Shelter series

Discuss other games. (Video games, tabletop games, etc.)

Moderator: Neamara

Flyinghearts
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: Shelter/Shelter 2

Post by Flyinghearts » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:15 am

Ah, this game. One of my absolute favorites. If anyone wanted my opinions on this game, Here you go:

Not only the art style is unique, but the controls are simple. Yet the way you play it, and HOW you play it always depends on what you want to do with your cubs. Want to stay in a area? Fine, but there's going to be a lot of disaster here. Want to move to the wide-open fields? Go ahead, but there's wolves that could come around any second. Every area has its' disasters you must overcome. And it gives great 'teachings' on what to do if X disaster comes around. It is just a brilliant game. Sure it has its' bugs in the Mountain DLC, but its' new and as well they update it every few weeks.
Also known as T-Rex Terror on steam, and on dA HerothTheDragon.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:32 am

Flyinghearts wrote:Ah, this game. One of my absolute favorites. If anyone wanted my opinions on this game, Here you go:

Not only the art style is unique, but the controls are simple. Yet the way you play it, and HOW you play it always depends on what you want to do with your cubs. Want to stay in a area? Fine, but there's going to be a lot of disaster here. Want to move to the wide-open fields? Go ahead, but there's wolves that could come around any second. Every area has its' disasters you must overcome. And it gives great 'teachings' on what to do if X disaster comes around. It is just a brilliant game. Sure it has its' bugs in the Mountain DLC, but its' new and as well they update it every few weeks.
I haven't experienced any disasters apart from the 'the blob' that appears from that island in the middle of the lake at night...and only once or twice. And I've clocked over 10 hours in that game? Should I just play more?
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Flyinghearts
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Flyinghearts » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:58 am

SolitaryHowl wrote:
Flyinghearts wrote:Ah, this game. One of my absolute favorites. If anyone wanted my opinions on this game, Here you go:

I haven't experienced any disasters apart from the 'the blob' that appears from that island in the middle of the lake at night...and only once or twice. And I've clocked over 10 hours in that game? Should I just play more?
You need to go into more areas. When it is winter, go to the snowflake. I recommend you stay around those large outcroppings, because at literally any time, a wolf pack can come and eat up your cubs. When it turns dark, you hear a howl, you better run. You have about 5-6 seconds to get up on a big outcropping.

If you get the mountain DLC, 2 new disasters are Eagles and a Fire. There's bears, and fox as well that are added. And as well as the mountain area. The fires and the eagles can happen in literally any area, any season but winter, and any time.
Also known as T-Rex Terror on steam, and on dA HerothTheDragon.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:12 am

Flyinghearts wrote:
SolitaryHowl wrote:

You need to go into more areas. When it is winter, go to the snowflake. I recommend you stay around those large outcroppings, because at literally any time, a wolf pack can come and eat up your cubs. When it turns dark, you hear a howl, you better run. You have about 5-6 seconds to get up on a big outcropping.

If you get the mountain DLC, 2 new disasters are Eagles and a Fire. There's bears, and fox as well that are added. And as well as the mountain area. The fires and the eagles can happen in literally any area, any season but winter, and any time.
I have the mountain DLC - I've encountered the bear, but not fire, foxes, or eagles. :/

Thanks for the tips!

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:07 pm

Finally poked around looking at both games since I have Steam now. I'll get these games if they go on sale! (Trying to have enough money for other games right now.)

Serperior_123
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Serperior_123 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:13 pm

Love these two games. The art reminds me of The Long Dark ;3

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:07 am

Anyone else hyped for Paws?

It's a standalone game based off Shelter 2 in which you play as a lynx cub, and it looks like it will be released next month. From what I can tell so far, it's going to be absolutely adorable.. although the game studio refers to it as a 'thriller adventure'! I'm really looking forward to this <3

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:21 am

SolitaryHowl wrote:
Flyinghearts wrote:
SolitaryHowl wrote:

I have the mountain DLC - I've encountered the bear, but not fire, foxes, or eagles. :/

Thanks for the tips!

Actually the fires only happen in certain areas (I mostly see them in the forest by the den in the directions of the tree-lake(. The Eagles are most common in the area around the den, the wolves happen at snowflakes, the foxes just happen randomly and the Bears are in the mountain forest.

I'm super hyped for Paws <3
¯~_°. .°_~¯
Night is now falling, so ends this day.
The road is now calling, and I must away.
Over hill and under tree, through lands where never light has shone.
By silver streams that run down to the sea.
¯~_°. .°_~¯

Lyrics - The Last Goodbye by Billy Boyd
Av/Sig - Koa/Raven

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:39 pm

Has anyone tried the 'Paws' game yet? I've seen partial let's plays of it...and it looks very gimmicky. Not sure if I'll get it.

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:21 am

Awww, Paws looks like it's gonna be cute and interesting. But I really wanna play Shelter and Shelter 2 first, which I haven't been able to.

Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Noctis_ » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:27 pm

I've only watched Shelter 2 being played on youtube, it seemed like a really cool game. Really serene, and the art was beautiful. The animals' movements seemed nice and fluid, the animations weren't awkward at all, from what I remember. The game ends with a feeling of peace.
ŊØͻϯϋɇ

FuzzyDesertPaw

Post by FuzzyDesertPaw » Mon May 02, 2016 12:51 am

Shelter 2-best simulator ever! One from the things I like is the amazing graphics and animation! Also I like it,because it's very hard game. I mean-it's impossible to finish the game for one day with all your four cubs! :)

Samber
Name: Akira

Post by Samber » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:14 am

I LOVE Shelter/Shelter 2
Though i never played Shelter nor Shelter 2
But i saw some game plays on YouTube
─ are you calling me a sinner?
av©lupinz
x
X
X

not active anymore

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:43 am

FuzzyDesertPaw wrote: Shelter 2-best simulator ever! One from the things I like is the amazing graphics and animation! Also I like it,because it's very hard game. I mean-it's impossible to finish the game for one day with all your four cubs! :)
It actually really surprises me that very few people seem to have finished the game with all four cubs on Survival/hard mode; it is listed as my 'most rare' achievement on Steam as only 0.8% of Steam's Shelter 2 players have it. Of course, there's a possibility a lot of people just weren't interested enough to try, but... 0.8%? Made me wonder what the rate was for finding all collectibles, which is roughly 0.2% which seems high in comparison. o_o
LunaWolf2468 wrote:I've only watched Shelter 2 being played on youtube, it seemed like a really cool game. Really serene, and the art was beautiful. The animals' movements seemed nice and fluid, the animations weren't awkward at all, from what I remember. The game ends with a feeling of peace.
The ending blew me away the first time! It was so nice, and so serene. Heh.

I've been meaning to give Paws a play for ages, but I initially promised I'd 'stream' it to a friend and since neither of us have time I just haven't bothered. Going to play it as soon as I finish posting this.
  • EDIT
WELP I DID NOT NEED MY HEART ANYWAY

Definitely recommend a playthrough of Paws (although perhaps not at the full price, unless you can easily afford it and want to support the studios). What a game. ;_;

FuzzyDesertPaw

Post by FuzzyDesertPaw » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:33 pm

Anduril wrote:
FuzzyDesertPaw wrote: Shelter 2-best simulator ever! One from the things I like is the amazing graphics and animation! Also I like it,because it's very hard game. I mean-it's impossible to finish the game for one day with all your four cubs! :)
It actually really surprises me that very few people seem to have finished the game with all four cubs on Survival/hard mode; it is listed as my 'most rare' achievement on Steam as only 0.8% of Steam's Shelter 2 players have it. Of course, there's a possibility a lot of people just weren't interested enough to try, but... 0.8%? Made me wonder what the rate was for finding all collectibles, which is roughly 0.2% which seems high in comparison. o_o
LunaWolf2468 wrote:I've only watched Shelter 2 being played on youtube, it seemed like a really cool game. Really serene, and the art was beautiful. The animals' movements seemed nice and fluid, the animations weren't awkward at all, from what I remember. The game ends with a feeling of peace.
The ending blew me away the first time! It was so nice, and so serene. Heh.

I've been meaning to give Paws a play for ages, but I initially promised I'd 'stream' it to a friend and since neither of us have time I just haven't bothered. Going to play it as soon as I finish posting this.
  • EDIT
WELP I DID NOT NEED MY HEART ANYWAY

Definitely recommend a playthrough of Paws (although perhaps not at the full price, unless you can easily afford it and want to support the studios). What a game. ;_;
hehe yes,you're right...XD Sorry but very people fail in the simulator. Anyway Paws is great game.Yes I finished shelter 2 with 4 cubs,and Paws for one day!

Continue be interested with this great lynx simulator!

Edit:
SolitaryHowl wrote:Has anyone tried the 'Paws' game yet? I've seen partial let's plays of it...and it looks very gimmicky. Not sure if I'll get it.
Paws is great game! It worth it.Well you play as cub,but now without our mom how will we survive? Only understand if you play the game...
Last edited by valkea on Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding info from double post