Shelter series

Discuss other games. (Video games, tabletop games, etc.)

Moderator: Neamara

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Shelter series

Post by SolitaryHowl » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:18 pm

Another beautiful play-as-an-animal game. It's called 'Shelter'. It is for both Mac and Windows.

(Official website, where you can buy the game, here: http://www.shelterthegame.com/)

This time, you play as a mother badger. The rules are simple: survive. More specifically, ensure your pups survive.

First episode of my Let's Play here:

(you can access the next 4 episodes by browsing through my channel)
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Tubi
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: Shelter

Post by Tubi » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:33 pm

Sounds interesting. Badgers arent my favourite animals but i like them too. I think ill download this game :wink:

Floofysaur
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Fwoof

Post by Floofysaur » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:32 am

I might too look into this game and soon download it. Badgers are cute :3
Roses are gray,
Violets are blue,
I am a dog

Borne
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Borne » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:58 pm

I believe I've heard of Shelter. I will make sure to watch you Let's Play video.
- Borne

"But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding go out to meet it."
- Thucydides

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:31 am

• Shelter 2 is coming out soon on Steam. It has lynx instead of badgers. I Love the visuals, although up close they don't look as good to me. And I am not a fan of the water texture!

Anyway, just heard of this game yesterday when my boyfriend showed me. It reminds me of WQ of course, but I still want to give it a go!

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:02 pm

I would love to try this out! It looks so adorable, only problem is, all I have is ten dollars! Nuuuu....still gonna wait till I has the monies though :3

ArisenFlames
Name: Ari, Flames, Flame

Post by ArisenFlames » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:03 pm

I just saw Shelter 2 come out on 10% discount on Steam, do you guys think it's worth buying? $13.50 at the moment. It definitely reminded me of WQ which is why i'm back on the forums for a bit.

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:20 pm

• Your name surprised me! Do you remember me? As Overcast maybe.

It might be... you could wait for another deal later on if you're not convinced. I always like to read the online reviews as well.

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:33 pm

Shelter 2 was 10% off as pre-purchase discount, I believe. Knowing Steam, it'll be on sale sooner or later for a lot more off than that, so I'm personally waiting for that to happen. Fully intend to buy it when it does, the playthroughs of Shelter 1 I've watched looked interesting enough and the fact that the second game has lynx is reason enough for me to actually play that one myself. :D

edit: Just took a look at the Steam reviews, and the game sounds like WolfQuest's Slough Creek episode but with lynx. I'm glad I decided to put off buying it for now, the reviews make it sound like the game is sorta lacking in terms of gameplay and realism. Still would love to give it a shot when it's a bit cheaper, I feel like this could make for a nice experience even if it's not a repetition worthy game.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:50 pm

I think Shelter 2 is much more enjoyable than Shelter. Not only is the hunting fantastic, but I love the fact you can free roam. The map sizes are decent as well. There is a family tree system too, so when you beat the game...you have the option to start a new family or play as one of your surviving cubs. Its a really great game!

Both have the same unique art style, which reminds me of Okami. Its very stylized and I love it.

I got Shelter 2 during the summer Steam sale for like $11 I think. Its worth it, IMO

Jeames
Name: Jeames, Jea

Post by Jeames » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:24 am

I heard about this game before and I've seen screenshots on the internet; it looks really beautiful. The art style sort of reminds me of Okami and the gameplay reminds me of WolfQuest (like it does to most of us it seems).
I can't buy it though because I have no money (I do have money but I need to support my parents for the time being), so both Shelter and Shelter 2 are a no for me for now.
DeviantArt Artstation Instagram Weasyl Newgrounds
Discord (Jeames#7775)

av ↝ noir_187

WQlf
Pup
Pup

Post by WQlf » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:59 pm

I love this game! I've played it before, and it's simply amazing! The art style is gorgeous, the music is excellent, and the pups/cubs/whatever you call badger babies are adorable. You can easily grow to adore your cubs in this game so I don't suggest playing if you don't want to feel sad. The art style is very unique, and because the game doesn't depend on/need amazing graphics to look nice, older computers may be able to run it as well.

Shelter 1 is not an open world game, you go through different levels that are very unique in both looks and dangers. Each level has very different dangers than the next, and as you do not know what to expect going through them can make you a bit nervous.

There is a variety of preys to hunt, but as it's difficult to catch them I usually try to eat fruits and vegetables instead. Some food is growing in the ground, but others are high on top of trees.

Apart from the main story mode, you can also play another mode called Nurture, where you feed new born badgers once a day until they grow as old as the baby badgers in story mode. New borns in Nurture start in the den without the ability to walk, but as the days go on the babies grow and learn to walk and do other badger things. Just know that in Nurture you must feed the babies every day, else they'll die. There is no pause option for the time passing in Nurture.

Shelter 2 is very different from the first game. Instead of playing as a Badger, you play as a mighty predator Lynx! In this game you go on your own path, as it is an open world game. You do not need to play the first game in order to get the story in the second, because the sequel's story does not rely at all on the firsts. The two could actually could qualify as unrelated if it wasn't for the same (though very slightly altered) art style and name.

You have a lot more freedom in Shelter 2. The goal of it is the same as the first, raise and protect your cubs from danger. However, the fact that it's an open world brings in a lot of other things to do. It gives you the ability to explore! Exploring and sight seeing is a big part of Shelter 2. There are many interesting easter eggs that you can discover, and with them can earn a whole lot of achievements.

Finding food for your cubs in the sequel is a lot harder, being a predator and all. The most common prey are hares. Other prey includes: frogs, birds, lemmings, and deer. You can also find a nest of eggs that can be found on the ground, in the trees, or on top of a ledge.

Despite the seemingly calm atmosphere, that atmosphere can quickly become very eerie. If the sky goes dark and starless, be careful where you step, else something may be out to get you and your cubs! Some areas in the game have very odd, creepy music as well. The reason for certain places in the game having this music and/or other creepy aspects is left unknown for the player to speculate. Also, aside from natural predators, there is other dangers in the game that are left unexplained as well. There is a sort of presence within two of the maps that can kill your cubs, and no one knows exactly what it is. Some say it's a flood, avalanche, smoke, fire, human presence, or even one of the other predators in the game. No one knows for sure, though.

For some people, Shelter 2 can be a bit easy for them after they'd played it a couple of times. A simple fix would be to simply go to Settings > Gameplay in the main menu, and then clicking on Survival mode.

Survival mode adds:
1. There is less prey and they are harder to catch.
2. Animals will migrate depending on the season
3. Animals will migrate away from the player
4. Your stamina will regenerate slower
5. Using scent view costs stamina
6. Sneaking is no longer automatic
7. Cubs cannot jump onto cliffs themselves

So yeah, it sounds really difficult so I haven't tried it yet in fear of losing my family tree.

Family trees are a new addition to Shelter 2. The first Lynx you play as in the game is Inna. You can rename her cubs (another new feature, the badgers in the first game, including the mother had no name) however you want but a name can have no longer than six letters. In order to rename them you must be in the den with your cubs. You should see name tags above them while in the den. To change the name of her offspring click on a cub's name. Each cub has a different color and marking. When you finish the game and if all your cubs survive, click on family tree in the menu. There you can replay the game using one of the surviving cubs. You can not change a cubs name after that point in the game where you are in the den, and a mother lynx's name cannot be changed at all. Each generation of cubs has different markings and color shades up to generation five. From then on the looks are the same.

You may have noticed a 'change default skin for Inna' option in the settings menu. Skin's for Inna are very difficult to get. A skin for Inna was available as a pre-order prize. I hear that you might also get one if you find all the collectables in the maps. A DLC for Shelter 2 is coming out that includes a new map, and it's confirmed that if you find all the collectables in the DLC map that you will earn an Inna skin.

The new Shelter 2 DLC will include a new map called mountains, way more creatures such as bears and foxes, and more! It's release date is at August the 25th.

I believe that I prefer the second game over the first, since there is way more replay ability and more freedom. However, some say that Shelter 2 can be more repetitive and that Shelter 1 is more enjoy able because of the large amount of dangers and more interesting levels and such. However, whether you prefer Shelter 1 or it's sequel really depends.

I'd say Shelter is like a mix between WolfQuest, Okami, and Journey.

RabidLynx

Post by RabidLynx » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:58 am

lynxlynxlynxlynxlynx
shelter 2 is life

I'm sad because during my first play through I couldn't get food to one of my cubs fast enough (because he was glitching out) and he died. And what sucks is that this game knows you probably want to reload a last save so you can save your cubs, but it has a cheat-prevention system: you have no control of your saves, and when one of your cubs dies the game automatically saves. So, when your cubs die, there's no going back. Keep that in mind!

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:23 pm

RabidLynx wrote:lynxlynxlynxlynxlynx
shelter 2 is life

I'm sad because during my first play through I couldn't get food to one of my cubs fast enough (because he was glitching out) and he died. And what slurps is that this game knows you probably want to reload a last save so you can save your cubs, but it has a cheat-prevention system: you have no control of your saves, and when one of your cubs dies the game automatically saves. So, when your cubs die, there's no going back. Keep that in mind!
That's what I like about it - much more realistic. After all, in real-life there is no 'save' feature. You can't go back if you make a mistake.

I love the auto-save feature...it raises the stakes that way!

Kristofferson
Pup
Pup

Post by Kristofferson » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:23 am

• I haven't really gotten into the first Shelter but I really like the second Shelter. I've heard they're making DLC for Shelter 2.

¤

"МλЛУ ŁЄλVЄς, ΘЛЄ ŤЯЄЄ
WЄЯЄ λŁŁ ΐЛĐΐVΐĐϋλŁς, βϋŤ WЄЯЄ ςŤΐŁŁ CΘЛЛЄCŤЄĐ."

¤
{ Signature by Emberflare } ~ { Icon by myself }