The Meadow Pack - Journal

Share your wolf, its pack, and their progress within this forum for others to see.
Forum rules
This forum is for gameplay content only. Gameplay logs, bios, family trees and screenshots are allowed here. Art (e.g. character art) should be shared in Wolf Artwork.
IceaPlayzPC
Name: Icea or Emile

The Meadow Pack - Journal

Post by IceaPlayzPC » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:44 pm

The Meadow Pack
Long before the pack was formed, a litter of puppies from the Mollie's pack was each microchipped and tracked. One pup, named Fireweed, would be tracked by one team of rangers. He would eventually form the Meadow Pack with his mate, Marigold, otherwise known as Wapiti 2F. The Meadow Pack was named for its small territory in Slough Creek's first Meadow, and wolves in this pack are mainly named after flowers. This is the journal containing the pack member database and the yearly logs of the pack.

How it works:
This main thread, below all the introductory stuff, will contain short bios of each wolf in the pack
Yearly logs (gameplay logs) will each have their own post, with the current yearly log being edited until the end of the year (end of current
game episode, future events will be summarized). Dates registered in the yearly logs and wolf bios are purely aesthetic, not representative of actual dates and are rather insignificant considering the main focus is a wolf's life (and not what happened in like x date 2010 for example, as i will be using both past dates and future dates (after surpassing 2021).
Mentions of Trail Cams, Den Cams, etc are pure aesthetic. We all know there aren't cameras in the dens, but i wanted to use them as a sort of explanation for how images of the wolves are taken in the little gameplay story i have going on. Its not far-fetched for rangers of a national park to set up these things (think Voyageurs national park)

Meet the Pack!

Legend
Green Name - living
Dull Brown Name - deceased
Grey Name - status unknown

The Breeding Pair
Fireweed
Meadow 1M, 8 years old at death, born April 2007, died June 2015
Fireweed was born in the Mollie's Pack in 2007. He, along with his two littermates, were microchipped for observation. Fireweed has been observed to be headstrong and very energetic. He is social and enjoys being around other wolves. He dispersed from his pack long after his two siblings and his parents had to chase him out themselves since he refused to leave on his own. He tried to return a few times only to be chased out again, and Fireweed finally set out on his own in late September 2009. He hung around Wapiti Lake pack for much of October and eventually found a mate there in November.

Marigold
Meadow 1F, 9 years old at death, born April 2007, died April 2016
Marigold was born in Wapiti Lake pack in 2007. Not much is known about her since she wasn't microchipped at a young age. She dispersed from her pack some time in 2009 and met Fireweed in November of the same year. They became mates relatively quickly, seeming to click. Marigold is a bold and social wolf who enjoys her mate's company. She is known to be very protective of her family, willing to chase animals far away from her family to allow her mate to deal with other matters.

The Pups
*Pup Bios are a work in progress since i need to craft my own personalities for them. I unfortunately cannot figure out personalities by behaviour alone so i need some time to craft bios for them*

Litter 1
Photos of each puppy unclear, some have been shrouded in bushes or were facing away from the trail cameras. Will get better pictures as soon as possible. Identities of the wolves known due to microchipping.
(in other words, i haven't decided on full physical attributes like slider options and stuff, so i will take better screenshots once i've developed the pups more)

Daisy
Meadow 2F, Age 6, born April 2010
Arnica
Meadow 2M, Age 6, born April 2010
Tulip
Meadow 3F, Age 6, born April 2010
Azalea
Meadow 4F, Age 6, born April 2010
Rose
Meadow 3M, Age 6, born April 2010

Litter 2
*Images will be updated soon!
Lavender
Meadow 5F, Age 5, born April 2011
Lilac
Meadow 6F, Age 5, born April 2011
Lupine
Meadow 4M, Age 5, born April 2011
Larkspur
Meadow 7F, Age 5, born April 2011
Leadwort
Meadow 5M, Age 5, born April 2011

Litter 3
*Images coming someday! due to the elusive nature of these pups we haven't found them yet
Moonflower
Meadow 8F, Age 4, born April 2012
Sunflower
Meadow 6M, Age 4, born April 2012
Yarrow
Meadow 7M, Age 4, born April 2012
Foxglove
Meadow 9F, Age 4, born April 2012
Buttercup
Meadow 10F, ~3 months at death, born April 2012, died July 2012

Litter 4
*images coming soon!
Yucca
Meadow 11F, Age 3, born April 2013
Snapdragon
Meadow 12F, Age 3, born April 2013

Litter 5
Aster
Meadow 8M, Age 2, born April 2014
Boneset
Meadow 9M, ~1 month at death, born April 2014, died May 2014
Chive
Meadow 13F, ~2 months at death, born April 2014, died June 2014
Poppy
Meadow 14F, ~1 month at death, born April 2014, died May 2014
Fennel
Meadow 10M, Age 2, born April 2014

Litter 6
Mazus
Meadow 11M, ~2 months old at death, born April 2015, died June 2015
Comfrey
Meadow 12M, Age 1, born April 2015
Orchid
Meadow 13M, Age 1, born April 2015
Last edited by IceaPlayzPC on Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:15 am, edited 7 times in total.
|•——————)(——————•|
This is where the story ends,
Are we just beginning?
|•——————)(——————•|
(`°.(°._+_.°).°`)
My fate it rains, it rains like cinders
(`°•.(`°•.••••The cadent drums, the war it comes ••••.•°`).•°`)
Growing thunder, terror, wonder
(`°.(°._+_.°).°`)
Av-CatLover on Discord + Bottom Sig-Black Burn, Top Sig - Icea

IceaPlayzPC

Re: The Meadow Pack - Journal

Post by IceaPlayzPC » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:30 pm

Yearly Log
(small disclaimer: since the session in question was almost done when i thought of making this thread, i don't remember 100% what happened, so info may be scarce in this log!)

January
-Fireweed and Marigold, having become mates in November 2009, arrive in Slough Creek late in the month.

February
-Marigold shows signs of pregnancy. Both her and Fireweed begin to carve out their territory.

March
-Territory is mostly carved out, a small one. Fireweed and Marigold continue to maintain the territory while they scope out for dens.

April
-The pair maintains their territory. Radar shows them settling in a den near Bison Peak.
-While the pair was hunting, rangers set up cameras around the area, including one hiding in the tree the den rested under.
-Pups are born, as evident by squeaking being picked up by the den cam.

May
-Pups leave the den for the first time. Five pups are confirmed, though genders are unknown by rangers. A plan to microchip the pups is in motion, but for now they would leave the den alone.
-Pup coats begin to emerge and pups spend more time outside the den. Fireweed and Marigold hang out around the den and feed the pups before setting out to find food and mark territory.
-Fireweed returns carrying a toy shovel that a kid presumably left behind. The pups seem to love this strange object.
-On a particularly long excursion, the pups are microchipped by rangers while the pair was gone. There are three female pups and two males. The females are named Daisy, Tulip and Azalea, while the males are named Arnica and Rose, keeping with the flower theme. Azalea is the largest pup while Rose is the runt (sidenote: this obviously did not happen in-game, but i like to imagine events in areas my wolf is not present in to make the game more fun for me c: it serves as an explanation as to how the rangers know the genders of the pups, too, as the journal is in a ranger PoV while being based on my game sessions)
-Rival wolves attack the den while the parents are home, but luckily Fireweed spotted the wolves early and they left without much fuss.
-Two eagle attacks happen over the next few days.
-One morning in late May, once the flooding in First Meadow has ceased, the pack is nowhere to be found at the den. Checking back on footage reveals Fireweed emerging from the den soaking wet and soon leaving the area.
-One of the cameras caught a coyote attack in the distance from the wolves. It is unknown if any pups survived. Interestingly, the toy shovel is gone from the next site.
-Once Fireweed and the pup's radar signals have settled, rangers set up cameras at the new densite while Fireweed and Marigold are hunting.
-The video footage at the new den reveals all the pups survived the coyote attack and the crossing of the river, as all five pups are seen emerging from the den when the parents return.
-The next several days are rather uneventful. There is the occasional eagle attack, and Fireweed is seen looking around the den frantically one night before darting towards something. One camera revealed it to be a cougar.
-A trailcam from a little ways away reveals Fireweed trotting past with a moose calf in his jaws. What a feast for the pups!
-A few days after the moose calf was brought to the den, the pack was gone again. Footage revealed another den move. The pack had moved to a nearby den up north

June
-Not long after the move, just a day after the new cameras were set up, the pack was on the move again. A few trailcams caught them roaming across first meadow, and one camera near the ranger cabin caught Fireweed scoping out an area alone and marking territory before walking away. The rest of the pack would pass by the same camera several hours later..
-New cameras were set up quickly as the wolves picked a rendezvous site near the ranger cabin. Fireweed would be seen bringing elk calves to the site. He brought three over the past few days.
-A bear attacked the rendezvous site one day. The bear was observed to almost snatch Daisy, but Fireweed came to the rescue swiftly. While Daisy ran away into the nearby grass, Fireweed got the bear to chase him and he took off as far as he could, running by the nearby trail cam. A few moments later, he returned.
-Azalea was observed with weakening health. It seemed that she was sick... Fireweed seemed to notice and remained with her as much as he could. With the amount of food the pups had at the rendezvous site, Fireweed and Marigold would only need to leave to get themselves food and mark territory.

July
-Several days later, Daisy fell ill as well, but Azalea had recovered from her sickness and was full of energy.
-The pack continued to raise the pups at the Rendezvous site until the pack was observed leaving. The pack eventually left slough creek altogether... heading towards Tower Fall.
|•——————)(——————•|
Are we just beginning?
|•——————)(——————•|
(`°.(°._+_.°).°`)
(`°.(°._+_.°).°`)

IceaPlayzPC

Post by IceaPlayzPC » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:55 pm

Yearly Log
March & April
-Fireweed and Marigold return to Slough Creek and carve out their territory. They make a territory similar size as last year
-They stop at a den dubbed as the Aspen Heights den, one of the dens from last year. As such, no new cameras needed to be set up as rangers decided to leave them up as trailcams
-New litter of pups are born

May
-Pups leave den, another litter of five. Fireweed and Marigold are observed hanging around the den for several hours unlike last year where they hung out for a bit before heading out.
-Pups are microchipped and named: Three female pups are named Lavender, Lilac and Larkspur, and two male pups are named Lupine and Leadwort.
-A Cougar attacks the den and almost snatches a pup, but Fireweed and Marigold chase it off successfully.
-Lupine is observed wandering off, but Fireweed is quick to fetch him. However, Fireweed pauses, brings Lupine back to the den and send them inside before darting off. One camera catches him attacking a lone wolf - thought to be a Junction Butte wolf.
-A bear attacks the den. The parents get a stroke of bad luck where the bear keeps dodging Fireweed's bites. The bear almost grabs Lilac but Marigold and Fireweed bite it just in time. Lilac runs far from the den as the bear struggles to chase her. Fireweed decides to leave the bear to grab Lilac while Marigold dealt with the bear and the bear gave up and ran. Lilac is returned to the den safe and sound.
-During an eagle attack, Lilac leaves the den and tries to dart off into the open. Fireweed desperately woofs her back into the den and luckily, she eventually listens.
-Lavender falls ill. Fireweed and Marigold try their best to spend time with her, but Fireweed occasionally goes on lone excursions to mark territory and often takes Marigold with him to hunt.
-Sometime in the day, the pack is observed abandoning the den. Likely due to fleas
-Pack arrives at the tree den from the previous year, so no new cameras need to be set up.

June
-Fireweed brings back a fawn carcass and later an elk calf carcass
-A few days later, Larkspur falls ill, and Lavender's sickness is worsening. Fireweed opts to spend as much time with them as possible, only leaving for food and territory marking very occasionally.
-Fireweed is seen taking on a moose calf in trail cameras, and the camera catches the tail end of it. Fireweed takes the moose calf home after the mother flees.
-Lavender recovers from her sickness, though, Larkspur's health is declining.
-Wolves attack the den when Fireweed leaves the interior of the den to mark territory. They are fended off swiftly.
-Larkspur recovers from her illness barely clinging onto life. She is weak but is bouncing back fairly quickly
-Pack leaves the den in the evening and arrive to the same Rendezvous site as last year.
-Fireweed leaves to hunt, as evident to him passing by a trail cam with an elk calf in his jaws.

July
-Our trail cams were having issues for a bit, we managed to fix them but shortly after we did, the pack left for Tower Fall. All pups are alive still.
Last edited by IceaPlayzPC on Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|•——————)(——————•|
Are we just beginning?
|•——————)(——————•|
(`°.(°._+_.°).°`)
(`°.(°._+_.°).°`)

AStrangerOnline
Pup
Pup
Name: Mochi

Post by AStrangerOnline » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:16 am

Loved reading your log so far and I'm inspired to do something similar with my own wolves (if that was alright with you of course) Can't wait to see what happens next with your wolves!

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:34 pm

I did something similar to this (a pack log), I think I'd like to recreate it again!
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

IceaPlayzPC

Post by IceaPlayzPC » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:43 pm

I've been a bit bad and haven't done much with Fireweed, but i should be playing him again soon! I finished the last litter and started a new one but didn't write anything down sadly :c Glad you guys like following my pack though! I think instead of periodically updating here with WIP logs i think instead i'll write the full thing in google docs then post here :)
|•——————)(——————•|
Are we just beginning?
|•——————)(——————•|
(`°.(°._+_.°).°`)
(`°.(°._+_.°).°`)

IceaPlayzPC

Post by IceaPlayzPC » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:47 pm

A two-in-one log package deal for this one, as 2012 is short for reasons that will be explained.
Yearly Log
March-June
For unknown reasons, the pack stayed in Tower Fall after traveling to it for the summer last year, and had their litter there. The pack would ultimately return to Slough Creek in June to take up the traditional Rendezvous site. Here we found that the same litter format as the last was present - 5 pups with three females and two males. We named the pups but didn't tag them, however all of them looked different enough to know who was what. We named the females Moonflower, Foxglove and Buttercup, and the males Sunflower and Yarrow.

July
-The pack is doing very well, but Fireweed is not seen bringing home food as much as the previous two years, likely having trouble finding food.
-Buttercup falls ill. Fireweed begins to spend more time at the Rendezvous site, seeming more worried than when his other pups got sick in the past...
-Buttercup's sickness seems to worsen as Sunflower falls ill too. Eventually, once food is plentiful for the pups. Fireweed stays home with Buttercup
-Unfortunately, after spending as much time with her as possible while chasing off countless bears, Buttercup succumbs to illness shortly after a bear attack, with Fireweed laying beside her. He does not seem to be taking the death well, laying there and licking the dead pup repeatedly as if in denial...
-Later, an interesting interaction is seen between the breeding pair. Fireweed is laying down, as if sulking, but Marigold whimpers at him nonstop to come hunt, and eventually he relents and goes with her. We thought this was a very sweet interaction, showing that Marigold wanted her mate to not mourn for too long. At least, thats how we interpreted it.
-Eventually, Yarrow seemed to fall ill, but Sunflower recovered from his sickness
-The pack once again moves to Tower Fall nearing the beginning of August. We are uncertain about the pups now, since we did not chip them, but we plan to find them eventually and tag them.

Yearly Log
April
-We decided to stop logging the territory marking portion of the wolves lives, though we still monitor it. The pack has settled in saddle meadows this time but with a smaller territory now.
-Two pups emerge from the den, a stark different from the first three litters of five.
-We, as usual, microchip and name the pups: Yucca and Snapdragon. We also set up cameras at the Saddle Meadows den location, as we haven't before.

May
-Nothing too interesting happened this year, Fireweed and Marigold, having less of a workload now, got to spend more time at the den with the pups, only going out to maintain territory and hunt. There were some predator attacks, and especially some close calls at the den, but the pups were doing just fine.
-The pack eventually is seen following the wagon trail towards the Rendezvous site, but we assumed that they were just moving dens.
-Our assumption of a den move was correct, cuz the trail cams we had near the first den Fireweed and Marigold used caught them at the densite. It was the usual there, with lots of time on their paws to spend time with the pups and nap.

June-July
-Eventually, the wolves are seen by the wagon trail again after noticing the densite was abandoned. While this was caught on one of our security cams, a ranger actually saw the wolves from the cabin, watched them disappear into the forest where the Rendezvous site was. What was cool was Fireweed was carrying a moose calf!
-The wolves settled in, and Fireweed was back to his tendency to catch a baby ungulate every outing. He brought several elk calves and a mule deer fawn.
-By the end of July, the wolves move to Tower Fall once more

(ooc notes: since i did the first half of the 2012/litter 3 litter back in october but forgot to log it, i could not remember what happened. In lieu of being able to move maps and have litters in other maps, i utilized this concept for them and since i remember the rendezvous site portion, the pack moved back to Slough Creek in-lore :>
Also sadly... the pack's first death... RIP Buttercup... :c)
|•——————)(——————•|
Are we just beginning?
|•——————)(——————•|
(`°.(°._+_.°).°`)
(`°.(°._+_.°).°`)

IceaPlayzPC

Post by IceaPlayzPC » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:21 am

Yearly Log
April
-Five pups emerge from the den
-Some days later, we do our usual chipping and naming - there were three males, we named them Aster, Boneset and Fennel. The two females were named Chive and Poppy.

May
-Fennel shows signs of sickness, and later that day Poppy is looking ill as well. Fireweed spends as much time at the den as he can, but has to balance territory and getting food, so he is seen leaving the den at times
-After a while, Fennel recovers, though Boneset is now sick as well.
-Fireweed begins to spend more and more time at the den as Poppy's health declines. He fights off various predators that come to the den occasionally. Unfortunately, Poppy eventually succumbs to the illness.
-Fireweed leaves the den more and more, despite trying to spend time with Boneset. Perhaps constant invaders?
-Boneset succumbs to illness.
-Later in the month, the pack moves to the aspen heights densite.
-Aster falls ill, we're starting to believe this litter is more of a sickly one than the others. Its not a huge surprise as grey-coated wolves are less resistant than black-coated wolves, but we think the litter may have immune system issues, as sickness hasn't affected the previous litters, aside from Buttercup dying of illness.
-Fireweed seems done about wolves invading his land, as when some wolves attack the den, he doesn't return for a bit, assumingly escorting the intruders to their territory. Judging by direction, they may have either been crevice lake wolves or prospect peak wolves.
-Aster recovers from sickness, though Chive falls ill.

June-July
-The pack moves to the rendezvous site. Fireweed is observed carrying Chive there, as she is weak from illness.
-Fireweed brings home lots of food for the pups like he has in the past, however he does not actively maintain the northern end of his territory, likely due to the abundance of food. One of the ranger cabin cams observed him killing a lone elk, then searching the grass and catching her hiding calf. This happened again in July.
-Despite holding on for a lot longer than the other two deceased sick siblings, Chive eventually succumbs to illness shortly after a wolf attack.
-Fireweed comes home one night with some injuries, likely having gotten into a fight. He recovers from them relatively okay, however.
-The pack eventually leaves for Tower Fall in august.
|•——————)(——————•|
Are we just beginning?
|•——————)(——————•|
(`°.(°._+_.°).°`)
(`°.(°._+_.°).°`)

IceaPlayzPC

Post by IceaPlayzPC » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:51 pm

Yearly Log
April
-Three pups are seen coming out of the den. We decide to not tag them - Fireweed's age is taking a toll on him and he seemed slower than usual and lies down a lot more. We suspect this litter won't make it, whether Fireweed and Marigold are unable to fend off predators, sickness, or if both parents die before raising the pups to adulthood. We also didn't tag them so we wouldn't be tempted to save them if they end up alone.
-We do go out there to name the pups, though, in the off chance they do survive to adulthood, while the parents were hunting. All three were males, we named them Mazus, Comfrey and Orchid.

May
-Comfrey falls ill some days into may, and Fireweed, seeming to like resting and not having anything to do, happily stays at the den to be with him. He is observed chasing something just off the camera, but a cougar could be heard reacting to some sort of an attack, so Fireweed was chasing off a cougar.
-Comfrey recovers from illness almost at the brink of death.
-After Marigold and Fireweed return from a hunt, Orchid shows signs of sickness.
-Later that night, Fireweed sends the pups into the den, but a bear rushes in. It was a very intense scene, with the bear relentlessly trying to take Mazus away to eat him. Fireweed eventually ran and grabbed Mazus and carried him back to the den while Marigold distracted the bear and Mazus made it inside safely, at which point the bear decided to give up. Fireweed was seen with an injury as he ducked inside the den, likely to recover.
-Orchid, barely clinging to life, recovers from his illness while within the den with Fireweed
-A while later, the pack is seen moving along the wagon trail to a new den. They move into the saddle meadows site.
-Fireweed begins to show more and more signs of weakness as the days go by.

June
-One day, Fireweed emerges from the den after resting with the pups during a rainstorm. Little did we know that this was his last day. He caught an elk calf for the pups to eat, and, while resting with his pups, he laid his head down and never woke up. We didn't notice he had died until we realize he hadn't moved the rest of the day into the next day.
-Marigold, a one-wolf team, unfortunately is unable to save Mazus from a bear attack.
-Marigold moves the pups to the traditional rendezvous site, and decides to spend the rest of the year there.

Bonus Yearly Log
Early 2016
April
-Once the pups are old enough, we head to the rendezvous site to collar them. Marigold is still alive and well at 9 years old, but is declining and has not taken a new mate. We collar Orchid and Comfrey after all three wolves are sedated and we leave to let then rest.
-Despite our anxieties, Marigold does wake up, meaning the sedatives didn't threaten her life.
-At the end of April, Comfrey and Orchid disperse, and a few days later, Marigold dies of old age

We will be picking between either Comfrey or Orchid to continue the meadow pack legacy, as the other litters have likely started their own packs by now or have perished.

OOC note: and that's a wrap for Fireweed! I'm gonna take a break from logging stuff for now so i can come up with a better method of doing so, but Fireweed's legacy will continue on behind the scenes in the older litters. During the story break i will be updating images and reformatting the main thread so make way to the new breeding pair. Thanks for following along everyone, and i hope to be back relatively soon! Rest well, Fireweed and Marigold...

Note: anything after Fireweed's death is made up, of course, just to explain what happened to the pups and Marigold
|•——————)(——————•|
Are we just beginning?
|•——————)(——————•|
(`°.(°._+_.°).°`)
(`°.(°._+_.°).°`)