Portal & Portal 2

Discuss other games. (Video games, tabletop games, etc.)

Moderator: Neamara

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Portal & Portal 2

Post by Neamara » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:57 am

"Portal" may refer to the games developed by Valve -- Portal, or Portal 2 at the time of this thread's creation. If there are any future Portal games created (though the popular scepticism of Valve creating any 3 sequel to their existing line of games is largely laughed upon) then this thread may also be updated to reflect the additions. Since there are not, we may happily stick with these two games in addition to any modded titles created by the fandom. ;3
The game "Portal" revolves around solving various test chambers with the aim of escaping, while avoiding life-threatening situations and the game's main antagonist, GLaDOS, as the mute protagonist and lab-rat, Chell.

--

• Portal - Release: 2007
    • Platform: Puzzle, strategy.
      Released for: Xbox 360, PC, PlayStation 3.
Portal is a single-player first-person shooter puzzle game developed and published by Valve Corporation. The game was released in a bundle package known as The Orange Box for PC and Xbox 360 on October 9, 2007, and for the PlayStation 3 on December 11, 2007. The Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X versions of the game are also available for download separately through Valve's online delivery platform Steam and was released as a standalone retail product on April 9, 2008. The game consists of a series of puzzles which must be solved by teleporting the player's character and other simple objects using the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device. The goal of each chamber is to reach an exit point, represented by a circular elevator. The "portal gun" and the unusual physics it creates are the emphasis of this game.
The plot of Portal can be found from the source above. Portal was built using Half-Life 2's source, hence why it resembles Half-Life 2 - this was changed in Portal 2, as the game has more advanced and different elements added that the first title lacked. That said, the first Portal theoretically was a test. Given the audience and praise it received, its sequel was born four years later.
  • Portal 2 - Release: 2011
    • Platform: Puzzle; strategy.
      Released for: Xbox 360, PC, PlayStation 3.
Portal 2 is a first-person puzzle video game developed and published by Valve Corporation. It was released on April 19, 2011 for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Portal 2 is a sequel to Portal.
The gameplay of Portal 2 is based on its predecessor Portal, where the player, with the use of portals, solves puzzles. New gameplay elements such as Mobility Gels, the Aerial Faith Plate and the Thermal Discouragement Beam were implemented as means for the player to master in order to solve puzzles.
Chell no longer wears the Advanced Knee Replacement, but instead suited in the new Aperture Science Long Fall Boots. Combat plays a slightly larger role than in the last game, seeing as Chell is always meeting with enemies along the way.
Like the first game, Portal 2 is based on solving more test chambers and survival, though there is a twist amidst the storyline and -- much unlike the first -- features longer gameplay and more challenges. I shan't spoil it if you've yet to play it, but it's a great game that tests the mind, has some funny dialogue, a great story, and decent characters that tie in well. ;)
Portal 2 also saw the release of co-operative gameplay, where two players may play online together and solve various test chambers as a team as GLaDOS's new method to phase out human testing: Atlas and P-Body, two robots created entirely by GLaDOS perhaps from the parts of sentry turrets and cores.
Unlike the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions, the PC version recently received an update to include a build-your-own-test-chamber feature titled "perpetual testing"; any creations you make can be shared across the Steam workshop and played by others.

On the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, Portal was released as part of The Orange Box, which comes bundled with Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode 1, and Half-Life 2: Episode 2, not forgetting Team Fortress 2. It can be purchased as part of the Orange Box collection via Steam, or as a standalone game.
A demo for Portal is available; use the "Portal" link provided, then click "download demo" and try it before purchasing. (:

Portal 2 is not part of any box collection and may be purchased separately, or as a bundle with Portal through the Steam store.

• =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
        ...........O f f i c i a l ... D o w n l o a d s
        =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Note: You may be required to make a transaction via Steam for full games.

.....>> Portal -
.....>> Portal 2 -
.....>> The Orange Box bundle - http://store.steampowered.com/sub/469/
.....>> Portal + Portal 2 bundle - http://store.steampowered.com/sub/7932/

• =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
        ...U n o f f i c i a l ... P o r t a l... G a m e s
        =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
.....>> Portal: Prelude
Portal Prelude is a source mod of the original Portal; it can only be accessed through Steam, rendering it unavailable to PS3 and Xbox 360 respectively. It requires the user to have Portal installed. It cannot be launched without the original game.
Prelude is set to take place before GLaDOS releases neurotoxin within the walls of Aperture, features harder test chambers, puzzles and challenges, including new NPC placement and a much harder GLaDOS to face.
This is a free source mod which may be downloaded here- http://www.portalprelude.com

.....>> Portal Stories: Mel
Portal Stories: Mel is a community made, free modification for Portal 2 based in the Portal universe.
It tells the story of Mel, who meets a new personality core and faces an undiscovered threat to the Aperture facility.

1952, in the early years of Aperture: Science Innovators, Cave Johnson’s scientists experimented with whatever they wanted. Not everything worked as it should have though, but that wasn't going to get in the way of the progress of Science! Mel unfortunately took part in a faulty test called the Aperture: Science Innovators Short-Term Relaxation Vault, falling asleep for years.
This is a free source mod which may be downloaded here-
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

WolvesOfTheSeas
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Re: Portal by [VALVe]

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:36 pm

I have that game i think it very tiring and annoying because i was in the first level only for 10 minutes, and got so dizzy going around around finding no clue where i was, so i quite and never playing that game, but at least i watched it in youtube and also it also very scary when GLaDOS woke, and when she took out all the lights
Thanks Wolf Thief for the avvie! I love it! Ill be stalking you c:

STAY OUT MY MIRROR, STAY OUT OF MY WAY

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:53 pm

Portal is a personal favorite, besides survival horror games.

I forgot to list "Portal Prelude", but I've just started it and it. is. good. :3

WolvesOfTheSeas
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:29 pm

OO how interesting, Thanks for telling NightAngel^^

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:11 am

I've only played Portal 1 but did love the wit of that game. The gameplay was really neat and GLaDOS is just a very interesting 'character' altogether :D

Edme1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Edme1 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:58 am

I love Portal 2! It was especially interesting when GlaDOS turned into a potato battery. :3 It challenges your mind and requires patience and puzzle-solving skills, which is better than most other kill-the-zombies, first-person-shooter games these days.
Bustin' makes me feel good~

"Advance or a8scond!"

♋ ♈ ♉ ♊ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓

http://blueranyk.deviantart.com/
Av from Homestuck

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:35 am

I've wanted to play this ever sense I went over to a friend's house. She had Portal 2. Does anyone know if they have a version for the Wii or Mac?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?

av/sig : fidd/lupe

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:49 am

As far as I am aware, Steam is available for PC and Mac... not 100% sure on it being Mac-friendly. I know it was never released for Nintendo Wii.

Edit: Yup, Steam is Mac-compatible. The system requirements for it-
Steam wrote:Intel Mac, OS X version Leopard 10.5.8, Snow Leopard 10.6.3, or later.
Two-button mouse strongly recommended

Source: http://store.steampowered.com/about/

Updated the first post with links to Steam for each of the Portal-related bundles available, and to include the standalone links. Always check the requirements which are displayed on the provided links. ;)

Riceboy
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Fidd/Randy/Bell

Post by Riceboy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:04 pm

Steam is Mac compatible... Why wouldn't it be?

So are most Valve games. Which is nice, I guess.

Anyway cool game even though I only bought it for the rare Portal item for TF2. :U It's interesting, indeed. Very different with morbid humor.
I could use something to eat.
i am ossan

I'm really, really hungry.

Edme1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Edme1 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:08 am

Lol, yeah. I didn't even know there was a special portal/tf2 item! Thanks Randy!
Bustin' makes me feel good~

"Advance or a8scond!"

♋ ♈ ♉ ♊ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓

http://blueranyk.deviantart.com/
Av from Homestuck

alethe

Post by alethe » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:45 am

Is there a way you can buy a hard copy of the Mac version or do you have to download?

ARE YOU A JEDI ?

WolvesOfTheSeas
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:02 am

For the Official Downloads you need to pay for it^^ and when i was on youtube watching the game ( Patrol2) at the end i got confused why the big ball wanted to the human. Even though they were friends...

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:32 am

river6 wrote:Is there a way you can buy a hard copy of the Mac version or do you have to download?
Ah, I was incorrect- you can buy the game on a disk -- check or inquire at your local game store, or look around online. Amazon appears to have it in stock as a PC DVD:
WolvesOfTheSeas wrote:For the Official Downloads you need to pay for it^^ and when i was on youtube watching the game ( Patrol2) at the end i got confused why the big ball wanted to the human. Even though they were friends...
Ahh, Wheatley is a strange personality core. Personally, I liked him until "The Itch" chapter onwards. :(
I've finished the game numerous times... I'm just looking around for all the Rat Mann dens; those achievements be pesky. xD

alethe

Post by alethe » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:33 am

nightangelwolf wrote:
river6 wrote:Is there a way you can buy a hard copy of the Mac version or do you have to download?
Ah, I was incorrect- you can buy the game on a disk -- check or inquire at your local game store, or look around online. Amazon appears to have it in stock as a PC DVD:

Okay! I will check at the local game store next time I have to run by the area. (I'm trying to save up Amazon money)

ARE YOU A JEDI ?

12231223ss
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by 12231223ss » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:48 am

I love portal :D i have portal 1 and 2 on steam :P just nobody to play portal 2 with ;o