Pokémon

Discuss other games. (Video games, tabletop games, etc.)

Moderator: Neamara

Do You Like Pok`emon?

LOVE it!
64%
I like it.
17%
Its okay...
11%
I absoloutly HATE it!
8%

Total votes: 952

Admiral Moonfire
Pup
Pup

Re: Pokémon

Post by Admiral Moonfire » Mon May 11, 2020 1:43 am

That's frustrating. Years ago, I didn't know you could do a soft reset by pressing L + R + Start + Select simultaneously. I was playing Crystal, and somehow managed to push that button combo. I hadn't saved in half an hour or so, and had to go back and redo a bunch of things. Thankfully it wasn't anything major. Imagine if it had happened after finding a shiny or something. ._.'
~•° °•~
"The future doesn't change. You change the future!" -Playmaker
°• . •°
Character and avatar © Me.

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Mon May 11, 2020 1:11 pm

That sounds equally frustrating!

I was bored one evening and found a YouTube series by False Swipe Gaming about "How good was [insert Pokemon here] ACTUALLY?". Covered popular pokemon and how their stats/moves/sprites changed over the games, with respect to competitive play. Poor Typhlosion, taking his flames away and never really improving his movepool. This fan-made Mega Evolution of him is so awesome as well.
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:41 am

I think the Pokemon have been taken too far -- everything has spiraled into an uncomfortable swirl of insanity (but not the kind of insanity I like :roll:)!
What I mean is, okay, Pikachu was cute. Squirtle was cute. Bulbasaur was cute. All the originals are reasonable and cute.
So what are these new overly-powerful rainbow demon things? These aren't Pokemon. The games have turned into chaos and the movies and shows coming out are even weirder. I don't mean any offense, but... come on. They're getting to be absolutely ridiculous.
There's even a Pokemon named Cheeto, and looks just like Eevee, but is grey (should be orange :facepalm:). And in Pokemon Go, they're literally making up "new" Pokemon left and right just for the sake of money and something "new" to catch. I miss the old Pokemon :( but it kind of seems like the only original Pokemon they kept was Pikachu, you know?

Admiral Moonfire
Pup
Pup

Post by Admiral Moonfire » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:10 am

I do wish they'd give Typhlosion something. Anything. All the Johto starters actually, come to think of it.

I dunno, Pokémon still seem like Pokémon to me; there are certainly things I've not been happy about with the games of late (Locking features behind a mobile app, for instance.) but as far as the Pokémon designs themselves I don't really have any complaints.

Maybe you just saw a shiny Eevee? They're pale/gray. There is no Pokémon called Cheeto, unless that's something newly announced for the expansion pass?
~•° °•~
°• . •°

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:05 am

Ah, no, I saw it in a movie, haha. I don't really play the games. My brother plays with Pokemon cards, and occasionally mom lets us catch a Pokemon for her on Pokemon Go, but that's it. We used to watch the Pokemon stuff that Netflix was pumping into their feed, but it turned into.. well... mehh. And everything I'm seeing in trailers, ads, etc., is super crazy and weird! They look like insane Digimon now (LOL)! Not all of them, but just a lot.
What are the games about, though? They have stories, right?

Admiral Moonfire
Pup
Pup

Post by Admiral Moonfire » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:48 am

Ah, I haven't followed the show/movies very closely in a long time. I enjoy revisiting the early stuff now and then, but the later stuff is so repetitive...

I don't really see that; Pokémon tend to have simpler designs, and usually more round shapes, whereas Digimon tend to be a bit busier, a little more angular. But then I've been playing/watching both for a very long time and they're pretty distinct to me. x'D

The main series of games all have basically the same premise; you play a young person setting out as a Pokémon Trainer, and have the goal of becoming the strongest in the region, as well as catching Pokémon in order to complete the Pokédex. Usually there are villains that get in your way, and often legendary Pokémon get involved. The stories aren't really blow you away amazing; some of them are pretty good, but the games are more about catching/raising your Pokémon team. You can also battle online with other players, which is quite a bit of fun, and a lot more accessible in Sword/Shield since it's fairly easy to max stats and whatnot compared to past games.
~•° °•~
°• . •°

Nek0chan
Pup
Pup
Name: LupusAlbus, Neko

Post by Nek0chan » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:35 am

Although I love Pokemon (specially the Mystery Dungeon series!) and have played many of them for many hours, but Sword/Shield doesn't convince me. I think cutting out so many pokemon was the last straw that made me lose all interest in it. :?

On the other hand, I'm very exited for Pokemon Snap! I'm sure it'll be great. :mrgreen:

I wish they made a game like Detective Pikachu or like Colosseum for the Switch, I'm sure it would be awesome.
╔.. .═════════════╗

"𝕾𝖍𝖊 𝖍𝖔𝖜𝖑𝖘 𝖆𝖙 𝖒𝖎𝖉𝖓𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙.
𝕸𝖎𝖘𝖙 𝖉𝖗𝖎𝖋𝖙𝖘 𝖋𝖗𝖔𝖒 𝖍𝖊𝖗 𝖘𝖎𝖓𝖌𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖏𝖆𝖜𝖘.
𝕾𝖙𝖆𝖗𝖑𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙 𝖍𝖎𝖙𝖘 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖘𝖓𝖔𝖜."

~ Unknown.

╚═════════════. ..╝

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:13 pm

I don't think I've ever actually played the card game or had a single video game, yet, but I've collected some random cards since I was a little kid. I don't even have much clue how to play the game, I just like the cards and artwork lol. A friend and I watched the anime at her house sometimes and traded cards, and a bunch of people in my school were always trading cards. I think most or all of my cards are secondhand and from elementary school, so all things considered, they're in pretty good condition. I have this one Pokemon book from who-knows-when, and I like reading about the different regions and characters and stuff.

For someone who's never played before, what video game do yall recommend? I no longer have my old Nintento DS (rip...) but I have my PC.
"The strength and the fellowship of the clan will always be with you, even when you hunt alone." - Warriors

==================================================

Good vibes

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Sambhur » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:32 pm

Windstrider wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:13 pm
I don't think I've ever actually played the card game or had a single video game, yet, but I've collected some random cards since I was a little kid. I don't even have much clue how to play the game, I just like the cards and artwork lol. A friend and I watched the anime at her house sometimes and traded cards, and a bunch of people in my school were always trading cards. I think most or all of my cards are secondhand and from elementary school, so all things considered, they're in pretty good condition. I have this one Pokemon book from who-knows-when, and I like reading about the different regions and characters and stuff.

For someone who's never played before, what video game do yall recommend? I no longer have my old Nintento DS (rip...) but I have my PC.
Most people who collect the cards don't play the card game so you're not unusual there hahaha.

I would play in like, chronological order, starting from LeafGreen/FireRed (that way you're playing newer games without missing out on any regions/pokemon) just because it's sometimes hard to go back and play older games that don't have the same quality of life improvements as the newer ones (talking about video games in general here from my personal experience). You could honestly start at any game though, if that kind of thing doesn't bother you. But also keep in mind that the older games do expect you to spend plenty of time grinding for xp (which is what I love about them, but not everyone is the same lol). I haven't really been as into any of the 3D games as much as I was into the 2D ones and part of that is because of the massive decrease in difficulty that happened around that same time, so keep that in mind I guess. Also pretty much each game has its own gimmick that doesn't carry over to the next one, so don't be surprised if some special feature you liked in one game has disappeared in the next generation lol.

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:52 pm

MAJOR Okami vibes from the Legends: Arceus trailer. The brushwork style for the backstory, the closing music theme... although given the game's setting and platform, some similarities are to be expected. Hisuian Growlithe is very cute though. I hope Arcanine gets a cool "foo" dog look!
DaniBeez
___Avatar by Sambhur

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Sambhur » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:02 pm

Yesss the Arceus news gave me so much hype, I already drew and posted some hisuian growlithe fan art to my twitter lmao. I love simple art styles so I'm not in the same camp as all the people asking why it doesn't look like the Witcher 3 or Monster Hunter Rise even though they were also released on Switch, but some people did point out that when compared to a game like Monster Hunter Stories 2 which has a similar art style, Arceus does look a bit barebones environment-wise and I agree that it could be improved a bit. But again, graphics are always the lowest priority on my list of game things so I'll live lol. Very excited for the big change in gameplay, I like it when they take risks.

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:10 am

Yeah, I guess they gotta fix their reputation a bit after Sword and Shield. Looking forward to following the updates.

I checked out your art! Very cute. This Growlithe is cute. I might give it a go too! I need to draw something light and happy.
DaniBeez
___Avatar by Sambhur

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Sambhur » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:36 am

DaniBeez wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:10 am
I checked out your art! Very cute. This Growlithe is cute. I might give it a go too! I need to draw something light and happy.
Thank you!! And yeah I gotta do fan art more often, it feels nice lol.

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:30 am

I'm looking forward to revisiting Sinnoh in Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, but I'm still on the fence about Legends: Arceus. I'm watching Serebii for news in the meantime and hoping it'll be the refresh the franchise needs.

Seeing Loach's Pokémon Stadium post in the Discord a little while ago inspired me to dig out my old GameBoy cartridges and revisit both Stadium 1 & 2 for the first time in agessss. I'd forgotten how much I loved the minigames! Clefairy Says, anyone? Unfortunately my GB Yellow cart battery had died, so no minigame or battle cameos for Sparky. :( Apparently I didn't back up any of my dead battery carts' boxes to my N64 either, so RIP my favourite childhood L97 Pikachu and the Raikou who evaded me for a long, long time in Silver. </3 Ah well. Time to rebuild, make good competitive move sets, and hopefully finish Gym Leader Castle and whatever Stadium Cups remain.

Sambhur wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:32 pm
it's sometimes hard to go back and play older games that don't have the same quality of life improvements as the newer ones
I will forever hate the mechanic of missed throws in Gen 1. Literally. The. Worst. Next to the levelling grind. What I'd give for party-distributed EXP Share in the earlier games...
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:26 am

I liked Stadium's sushi one the best :P

I also remember walking to the other end of town to a local game shop to buy a used Sapphire cartridge, and paying extra for one that still had the internal clock functioning. Only to find out later that it didn't! Couldn't be bothered to go back and get the refund though.

Growlithe Fanart!
DaniBeez
___Avatar by Sambhur