Play That Wolfy Music

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Play That Wolfy Music

Post by loboLoco » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:48 pm

[youtube]_p0qhCDJyao[/youtube]
Video link: https://youtu.be/_p0qhCDJyao

Our composer Tim Buzza has been working hard on new music themes for WolfQuest 3, so today we’ll look at how we take his original tracks and set them up in the game with our new adaptive music system. “Adaptive music” means that the music changes dynamically based on what’s happening in the game. More in this blog post from early 2017: Tune Up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j0PT4EerQA

We’re using a plugin called Master Audio to handle music layering and playback, so our developer Andrei has created the logic that watches what’s happening in the game and triggers musical themes and layers based on the gameplay from moment to moment.

I’ll let Andrei describe how he does this:
With our music system, we want the music to follow the game action. The game has different musical moments and each moment has its own sets of tracks (recorded by Tim) and sets of rules defining which tracks should be played (defined by Dave). This particular moment is called Elk Showdown, when the Elk decides to fight back the Wolf (and it has its reasons to do that :).

Dave set specific rules to begin and end each moment. In this case, the game enters the Elk Showdown moment when the Elk intention to fight back is detected from its AI system.

While the game is inside this musical moment, I am constantly checking the variables that matter for this set of rules, which represent different actions inside the game. When one of these rules is met, I switch the tracks to match the game action.

For example: when the Wolf is moving or idle, the music will match that. When it approaches the Elk, the music matches that too.

The game variables I check come from different game systems, mostly already created by Tommi. For the Showdown music, we are basically checking distances (Wolf to Elk and mate, if present, to Elk), activity level (idle or moving), damage (done and taken) and the Elk AI.

This new music system is another part of the game update built from the gathering of different people’s efforts.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

LamarWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Play That Wolfy Music

Post by LamarWolf » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:06 pm

I think it looks great. There is one thing thought thats a little weird, and that is if your idle around an elk than it plays the music without the guitar but if you start moving it starts all up again.

DispersedHowl100
Pup
Pup
Name: Frost

Post by DispersedHowl100 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:08 pm

This sounds great! I love all the music in Wolf Quest! But, will we still have the old music? Of course it would be polished up and transition better, but I would really love the original music! The transition on the end scared me! XD :oops:

poncho0287
Pup
Pup

Post by poncho0287 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:18 pm

It's Pawesome I love the new music for the Elk Cow.

MysteryFoxSpirt
Pup
Pup
Name: Mystery

Post by MysteryFoxSpirt » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:21 pm

Wowie! Adaptive music! Wonder how other prey, like hares, moose, and Mule deer, will work. And predators will work too with the adaptive music!

Can't wait, love these update videos! :wolf:

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:27 pm

@DispersedHowl100: When the subject of adaptive music came up earlier in the year, Dave did state that they do intend to keep the original OST-
loboLoco wrote:We’re going to use this method for a number of new tracks, as well as for tracks from earlier versions, to freshen them up while keeping the classic WolfQuest feel.
Source: Tune Up

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:13 pm

I love it! Adaptive music systems really amp up the intensity and action of a game, I'm definitely looking forward to this feature! I personally already adore the music in WolfQuest so I'm pretty eager to hear more. The hunting system just keeps getting better and better too.

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:13 pm

DIS IS AMAZING!!!
Play dat wolfy moosic! >:3
I also really liked watching the elk and the wolf... realized its fur changed in the middle of it all, from the ol'tawny coat to the bluish white. I really like how you have to circle the elk to avoid getting kicked, it's really realistic and raises the tension! (A thriller of a hunt is what I'm desperate for X3)
So overall, this made me super happy to watch RRGH I WANT A RELEASE DATE XD *Neamara kills a kitten* :|

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:12 pm

MysteryFoxSpirt wrote:Wowie! Adaptive music! Wonder how other prey, like hares, moose, and Mule deer, will work. And predators will work too with the adaptive music!
We're thinking of using the old Hunt music (with some new variations) for non-elk ungulate prey.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:47 pm

Wow! This is some cool stuff! I've never been much for the music until Lost River (I'm in love with the harmonica). With this new system in mind, I might have to turn up those new beats!