Early Access Release Date

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Early Access Release Date

Post by loboLoco » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:55 pm

[youtube]Zl2qW7-oF3U[/youtube]
Video link: https://youtu.be/Zl2qW7-oF3U

We’re still cranking away on the game, and while there are days when the bug list doesn’t seem to get any shorter, we are definitely making great progress. In fact, we’ve finally reached the point where we are confident enough of the game state to announce — yes, believe it or not, a release date for the PC/Mac version! And that date is next month, July 25th. On that day (a Thursday, conveniently), WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition will be available as an Early Access game on Steam and WolfQuest.org and itch.io. If you’ve purchased the game on any of those stores, you’ll be able to download it for free, as a new app that will live alongside WolfQuest 2.7 on your computer.

___Will WQ3 be available on mobile?
WolfQuest is available for Mac, Windows, iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle. So yes, WolfQuest 3 will be available for mobile phones and tablets...at least some of them, and/or in some form. Bigger maps and more animals may be too much for mobile devices with limited RAM memory. We'll do our best, but some low-end mobile devices will not be powerful enough to run the game. We will keep WolfQuest 2.7 (the current game) available as well (for both computers and mobile).

___Will my computer be able to run WQ3?
For the PC/Mac version, we want to ensure that a wide range of computers can run WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition. We are adding more quality levels so we can boost the visual quality much further than it is now, but we will do our very best to make the game run decently on older computers. However, since we are adding so much to the game (bigger maps, better graphics, more animals), we can’t yet say how well we can attain this goal. We'll do our best, but some low-end devices will not be powerful enough to run the game. We will keep WolfQuest 2.7 (the current game) available as well (for both computers and mobile).
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Early Access Release Date

Post by elkhunter123456 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:14 pm

I'm glad there is finally a release date! Waiting 1 month and 5 days does not bother me at all! But why was loboloco/Dave laughing at the end? :) :wolf:

YellowstoneWolves1
Pup
Pup
Name: Snake

Post by YellowstoneWolves1 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:16 pm

No way! No way is this happening! I am so excited! Our wait is almost over everyone! Hallelujah!

Sorry, a little overly excited. Definitely wasn't expecting this. I'm not quite understanding about the downloads, but word-phrasing is a tricky business anyway. So I am going to ask, if we already have 2.7, will we be able to go onto steam and just download 3 and it'll be like two separate modes? Or is 3 an official update and we'll lose 2.7? I wanna make sure I have it right since, as I said, word-phrasing is a tricky business and it can get confusing.

SophieTheAiredale
Pup
Pup
Name: Sophie | She/they

Post by SophieTheAiredale » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:20 pm

Wow! It's so nice to have a release date! I can't tell you how excited I was when I saw the title! This game should be great!

Wolf of Moonlight
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Wolf of Moonlight » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:20 pm

I'm so happy to finally have a release date... It makes the waiting a little bit easier \<(^-^)>/
But I have a question... Multiplayer won't be available at release, right?
Last edited by Wolf of Moonlight on Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:24 pm

YellowstoneWolves1 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:16 pm
I'm not quite understanding about the downloads, but word-phrasing is a tricky business anyway. So I am going to ask, if we already have 2.7, will we be able to go onto steam and just download 3 and it'll be like two separate modes? Or is 3 an official update and we'll lose 2.7? I wanna make sure I have it right since, as I said, word-phrasing is a tricky business and it can get confusing.
3.0 will be a standalone release that will continue to coexist alongside 2.7. The updated game will not replace the older game at all.

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:31 pm

Oh my gosh! This, this is what we've all been waiting for! This announcement came unexpectedly and much sooner than I thought it would, though my assumption for the release date wasn't far off! I thought the earliest that the new version would come out was August, and I had ambitiously thought that it might be released on August 4th, the two year anniversary of WolfQuest 3's announcement (has it seriously almost been two years?). Luckily, I was pleasantly surprised! I had been watching another YouTube video when I got the notification that WolfQuest had uploaded, and the gasp of shock I made when I saw the title was so loud that my mother came upstairs to check on me. I immediately dropped everything to watch it! It's been such a wonderful journey from where we started nearly two years ago. After watching this video, the song "Celebration" by Kool and The Gang immediately came to mind, and this announcement certainly warrants a celebration. It's so great to see the game I have waited for over the past two years finally coming to fruition, and while at times it felt like the game was never going to come out, it is finally almost here. The launching of a new WolfQuest website sounds interesting, though I wonder how that will affect the forum. I still haven't checked out the new Steam page, but I'm sure that will be fun to check out. I've said it before, but I truly think that this new version will bring WolfQuest into a new golden age, and will finally fulfill the goals set from the game's beginning: to realistically depict the life of a wolf while acting as an educational way to have some fun. Thank you to the team for all your support and for caring about your fanbase as much as you do, it warms my heart to see a development team that cares about their game and its fans so much that they post weekly development blogs every week for fans to enjoy. You guys are truly the best, and I can't wait to play the new game once I can get my hands on it!

YellowstoneWolves1
Pup
Pup
Name: Snake

Post by YellowstoneWolves1 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:47 pm

Neamara wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:24 pm
YellowstoneWolves1 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:16 pm
I'm not quite understanding about the downloads, but word-phrasing is a tricky business anyway. So I am going to ask, if we already have 2.7, will we be able to go onto steam and just download 3 and it'll be like two separate modes? Or is 3 an official update and we'll lose 2.7? I wanna make sure I have it right since, as I said, word-phrasing is a tricky business and it can get confusing.
3.0 will be a standalone release that will continue to coexist alongside 2.7. The updated game will not replace the older game at all.

Ah okay. I think I understand now. Thank you Neamara!

Moonstar05
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Moonstar05 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:38 pm

I am really excited for it to release! I remember when it just started! :wolf:

poncho0287
Pup
Pup

Post by poncho0287 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:49 pm

Yes!!! I'm so hyper. But why was LoboLoco/Dave was laughing at the end? I wanna know why.

Wolfybird99
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Wolfybird99 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:36 pm

Yay! The release date! I have been following this amazing project since it was announced two years ago! I'm afraid once I start playing the early access when it comes out, I won't be able to stop! The new stuff is all so outstandingly beautiful, and I'm in love with all the amazing and realistic flora and fauna put into the game! (I especially love the super cute foxes!!!) I can't wait to explore this amazing new map myself this July!

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:40 pm

I am beyond excited for the official release of the new game. Ahh, and it’s coming so soon! Oh, but that nervous laughter at the end, haha. What a truly dedicated team you all are! And this community—ever so patient and understanding.

Has it really been two years? What an adventure it’s been!

watergoat
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by watergoat » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:19 pm

How much will it cost for those who have not bought 2.7 and are buting WQ 3? :wolf:

Heyoka777
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Heyoka777 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:57 am

I'm soo excited for WolfQuest 3! I just checked out your new and improved web page on steam for the anniversary addition and I must say, I love what I see! (expecially that one not-so-hidden surprise on the page) WolfQuest 3 is going to be awesome! :D

Zawki

Post by Zawki » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:23 am

This is great news! The camera mode makes me think that, once early access has been released, it could be fun to have a screenshot competition with the winning pictures being featured on the new website.