The Legend of Zelda Series

Discuss other games. (Video games, tabletop games, etc.)

Moderator: Neamara

Do you like this game?

YES!
91%
No D:
5%
It was okay
5%

Total votes: 285

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Re: The Legend of Zelda Series

Post by paperpaws » Wed May 02, 2018 1:38 am

I think whether you can consider it a good Zelda game or not definitely depends on what you classify as a Zelda game. I'm also more used to the games that follow a fairly linear plot with a fixed order of areas and dungeons to visit and acquiring upgrades and items right after. When considering Breath of the Wild from that angle, it doesn't really strike me as a Zelda game at all - even if, if anything, its more open playstyle is reminiscent of the very first Zelda game.

I'm not bothered, though. It offers enough puzzles and whatnot in the open world even if they're not as extensive as in the more traditional Zelda game dungeons. I like how they created a world built on Zelda lore and icons and whatnot. Not a fan of what they've done with Zelda, though - I skip all of her cutscenes because of the grating voice acting. (I skip others too, but more out of indifference and just wanting to get on with it, heh.)
-Revan- wrote:Turning the formula on its head worked out for Pokemon Sun & Moon, and it has certainly worked out for BotW.
Ha! Proves that once again it is all a matter of taste. I'll agree it worked out for BotW, but wasn't a fan of Sun and Moon (as much fun as I had with them).
Neamara wrote:Oof, I'm not a fan of water temples.
I LOVED the water boss in Twilight Princess. Something about it was really awe-inspiring to my, what, 10/11 year old self?

ForeverEverest
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Everest/Evie

Post by ForeverEverest » Wed May 02, 2018 2:19 am

I just remembered Kaepora Gaebora... Ocarina of Time was the first Zelda game I played, other than the free download of Four Swords anniversary edition. I find Zelda games are good at having likable and dislikeable characters.

At first, I found Kaepora Gaebora annoying.
For example, you're just walking along, there's new land to explore just up ahead, then someone just has to come and make you wait... Then you try to read it quickly, and accidentally pick 'yes' to 'Do you want to hear what I said again?'. Then you spam the A button because you don't want to listen to him again, but then you accidentally click yes again... Then you have to go through it slowly, which then takes up more of your time, just so you can get away from him.

Later, though, I actually found him kinda entertaining. Mainly because he used to annoy me, I think.

Another character I find dislikeable is Tingle. I'm sure I don't need to explain this one.

However, alongside the annoying characters, I find there are many good ones. I personally like Zoras, and hey, who doesn't like cuccos? Other than those people who have seen that 'Game Over' screen a few times because of them...
╔════--══--══--════╗
The howling cold wind,
the soft summer breeze.
They remind me a little,
of chalk and cheese.

╚════--══--══--════╝
Amazing avatar by: LupinzPack

-Revan-
Pup
Pup
Name: Revan

Post by -Revan- » Wed May 02, 2018 4:52 am

paperpaws wrote:I think whether you can consider it a good Zelda game or not definitely depends on what you classify as a Zelda game. I'm also more used to the games that follow a fairly linear plot with a fixed order of areas and dungeons to visit and acquiring upgrades and items right after. When considering Breath of the Wild from that angle, it doesn't really strike me as a Zelda game at all - even if, if anything, its more open playstyle is reminiscent of the very first Zelda game.

I'm not bothered, though. It offers enough puzzles and whatnot in the open world even if they're not as extensive as in the more traditional Zelda game dungeons. I like how they created a world built on Zelda lore and icons and whatnot. Not a fan of what they've done with Zelda, though - I skip all of her cutscenes because of the grating voice acting. (I skip others too, but more out of indifference and just wanting to get on with it, heh.)
-Revan- wrote:Turning the formula on its head worked out for Pokemon Sun & Moon, and it has certainly worked out for BotW.
Ha! Proves that once again it is all a matter of taste. I'll agree it worked out for BotW, but wasn't a fan of Sun and Moon (as much fun as I had with them).
Oh, I agree that it's a matter of taste. In fact, that's the point I was trying to make. Some people like dungeons and puzzle-y aspects, while others don't. But simply calling it a bad Zelda game over something one personally doesn't like seems odd to me. You might pick certain elements that you use as criteria to to classify something as 'TLoZ enough', but someone else might have different criteria entirely. It's all a matter of perspective, and it's only the "I don't like this, therefore it's not a good Zelda game" mentality that bothers me, you know?
╔═══━━━━ ━━━━═══╗
ʜᴇʟʟᴏ, ʜᴇʟʟᴏ? ᴀɴʏʙᴏᴅʏ ᴏᴜᴛ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ?
'ᴄᴀᴜꜱᴇ ɪ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ʜᴇᴀʀ ᴀ ꜱᴏᴜɴᴅ
ɪ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ ɪꜱ
ʙᴜᴛ ɪ ᴍɪꜱꜱ ɪᴛ ɴᴏᴡ
╚═══━━━━ ━━━━═══╝

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Wed May 02, 2018 5:53 am

Oh yeah, I wasn't disagreeing with you; if anything, the opposite! Just sharing my own experiences with BotW and Zelda games in general. Twilight Princess is still my favourite (and I'm secretly hoping for a Switch port, even though it's been ported so many times already), but I also hold a soft spot for Minish Cap due to that basically dragging me through the aftermath of being hit by a car - both games that follow the more linear formula.

I have Ocarina of Time on the 3DS but haven't really played it to any significant point. I also only played the beginning of Majora's Mask.

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Wed May 02, 2018 6:33 am

frankly, I liked botw better than the rest. Like, call me a fake fan bit heck I don’t care. I have about four other zelda games but didn’t get too far in them. I’m not smart enough for dungeon puzzles, and they kinda annoy me, so most of my games are still on the first dungeon (save for tp, which is stuck on the third lmao)

However botw doesn’t have that. Although there are a lot of puzzles, i can still play around, explore, do what I like to do. I can turn it on for five or ten minutes during a break and turn my mind off for a bit if i need it.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

av/sig : fidd/lupe

ForeverEverest
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Everest/Evie

Post by ForeverEverest » Wed May 02, 2018 6:40 am

I haven't played Twilight Princess, but I have watched my brother play it. I enjoyed watching it to be honest.

My least favourite Zelda game I've played would be Trifroce Heros. That game honestly felt like a waste of money. To be fair, I didn't give it long, but that's probably because it didn't really make me want to stay. At all. I know it was only around the start, but the puzzles were so obvious, I would already know what to do in like two seconds. And that wasn't even a tutorial. Switching character again and again felt like a chore, and there was no sense of challenge or achievement in the game to me. Plus, it's a Zelda game with no Zelda.
╔════--══--══--════╗
The howling cold wind,
the soft summer breeze.
They remind me a little,
of chalk and cheese.

╚════--══--══--════╝
Amazing avatar by: LupinzPack

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Wed May 02, 2018 10:42 am

-Revan- wrote:
SolitaryHowl wrote:I'm on the fence about BotW. It is a good game, just not a good Zelda game.

I am glad I didn't buy the Switch for it, because I would have been angry. It is definitely not worth buying a whole new console for
I strongly disagree......
Different strokes for different folks, I guess! I still enjoyed BotW a lot, it just struck me as being too different. Some change is good, but too much and it starts looking/feeling like a 'generic open-world game' and not Zelda-y enough, IMO

Also, the final boss battle really ground my gears - the game was a 8/10 for me up until then.
Spoiler
Show
Essentially punished for completing all 4 divine beasts (half of the health of calamity ganon is taken off), and his final stage was a joke
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Kereudio
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Maya

Post by Kereudio » Thu May 03, 2018 6:54 am

paperpaws wrote:Not a fan of what they've done with Zelda, though - I skip all of her cutscenes because of the grating voice acting. (I skip others too, but more out of indifference and just wanting to get on with it, heh.)
On the topic of different tastes, I love her and her voice acting,,, she is my wife and I will die for her.

Jokes aside, botw is easily my favorite Zelda title, but it's easy to say that when, aside from a little bit of Skyward Sword and a quarter of Twilight Princess,,, I haven't played a Zelda game before. Granted, I still haven't completed BOTW, so it's clear that my taste in game lies somewhere in the middle of what the different titles in the franchise choose to focus on, but of the three I've played, I love them all for their own reasons. I only wish I had played TP through because now I'm stuck with it on the wii and I am bitter over these controls.
I was writing in order to live.
osamu dazai

av: lupinzpack

Uzumaaki
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Uzumaaki » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:25 am

Breath of the Wild has singlehandedly dragged me out of my recent bout of depression and I'm so grateful lmao

I didn't start playing it until a few days ago because for some reason my boyfriend and I thought you could only have one save file???? And I didn't wanna erase his save. But I realized that wasn't the case and I've been hooked since then :^) I think I've logged close to 20 hours in three days Jesus

I haven't done much except explore and hunt for shrines. I did stumble upon one of Link's memory location things by accident (at the Shrine of Power) and it,, actually made me really sad? Like poor Zelda honestly I wanna hug her but she's out there singlehandedly keeping Hyrule alive while I'm gallivanting around hoarding apples and taming horses and stuff oops

The game does overwhelm me at times with how vast it is especially in comparison to other Zelda games I've played. But I'm sure that's a common feeling!

Also now I understand all the memes about Prince Sidon lOOOOL he's honestly a heartthrob
av by theinfinite

IceaPlayzPC
Name: Icea or Emile

Post by IceaPlayzPC » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:20 am

I've been battling with myself and deciding if i should play the legend of zelda: majora's mask or not. I probably will but i'm going to be facing a few challenges haha... i'm kind of terrified of this game for reasons that are starting to become irrelavent but are still sort of making me reconsider my thoughts haha.

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful game with a very interesting story, but there are two things that bother me (in both a visual perspective for one and sound for another... very minor things really unless you only consider stone tower temple for one of the reasons...) but i wont let those stop me.

Other than that i've had my eyes set on playing it since i think 2016 or 2017... i've been slowly trying to play games i previously vowed to never touch... majora's mask being one of those games, unfortunately. Guess i'm able to handle more creepy stuff now.

i'll probably never get over Skull Kid's laugh though.... its just so.... spooky to me and i dont like it.

On the plus side i would get to ride Epona as a foal... which for some reason was something i wanted to do in OOT 3D when i was around 10 or so. More positives in this game than negatives which is why im more closer to playing it than staying away like i used to (i regret staying away now LOL.)
|•——————)(——————•|
This is where the story ends,
Are we just beginning?
|•——————)(——————•|
(`°.(°._+_.°).°`)
My fate it rains, it rains like cinders
(`°•.(`°•.••••The cadent drums, the war it comes ••••.•°`).•°`)
Growing thunder, terror, wonder
(`°.(°._+_.°).°`)
Av-CatLover on Discord + Bottom Sig-Black Burn, Top Sig - Icea

Nek0chan
Pup
Pup
Name: LupusAlbus, Neko

Post by Nek0chan » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:18 am

I voted "yes", The Legend Of Zelda is one of my favourite videogame series! :D

So far, I've played the 3ds remake of Ocarina Of Time and loved it to bits, then I got the remake of Majora's Mask and I loved it too -- although
Spoiler
Show
I got stuck when I only had 3 or 4 masks left to collect.

I was a bit skeptical of A Link Between Worlds when it came out, since it seemed so different (both artstyle and gameplay wise) from OoT and MM, but I decided to buy it recently and gave it a try and found out I like it a lot, but not as much as Ocarina Of Time 3d. I may play the Oracle games and A Link To The Past once I finish A Link Between Worlds, maybe the old Link's Awakening too.

I've been wanting to play Twilight Princess since forever, but unfortunately I don't have a Wii, much less a Gamecube.

I've heard good things about Breath Of The Wild, but to be honest I'm not very interested in it. Now, the remake of Link's Awakening on the other hand... but the Switch is still fairly expensive, even the Lite, so maybe in a few years. :P
╔.. .═════════════╗

"𝕾𝖍𝖊 𝖍𝖔𝖜𝖑𝖘 𝖆𝖙 𝖒𝖎𝖉𝖓𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙.
𝕸𝖎𝖘𝖙 𝖉𝖗𝖎𝖋𝖙𝖘 𝖋𝖗𝖔𝖒 𝖍𝖊𝖗 𝖘𝖎𝖓𝖌𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖏𝖆𝖜𝖘.
𝕾𝖙𝖆𝖗𝖑𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙 𝖍𝖎𝖙𝖘 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖘𝖓𝖔𝖜."

~ Unknown.

╚═════════════. ..╝