Pokémon

Discuss other games. (Video games, tabletop games, etc.)

Moderator: Neamara

Do You Like Pok`emon?

LOVE it!
64%
I like it.
17%
Its okay...
11%
I absoloutly HATE it!
8%

Total votes: 952

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Pokémon

Post by paperpaws » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:32 am

DaniBeez wrote:I've almost fallen off the Pokemon wagon for good now, but I still like seeing and following the new Pokemon designs as they come out!
In a similar vein, I don't think I'll be purchasing any more new main games, but I still love Pokémon and do like to see what they come up with. I'm definitely down for playing Let's Go sometime, but less stoked about the idea of shelling out €60 for it, so might have to give that one a pass as well.

I'm more than happy to stick with the games currently available, and think ORAS will remain my "go-to" game in terms of dex completion. That said, all my Pokémon from that game are currently in the Pokébank from when I thought i was going to move them to Sun (which I don't want to do anymore) and my subscription ran out.. so that's something for another time.

With games in general, I feel like at this point there's just an excess of options at my disposal and I really do not have the free time (or even the attention span) to justify playing all of them. I'm actively trying to just be happy with more thoroughly enjoying the ones I already own rather than taking a bite out of everything without really completing them. Probably going to prod back into one of the older (Pokémon) titles soon, as I've been feeling the urge to.

ForeverEverest
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Everest/Evie

Post by ForeverEverest » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:39 am

I've been playing Platinum recently, and I've been enjoying it quite a lot. My only complaint is how generation 4 tells people their Pokémon are low on health...
╔════--══--══--════╗
The howling cold wind,
the soft summer breeze.
They remind me a little,
of chalk and cheese.

╚════--══--══--════╝
Amazing avatar by: LupinzPack

Kereudio
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Maya

Post by Kereudio » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:38 am

paperpaws wrote:and my subscription ran out.. so that's something for another time.
Just FYI, people have been reporting that their pokemon are getting deleted if they don't renew their subscription within a certain "grace" period. So if this might be a concern to you, I'd recommend getting it renewed asap, just in case!
I was writing in order to live.
osamu dazai

av: lupinzpack

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:12 am

Kereudio wrote:
paperpaws wrote:and my subscription ran out.. so that's something for another time.
Just FYI, people have been reporting that their pokemon are getting deleted if they don't renew their subscription within a certain "grace" period. So if this might be a concern to you, I'd recommend getting it renewed asap, just in case!
Oh wow, thanks for letting me know. I'm definitely going to look into that ASAP in that case. I pretty much have all my prized Pokémon on there now I've been accumulating since the original Ruby/Sapphire releases.. so I hope it's not too late ._.

EDIT: Well, thanks so much for telling me! Also just found out you don't have to buy a new pass to withdraw them. I'm about to all safely transfer them back to my Alpha Sapphire game (even though I'm about to leave for work). I'd have been infinitely salty if things like my 15-year old Latias would've been gone haha.

Kereudio
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Maya

Post by Kereudio » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:51 am

Oh nice, I didn't know you could withdraw them without a sub, but then again that makes sense now that I think about it. I'm glad you were able to grab them!! Yeah when I heard of that I was scared that I was about to lose my Leafeon that an old friend gave me for my birthday forever ago :(
I was writing in order to live.
osamu dazai

av: lupinzpack

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:35 pm

Kereudio wrote:Oh nice, I didn't know you could withdraw them without a sub, but then again that makes sense now that I think about it. I'm glad you were able to grab them!! Yeah when I heard of that I was scared that I was about to lose my Leafeon that an old friend gave me for my birthday forever ago :(
I didn't know either! Annoying how they don't clarify those things properly, especially the risk of just having your Pokémon wiped. All you have to do is answer "no" when it prompts you to choose if you want to buy a new pass or not. In any case I'm glad I didn't have to pay to get my Pokémon back and am happy they're safe on my Alpha Sapphire cartridge now, even if I hardly ever play anymore. Lots of nostalgia stored on there!

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:01 pm

I have a shorter attention span too now. I think it's all the social media distractions!

Do you think there will be a smartphone pokemon? Or an emoji-based one? :P
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:27 pm

Man, the Pokemon stuff coming out nowadays... :shock: what happened
It's baaadddd
no offense but what happened

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:49 am

TimberRaven wrote:Man, the Pokemon stuff coming out nowadays... :shock: what happened
It's baaadddd
no offense but what happened
This is nothing compared to, say, 18-20 years ago. Pokémon has always enjoyed a certain amount of appeal. They're currently just hyping up for the Switch title that's coming out soon, I guess!

Also. I feel old now. And realise I have Pokémon older than some users on here.
DaniBeez wrote:I have a shorter attention span too now. I think it's all the social media distractions!

Do you think there will be a smartphone pokemon? Or an emoji-based one? :P
For me it's definitely a combination of that + the constant stress I feel whenever I do anything "unproductive" due to the limbo stage of life I'm in. I sure hope there won't be a smartphone or emoji Pokémon, but I wouldn't put it past the designers. Every generation has had their ridiculous ones..

ForeverEverest
Yearling
Yearling

Post by ForeverEverest » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:56 am

One thing I love about Pokémon is that a lot of work does seem to go into them. They all have their own Pokédex entries and all that, some remind me of real animals with how much information there is about them. They don't just say the height and weight, some Pokédex entries include where they usually live, how they communicate, what they eat, how they hunt if they're the predator, and so much more.

I agree that lot of the newer Pokémon haven't really seemed to be up to the typical standard. I'm not sure if the designs are lacking, or if it's just a struggle to settle with all the new Pokémom. Don't get me wrong though, I do really like some of the new Pokémon. I just feel there haven't been as many really good ones lately. I know they like to try something new every region, but the whole Ultra Beast thing wasn't really a hit with me. (I do like the Ultra Jungle though.)
╔════--══--══--════╗
The howling cold wind,
the soft summer breeze.
They remind me a little,
of chalk and cheese.

╚════--══--══--════╝

Admiral Moonfire
Pup
Pup

Post by Admiral Moonfire » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:00 am

...Dang. Now I feel old. I have Pokémon on my original Diamond file from 2007--and possibly a few older ones that came from the GBA games. I know I have a Charizard from FireRed floating around somewhere that might actually be from the first time I played FireRed in 2004. (I've restarted that game so many times I've lost track.)

There are always at least a few designs I like and a few I don't with every generation--I don't think the quality has changed. Though I do admit I don't particularly care for any of the Ultra Beasts either. The Alolan starters are some of the hardest for me to choose from though--I love all three. Which has not been the case for a long time.
Last edited by Admiral Moonfire on Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
~•° °•~
"The future doesn't change. You change the future!" -Playmaker
°• . •°
Character and avatar © Me.

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:34 am

I think the older designs were more simplistic and generally "animalistic" in nature, which I liked, though I agree every generation has their hits and misses. I was quite surprised at how small the X/Y generation was when I noticed it again the other day, haha. Not a lot of unique additions there.

I agree on how nice it is that every Pokémon has their own little part of lore and information about them. It's also nice when you can piece together a more thorough description of a Pokémon through the different dex entries for them.

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:26 pm

I agree with the animalistic term! I guess once you run through all the basic animals, plants, and fungi, you gotta start looking in other areas for inspiration! Although there is still tons of diversity to explore, I think they also are limited in each new generation in how many pokemon they can make, and how they organize them; there is always three starters, a basic/weak three-stage bird and insect, legendaries, etc. with each generation.
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:57 pm

Have any of you picked up Let's Go? Super curious to hear about some experiences. It's too pricey in my eyes to splurge money on just for the sake of checking it out, but I'll be checking if a demo is available.

ForeverEverest
Yearling
Yearling

Post by ForeverEverest » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:13 am

I've got Let's Go Eevee, though I haven't been playing for long enough yet to say much about it. So far it feels like it's just a few other Pokémon games pieced together, but it's still enjoyable.

Here's a list of a few things I think they have recycled:
Generation 1: The region, though I'm sure we all knew the games were set in Kanto.
Generation 6: Pokémon Amie - Playing with Eevee doesn't feel very different to me, though it is adorable.
Generation 7: Ride Pokémon - You can ride on some of your Pokémon, and I think it's much better in the Let's Go games than in Alola.
Pokémon GO: Catching mechanism, which is another feature I'm sure we all knew about.

Although I think the games are great, so far I am yet to come across truly new and unique features.
╔════--══--══--════╗
The howling cold wind,
the soft summer breeze.
They remind me a little,
of chalk and cheese.

╚════--══--══--════╝