Hare Today, Gone Tomorrow

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Hare Today, Gone Tomorrow

Post by loboLoco » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:29 pm

[youtube]AYZf6sg9En8[/youtube]
Video link: https://youtu.be/AYZf6sg9En8

We’ve finally finished building and (mostly) refining all the game systems for WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition, so we’re now expanding beyond the core animals that we’ve focused on so far (wolf, elk, coyote) and adding all the other animals that will be in the game. Let’s look at the lowly Snowshoe Hare. We have a new, improved model for it, and today’s video looks at how we set it up in the game as a functioning animal in our ecosystem simulation. We’ll use this same structure for all the animals, as we create custom AI for each one.

Facts about Snowshoe Hares
Snowshoe Hares (Lepus americanus) are common in many Yellowstone habitats. They are known for their large snowshoe feet and their changing camouflage: brown in the summer and white in the winter. Hares eat plants and prefer to hide in forest underbrush. In real life, hares are very fast and agile, making them hard to catch. A hare would only provide a wolf with a light snack for a lot of work, so are not a main food source for wolves. However, lynx, bobcats, coyotes, foxes, weasels, some hawks, and great horned owls also hunt hares. Good thing hares have lots and lots of babies! In the game, hares offer frequent hunting challenges -- and in WolfQuest 3, you'll be able to carry a dead hare around and eat it wherever you please.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Itschi
Pup
Pup

Re: Hare Today, Gone Tomorrow

Post by Itschi » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:01 pm

Oh I love the hare!
The new models look so great :D

DispersedHowl100
Pup
Pup
Name: Frost

Post by DispersedHowl100 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:02 pm

WOW! The models look so real!!! The snowshoe hares will be so cool! An also do you think there would multible in one area? And on the top right I see it says "Adult Hare" Does that mean there will be baby hares in the Wolf Quest3!?! :P Well anyway this looks great cant wait to play it and can we see the bighorn sheep in action soon? :squirrel: This is the closest I can get to a hare.

Nor-easter Forecast

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:17 pm

The hares look amazing... but the hair on the wolf is even more amazing! Is this the replacement for the original black coat, or merely an upgrade for an exsisting one? Either way, I know my wolf will be wearing the hare hair.

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:18 pm

The snowshoe hare looks amazing (not to mention, adorable!). I thought it was very realistic you added a "random panic" wire installed in their heads XD And the fact you can pick up and move around hares is just... happyyyyy
Also, what happens if you put down a hare in the water? ...And it still disappears into the ground when you eat it XD
I'm so happy that the beginning part made it sound like you were done with (most) the animals. Makes me wonder if WQ3 will be released tomorrow (aha I'm kidding!)
So overall, this made me very happy to watch, and thank you for sharing, Dave! Keep it up, WQ Team!!!

poncho0287
Pup
Pup

Post by poncho0287 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:03 pm

It's so cute. I love the new Snowshoe Hares.

MysteryFoxSpirt
Pup
Pup
Name: Mystery

Post by MysteryFoxSpirt » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:18 pm

Awesome! New hares! Question. Will there be a eat and a carry button for mobile? What are the controls for both mobile and computer? And also...
DispersedHowl100 wrote:And on the top right I see it says "Adult Hare" Does that mean there will be baby hares in the Wolf Quest3!?! :P Well anyway this looks great cant wait to play it and can we see the bighorn sheep in action soon?
I would like it if the next few videos talk about the new prey! Like bighorn sheep, and baby prey! I was wondering about when a video about baby prey would come out. Hope it's soon! Keep up the great work! :wolf:

YellowstoneWolves1
Pup
Pup
Name: Snake

Post by YellowstoneWolves1 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:22 pm

The new rabbit models are so adorable, fluffy, and realistic! I don't think I'll WANT to hunt them in the new game. I love how you made the rabbit zig-zag when it panics, and I like the wolf shaking it's head as it kills it, the animation's nice too. I wonder what key we will use to pick up things like rabbits and pieces of meat? Oh well, I'll find out sooner or later. Very nice, very nice.

LamarWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by LamarWolf » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:59 pm

That looks really good. One question, will the hares go through a phase in the game where they a partially white and brown. Keep up the good work.

SamueWolfSword
Pup
Pup
Name: Samue

Post by SamueWolfSword » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:33 am

The moment I saw the new hares I thought the older ones looked better. But now I have changed my mind and think they look really cool! They look like puffballs and seem to have more refined animations. Oh, and I think I just saw one of them blink... ...And it looks like they blend in with the grass. Too bad for the hares, though, that their location can be sniffed out.
I think that maybe the scent trails appear to be easier to see than in the past. I also like the colors of the environment- how everything has a muddy feel to it. Furthermore, it`s cool that the terrain has variations to it: one part can be covered in vegetation while another part just has dirt.

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:14 am

Nor-easter Forecast wrote:The hares look amazing... but the hair on the wolf is even more amazing! Is this the replacement for the original black coat, or merely an upgrade for an exsisting one? Either way, I know my wolf will be wearing the hare hair.
I could be wrong, but I believe that that coat is actually a preexisting new pelt from 2.7. Either way, I agree! It looks so beautiful on that model, and the new hares are impressive too. They're so cute! Hunting them will be so interesting now. I love how they scatter in zig-zags rather than running away in a straight, curved motions. I can't wait for the release of the new game. So excited!

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:56 am

The hares look amazing, Dave! I love them.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:52 pm

Adorable little guys - can't wait to eat them! :D

Siblaime
Pup
Pup

Post by Siblaime » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:56 am

Hah, yes, still disappearing into the ground when eaten XD
I love the new models anyway, they are just like real animals: blended into the grass, running and hopping around much more realistically and looking better overall. Good job ^^

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:53 am

LamarWolf wrote:will the hares go through a phase in the game where they a partially white and brown.
Yes, we have three coats, for the different seasons. The video shows the fall coat.
MysteryFoxSpirt wrote: Will there be a eat and a carry button for mobile?
It'll be the same: Single-click/tap to eat, double to pick up.

Nor-easter Forecast wrote:the hair on the wolf is even more amazing! Is this the replacement for the original black coat, or merely an upgrade for an exsisting one?
This is one of the 2.7 coats, untouched -- just looks better with the new fur shader!
DispersedHowl100 wrote:on the top right I see it says "Adult Hare" Does that mean there will be baby hares in the Wolf Quest3!?!
That's actually our Species ID -- gotta switch that to show the proper name "Snowshoe Hare". And babies...well, they'd be pretty small! But maybe someday. (Though I think we'd rather make juveniles for all the other species first.)
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer