Hunting for the Hardcore

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, paperpaws, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Hunting for the Hardcore

Post by loboLoco » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:16 pm

[youtube]wLAY8q2c-yw[/youtube]
Video link: https://youtu.be/wLAY8q2c-yw

WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition will offer three difficulty levels, which we hope will make the game fun and engaging for a wide range of players. Today we look at how we’re crafting the hardest difficulty level. Most of this work has been done by our summer intern George, who is a college student (majoring in computer science), competitive Counterstrike player, and coincidentally, my son. So he’s how he tackled it:
When I first started designing the Accurate difficulty, I had two primary goals. The first was to create a difficulty that increased the challenge of the game, without turning hunts into lengthy, boring slugging matches where player skill is secondary to simple time spent on the hunt. The second was to try and replicate the success rates of real wolves in the wild.

The core changes that make Accurate different from other difficulties reside in the multipliers Player Damage Dealt and Player Damage Taken. As a reference point, for the Challenging difficulty, the default difficulty of the game, these numbers are both set at 1. On Accurate, Player Damage Dealt is set to 1.5, meaning the player deals one and a half times as much damage to prey, and Player Damage Taken is set to 2.7, meaning the player takes more than two and a half times as much damage from prey on Accurate than on Challenging.

Those are some big changes, and they make Accurate feel like a very different game. Hunts tend to be shorter but require more caution and active thought. Even the most skilled players won’t succeed on every hunt. Knowing when to give up the chase is crucial, otherwise your wolf might not survive the harsh wilderness of Yellowstone.

Accurate is not for the faint of heart and is by no means necessary to enjoy WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition to the fullest. The game is designed to be engaging and well-rounded on Challenging, which offers a test of skill without being overly punishing, and there will also be an Easy difficulty, for those who want a more relaxed experience. But for the bravest souls, Accurate offers our most realistic, most difficult representation of the life of a wild wolf.

We are releasing the first episode, Amethyst Mountain for PC/Mac on Steam and itch.io, as Early Access on July 25. That will be followed by multiplayer and Slough Creek some months later, then followed by the mobile versions. We’ll then resume development of the next episode, Tower Fall.

WolfQuest 3 will be a free update to players who own WolfQuest 2.7.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

katlove
Pup
Pup
Name: Grace\Copper

Re: Hunting for the Hardcore

Post by katlove » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:35 pm

Difficulty levels: easy, challenging, and accurate. Very funny! One question, how hard would it be to take down a bull elk? Looking good WQ team!

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:36 pm

Wow. The new "Accurate" difficulty looks epic! The ability for both your wolf and the elk to do more damage is a great way to encourage players to think strategically and to really think like a wolf. The final battle where George was trying to bring down the calf while trying to avoid the mother's kicks was really intense, it honestly felt more like a boss battle than simply being on a hunt, which suits a more realistic experience quite well. The elk doing more damage also helps to create a more risky and realistic feeling.

aftherion
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Commander Aftherion

Post by aftherion » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:41 pm

Looks great! Can't wait for July 25th :wolf:

Starbender2000
Pup
Pup

Post by Starbender2000 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:44 pm

Oh...just wow. This is amazing I love the new game-mode, it has the perfect name "Accurate" for how close it is to actual wolf would behave in a hunt, or need to behave. This is just next level stuff! Nice going! :D

-StarBender2000 :wolf:

P.S. Anyone else counting the ticks of the clock? :lol: so excited for Wolfquest's release of the very first episode, Amethyst mountain! xD

YellowstoneWolves1
Pup
Pup
Name: Snake

Post by YellowstoneWolves1 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:50 pm

This was real fascinating to see! George did really well, even if he almost pushed it too far again. Now this was what I was expecting the mother elk to do, sort of stay between the predator and her calf. But as you said they don't always do this, but it was really nice to see what it looks like when she DOES turn. Two weeks away everyone! :wolf:

Allikat10011
Pup
Pup
Name: Allikat

Post by Allikat10011 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:43 pm

Wow your son is really good at playing the game lol, also hes very lucky!

LamarWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by LamarWolf » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:04 pm

The game looks really good. The accurate difficulty level seems really fun but difficult. The wolf fights must be especially dangerous. I'd love to play the accurate difficulty on iron wolf, then pulling out of the hunt on time is really a matter of life or death.

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Post by elkhunter123456 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:06 pm

Did anyone else see that bear run in the distance when George was hunting? Makes me wonder if its going to eat the elk that George killed. XD I love the new "accurate" mode as now the damage dealing is a lot more accurate and the hunt is more risky/fun. I also love how the prey/competitors will now charge at you instead of waiting for your wolf to come in hooves/paw/bite range.
Awesome video!

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Call me Tsuri!

Post by Phasoli » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:59 pm

I’m loving all the stakes at play here! The amount of thought put into the highest difficulty level is amazing. Hunts are now that much more thrilling, realistic, and versatile! Can’t wait to jump in and play Ironwolf on Accurate, haha.

By the way, that pelt is beautiful.

BlackMetal
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Avenger

Post by BlackMetal » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:46 am

I will probably just choose the difficulty level "Easy". XD
Fun aside, it's really amazing how much the game has evolved. I'm really looking forward to finally playing it.

SamueWolfSword
Pup
Pup
Name: Samue

Post by SamueWolfSword » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:52 pm

I think different players have different levels of skill, so maybe it wouldn`t quite reflect the odds of successful hunts (for individual players, at least), however I`d think that wolves would also have different levels of skill, so it must still be accurate.

I like that you sleep now to restore health and that there`s an accurate difficulty.

Return to “WolfQuest 3 and Tower Fall Developer's Blog”