Personality ethogram

Share your wolf, its pack, and their progress within this forum for others to see.
Forum rules
This forum is for gameplay content only. Gameplay logs, bios, family trees and screenshots are allowed here. Art (e.g. character art) should be shared in Wolf Artwork.
-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Personality ethogram

Post by -Wolfdog- » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:11 pm

Personality Ethogram

Welcome to my personal Wolfquest ethogram where I will try to guess my wolves' personalities based on their behavior :wolf: This is useful info when hunting, guarding, patrolling, etc as well as the likliehood of a pup wandering out of the den during an attack. First let's start off with Lumi:
Lumi:
I've set Lumi's personality to mostly bold, social, and energetic (with energetic almost maxed out). I wanted to give her typical Siberian husky attributes (I have two Sibes, very bold, social, and energetic dogs). Now, I don't always play according to her personality, but I like taking risks when hunting, I like spending time with my pups and my wolf is almost always moving. How her personality boils down to the pups' is also dependent upon Abnus's personality.
Abnus:

This is a rough idea of what I think Abnus's personality is. But of course, it's nearly impossible to predict with 100% accuracy, however, I can get a good idea based upon his behavior, especially when he's interacting with the pups.
  • Cautious <-> Bold
Abnus will always help Lumi out with hunting, regardless of how dangerous the prey may be. Abnus has killed hares and is often the one who will finish off weak prey. Additionally, he has been known to chase away just about any competitor, including foxes, bears, coyotes, and stranger wolves. If permadeath were enabled, I'm pretty sure Abnus would've been killed a long time ago since he has faced several near-death experiences (in which case I literally had to force him to retreat). So It's safe to say Abnus is very bold. ✔
  • Loner <-> Social
This one is a bit trickier. Abnus interacts with the pups pretty frequently, he loves play bowing, rolling over, and raising his tail in confidence. He joins Lumi on hunts without prompting, and will gladly howl with Lumi. While Abnus displays many sociable traits, he also prefers to go alone just as equally. He'll walk meters away from the den, and half of the time he'll guard the pups by himself while Lumi is out hunting. He almost always eats his food away from the carcass and he won't be hesitant on hunting/patrolling for himself when times get rough. For now I am going to say he's a 50/50 but leaning more towards loner. ✔
  • Lazy <-> Energetic
Abnus is a healthy mix of lazy and energetic. He participates often in pup care by regurgitating food and picking up wandering pups. He may pace around the den while everyone else is resting, but often times he'll either sit or lay down away from the pack, indicating that he shares some lazy attributes too (combined with loner). Abnus clearly isn't on the extreme spectrum of laziness, he will only rest when it's appropriate to do so and no predators are nearby. He might also participate in hunts frequently because he's more energetic mixed with bold. ✔
Last edited by -Wolfdog- on Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

rowantobias
Name: Rowan

Re: Personality ethogram

Post by rowantobias » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:08 pm

what a fun idea for a topic! really love seeing the guesswork :]
⍋°⍋ the night wore on. the forest remained as still as stone. ⍋°⍋
⚘⑇⚘⑇ ( they / he | discord mod ) ⑇⚘⑇⚘

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling

Post by -Wolfdog- » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:40 pm

rowantobias wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:08 pm
what a fun idea for a topic! really love seeing the guesswork :]
Thanks, there is still a lot of work to do though, especially with the pups since it's not nearly as obvious.

[edit]
Abnus chased off a bear by himself! Lumi only had 11% health and I was sure Lumi would die and something bad might happen to the pups. Fortunately Abnus stepped in and thwarted the bear's attempts by leading it far away from the den.
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling

Post by -Wolfdog- » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:27 pm

Pups' Personalities
Lupa:
  • Cautious <-> Bold
Honestly, pup personalities have always been very difficult for me. Unlike adults, pups can't hunt, patrol, nor fight, therefore the outlets available for displaying their personalities are limited to just running around the den. I'll update this later when I have sufficient information. But for now, I don't see a whole lot of bold personality traits and my pups are pretty obedient, so she may be more cautious. But both parents seem to be more bold, so I question whether or not she's truly cautious.
  • Loner <-> Social
Lupa is definitely a social butterfly! I don't see her straying far from the den, and she loves sleeping next to Lumi. Lupa engages in play with her siblings, and even likes tugging on Lobo's tail. I'll update this with screenshots and a more detailed analysis!
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾