogmeat were had.

He ended up fast traveling/buying more supplies and picking up Valetine as a follower. It eventually worked out in the end.

I think its really cool (although frustrating) of how, at least to me, the loot is pretty restrictive and doesn't just spit out stinpacks left and right; he literally could not find any until the second to last floor or so, and there was one in the fight but it was risky because the boss guy kept going over there. Also, there was a Fat Boy near the final fight too but there was no ammo around for it during the multiple attempts that were made. It seems like every bullet or "helpful" item matters, which makes for an interesting and challenging game.

Honestly, I wish I wasn't so squeamish. Otherwise, I'd pick up this game in a heartbeat. It really is something.

Chumpkins_
Name:

Post by Chumpkins_ » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:31 am

I haven't had time to get into the settlement feature. Mr. Codsworth is also great, and u love how he says your name.
Hopefully I'll have a lot of time to play this weekend.
In war, victory
In peace, vigilance
In death, sacrifice

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:38 pm

I haven't gotten this game yet, only because I know it will distract me so much it would (negatively) affect my studies.
This month is crazy, I have so much stuff going on, so many papers due...its actually driving me crazy!

So as a self-incentive, if I somehow survive this unbelievably stressful month, Fallout 4 going to be my reward.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Chumpkins_
Name:

Post by Chumpkins_ » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:36 pm

I'm really enjoying the returning songs from Fallout 3
In war, victory
In peace, vigilance
In death, sacrifice

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:47 am

So I broke my promise and didn't wait until the end of the month to buy FO4. I bought it on Saturday after my crazy week. I've only played it for a few hours, but its great! Too bad my computer can only handle it on low, but its better than nothing!

I'm not sure how I feel about the
Show
base system
, but I like the
Show
weapon/armour upgrades

And, is it just me, or does FO4 map look much smaller than the FO3 map?
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Chumpkins_
Name:

Post by Chumpkins_ » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:07 am

I haven't used the base system yet, too bust with Brotherhood of Steel quest line.
I'm really loving the game so far and I'm hoping to get some good dlc next year.
In war, victory
In peace, vigilance
In death, sacrifice

Quivira
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Quivira » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:07 am

YES to the returning songs from Fallout 3! When "Civilization" started playing, I started cheering. Also really like a lot of the new songs! Especially "Uranium Fever" and "Atom Bomb Baby," haha!

And man, the base system has me addicted. It's the reason I haven't done much with quests besides Preston's. Idk, I just really like stuff like that. My OCD shows really bad in games, I literally have to take and check EVERYTHING, junk and all, and now I have a reason to do just that! I can't build houses for crud though, so I just use one of the very few prefabs, LOL.

Anyways, no work for the next few days so hopefully I'll be able to play more than I have been!
Show
Really liking the synth designs, creepy!

Snakes

knives
-- Butch  Deloria

avatar/sig © Lupinzpack/twinlinskis

Chumpkins_
Name:

Post by Chumpkins_ » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:19 am

Yes I love civilization. And atom bomb baby and uranium fever are my favorites.
Show
Synths are creepy indeed. The whole Institute is creepy.
In war, victory
In peace, vigilance
In death, sacrifice