Our Douglas-firs are Tree-mendous

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Re: Our Douglas-firs are Tree-mendous

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:37 pm

I can't beleaf how wonderful these trees look. :)

Kereudio
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Maya

Post by Kereudio » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:13 pm

SolitaryHowl wrote:I can't beleaf how wonderful these trees look. :)
Oaky, you two, just calm down with the puns.

But seriously, these look incredible! One of my favorite things about open world games like Skyrim and Subnautica have always been the environments, so I'm very excited to see this large of an improvement coming to Wolfquest!

poncho0287
Pup
Pup

Post by poncho0287 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:05 pm

The new trees are beautiful.

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:17 pm

Aaah I feel like i'm always unreasonably excited for the terrain and foliage videos. They're seriously my favourite updates (and honestly I could listen to Dave talk about vegetation for hours).

As everyone has said, they tree models are seriously beautiful! I was amazed by the level of detail with the lighting. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how the understory vegetation looks as well. The environment is shaping up so beautifully!

Itschi
Pup
Pup

Post by Itschi » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:52 am

Wow, that does not even look like a game. I never saw such realistic trees. :D

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:38 am

These look very treealistic.

I love exploration in games such as WolfQuest, and all the improvements made to the foliage, terrain, and maps will make that all the more enjoyable. I'm very ready for the ten-year culture shock WQ3 is bound to give me at this rate.

xStag
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Aki

Post by xStag » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:55 am

Exciting stuff!
Last edited by paperpaws on Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: please note that posts under three words can be considered SPAM - try to keep it more substantial in the future.

SnowSprite
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by SnowSprite » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:57 am

Unbeleafable, fir a second there I thought the models you were showing us were the real thing! Updating everything in the game may not be the shortest root to take, but in the log run this game is guaran-treed to be an absolute tree-umph, and elm sure it's gonna be poplar. I'll be rooting for yew guys every step of the way! These b-log posts have left me pine-ing for more!
Sorry.
Also, more camera controls? That's great! Now I can actually look at the sky without having to find steep land to stand on :-)

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:14 am

SnowSprite wrote:Unbeleafable, fir a second there I thought the models you were showing us were the real thing! Updating everything in the game may not be the shortest root to take, but in the log run this game is guaran-treed to be an absolute tree-umph, and elm sure it's gonna be poplar. I'll be rooting for yew guys every step of the way! These b-log posts have left me pine-ing for more!
Sorry.
I think you win at the pun game, haha

And yep! There will be a whole new control and camera system for the new game. :)

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:19 pm

They're beautiful; they look real! Also, I liked the bit of real Yellowstone that was included in the vid. I'd love to be able to take a trip there some day, it's beautiful.

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:12 am

These new trees are astounding, they look pretty realistic, which is making me even more excited to run around in game!

DawnWings
Pup
Pup

Post by DawnWings » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:04 pm

I don't know if the team normally factors in requests when deciding what to show us each week, but if you do, can you show us a video with the trees, grass, terrain, cliffs and lighting effects all enabled sometime? I don't mean making the whole entire video about just that since we've already seen all of these separately, but maybe have them switched on in the video instead of the placeholder low quality bare ground you sometimes have switched on when showing us something? I'm just really excited to see what the finalized/close to finalized environment looks like with all of the individual pieces put together like that.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:02 am

Weylenn wrote:Are there any plans for god rays or any sort of volumetric lighting?
The lighting system we're using does have volumetric lighting and god rays, but I turned down the latter some for this video -- god rays have gotten to be a bit of a cliche in games lately, and there isn't that much dust or humidity in these forests.

SnowSprite wrote:Also, more camera controls?
Yes, we've got something more like the Witcher controls now, so you can right-click to orbit the camera easily.

DawnWings wrote:can you show us a video with the trees, grass, terrain, cliffs and lighting effects all enabled sometime?
We're getting there. A lot of this stuff is still in pieces, partly waiting for more vegetation models, partly waiting for some tools to get a bit more mature. But all that should be coming together in the next month.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Wolvesarelife994
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Wolvesarelife994 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:42 am

Can’t wait for a video with all the texturing fixes you guys did to get the beautiful new view of WolfQuest! Like the new trees, the grass, the cliffs and the new terrain! I wanna see them all together with the elk herds roaming ! To much to ask. Sorry :D :ferret:

- Post Merge -

Also, I was watching videos on YouTube about WolfQuest and I thought of this:
Why are there only calves and female elk in the herds? Where are the bull elk and the teenager bull elk
:moose:
Last edited by Isela on Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double post. Please refrain from double posting. Edit your first post if no one has posted after you :]

Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Noctis_ » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:43 pm

I was not expecting to be more awestruck by the trees (of all things) than by the actual wolf models. Maybe it's because I tend to appreciate beautiful environments in games a little more than the average gamer. I'm going to end up starving/dehydrating my wolf by spending all of my time orbiting my camera around(!) and admiring the scenery, lol.