Assassin's Creed series *spoilers!*

Discuss other games. (Video games, tabletop games, etc.)

Moderator: Neamara

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Assassin's Creed series *spoilers!*

Post by paperpaws » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:42 pm

Kintan wrote:Does anyone want to talk about Assassin's Creed: Origins? It came out a short while ago and it seems no one has brought it up. xD
I can't really say much about it since I don't own it, but I've definitely been intrigued by the setting and saw an "explorer mode" pop up on Steam the other day. I don't feel like I can justify buying it for now as I am not fond of spending a lot of money on games I might not have time for, but if there is ever an attractive sale I'll definitely give it a shot.

I'm curious to hear about the experiences of people who have actually played it as well.

Kintan
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Kendall

Post by Kintan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:05 pm

Anduril wrote:
Kintan wrote:Does anyone want to talk about Assassin's Creed: Origins? It came out a short while ago and it seems no one has brought it up. xD
I can't really say much about it since I don't own it, but I've definitely been intrigued by the setting and saw an "explorer mode" pop up on Steam the other day. I don't feel like I can justify buying it for now as I am not fond of spending a lot of money on games I might not have time for, but if there is ever an attractive sale I'll definitely give it a shot.

I'm curious to hear about the experiences of people who have actually played it as well.
I don't own it either, but I have seen some pretty cool easter eggs for it! I want to buy it, but it is pretty expensive as it just came out, so like probably a lot of other people, I am waiting for a couple years so that it doesn't cost as much. :lol:

It actually is a lot like the Far Cry series now! If that's anyone's thing, I would highly recommend to try it out! It honestly looks pretty cool!
✴Kin/Ren✴
TransMale (FtM) ⭐ 17 ⭐ WQ Veteran (since 2012) ⭐ Artist/Writer/Coder
Pain teaches you how to be wise.
Always Keep Fighting
Follow your rebel heart.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:15 am

Origins is great, sans the jumbled present day story that is based off movie canon (no?). It's unlike other Assassin's Creed games, but I encourage people to restrain themselves from comparing it to the Witcher 3. Origins fixed a lot of the series' problems, introduced engaging characters and a colorful cast (which we haven't seen since Black Flag) with a compelling story, and really prioritized exploration. The DLC is solid. The gameplay itself can get repetitive, though the repetition isn't so much in how one approaches things (since there are many ways to diversify and alter your approach to objectives) but in how the game sets it up for you (-- a lot of fortresses). I do feel that the combat is still clunky, and could flow better and be more satisfying as a result of streamlining. Unity still has the best combat in the entire series. The graphics of Origins, of course, are also great (barring some lazy texturing on the animals).

What is NOT great is this upcoming game-- sheesh. The logo for it is terrible and so ugly. It's bad. So I think that says a lot in itself. Why not swords? They threw in a vector of a generic helmet that reminds me of the helmets the agile guards wore in ACB. I'm pretty sure I've seen that exact graphic somewhere else before in the series, too. Sooooooo bad. I never thought they could mess up a logo, but here we are. It looks cheap.

Because of how development works for the Assassin's Creed series, they no longer effectively integrate (a feedback, (b references, connections, and plot devices to capitalize on previous games' historical settings (when applicable) and characters (when applicable), and, most importantly, 3) the present day, because that's precisely what (can) best tie the games all together. Unfortunately, all they do is make loose, sloppy connections. They have wasted an opportunity to truly reboot the series and continue Bayek's story. I'm not opposed to a game in Odyssey's time setting, but I think they should have continued with Bayek-- which, again, because of their development schedule, they were unable to foresee, or decided not to plan for such continuation. I make this suggestion that they (should have) continue(d) with Bayek because I do not trust in their ability to deliver a coherent, overarching story anymore through the present day.

Also, wondering if this new title will have multiplayer. But I doubt it. I think we're still screwed on that front. The real question is-- when will they realize they can make a unique multiplayer format and blow everyone else out of the water if they just put some more effort into it? Assassins Creed Online-- all pvp, using old modes and new ones. Adapt it to create characters and maps from every game. They can use existing ones through AC4. Build a better story around the Animus-- although I suppose the animus is actually obsolete now, so maybe that's why they stopped multiplayer, since that was technically their way of creating a story around it (as Abstergo is testing their animus on you and other people). But hey, they haven't shied away from loose and/or illogical canon before. :roll:

Rain_Swift-River
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Swift

Post by Rain_Swift-River » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:42 am

By far Assassin's Creed Origins is my favorite game in the series. They've made so many improvements from the previous games, which don't get me wrong; they're still great games. But I'm just blown away by the quality of the newer games. I'm so keen for AC Odyssey to come out too, especially since they're bringing in options to choose your dialogue.

The combat systems are incredible though, and the amount of weapons in Origins is crazy! If only they could remaster the older games with updated mechanics like the newer ones!

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:10 am

Rain_Swift-River wrote:By far Assassin's Creed Origins is my favorite game in the series. They've made so many improvements from the previous games, which don't get me wrong; they're still great games. But I'm just blown away by the quality of the newer games. I'm so keen for AC Odyssey to come out too, especially since they're bringing in options to choose your dialogue.

The combat systems are incredible though, and the amount of weapons in Origins is crazy! If only they could remaster the older games with updated mechanics like the newer ones!
I have a problem with Odyssey’s inclination toward open-ended, RPG-driven plotline and here’s why. Posting this from my Facebook.

Assassin’s Creed still retains a lot of plot holes (@modern Day, overarching story) from previous iterations of the franchise. Turning AC into an RPG (1 does not make those plot holes go away and particularly has the (2 ability to exacerbate those plot holes and/or loose and sloppy connections to the Assassin’s Creed universe as a whole when they have been unable to rectify these very issues since post-AC4 in linear games like Unity and Syndicate. It’s unwise and Ubisoft is trying too hard to come out with something akin to the Witcher 3. Origins was great. This is a reskin of Origins with a three year developmental time frame and RPG elements thrown in. The latter concerns me— the former merely annoys me. What does this mean for the lore and modern day as a whole when they haven’t been able to mend these issues already? My point is I don’t have confidence in them creating a game in this format that successfully brands itself as an Assassin’s Creed game and actually conveys that identity. So far, out of what just was shown at E3, I have no inclination that it’s an Assassin’s Creed game (or the sense of a game that is a precursor to the Brotherhood) other than the aesthetics and mechanics. Where are the assassins, or semblance of them? Just because you have the ability to kill people doesn’t make you an Assassin in the Assassin’s Creed sense. I am sensing an identity crisis on the game’s part, here. People complained about that issue of identity in Black Flag but I sense it will be on a bigger scale here in the story.

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Sambhur » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:57 pm

Koa, not gonna lie, I've always loved seeing you talk about AC even if I haven't played that much of the games haha.

My boyfriend's always been really into the AC franchise, I bought him Origins during the last Steam sale and he was over the moon about it. He does have a few problems with it, as does everyone, but still seems to be enjoying it a decent amount despite all that. He's just happy to have another AC game to play.

My first AC game was Black Flag, which I still absolutely love to this day, particularly for its aesthetic that I just let myself get lost in. Whenever I see those blue waters and beach-side jungles/wetlands I get super inspired to draw.

I recently (finally) started playing AC1, after owning it on Steam, untouched, for years. I'm mostly enjoying it but I struggle to stop myself from feeling a bit bored sometimes. It's making me really excited to play the rest of the AC games I also already own, thankfully, now I've just gotta find the time...