How to Bite an Elk

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: How to Bite an Elk

Post by Koa » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:55 pm

Thanks for being so persistent with this, Dave! It looks like it’s coming along nicely.

ForeverEverest
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Everest/Evie

Post by ForeverEverest » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:34 am

These new hunting mechanics are looking great! I also couldn't help but notice how good the wolf model looked, those fur effects look amazing up close.

Silverheart98
Pup
Pup
Name: Silver Sparrow
Location: I'll roam with the wolves, stalk the deer and rest in my den~

Post by Silverheart98 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:06 am

Awesome work! I had been waiting so long to see when you finally get the biting work and reveal it to us! And I can see that after all that struggle you must have gone through this looks like it was worth it! Just like real wolves, the wolf quest wolves apparently had to gone long way to learn how to hunt elk without it turning out..weird xD

The video made me laugh, gasp in surprise and laugh again! All the laughing for the bugs and gasp of surprise when I saw the actual biting haha! x3 Although I believe that it must have been frustrating at the end to keep on trying to make it work!

Anyway, keep up the great job! I am at least very okay with waiting, I want to see this game as the best you can make it and I know that things like these take time!

PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Meg

Post by PearlyReborn » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:07 am

After seeing all the trouble you had with the IK rig it's awesome to see it paying off! Good job, I can't wait to play.

Allikat10011
Pup
Pup
Name: Allikat

Post by Allikat10011 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:24 am

Interesting to see how the wolf hangs onto the elk from the front. I would of always assumed that hanging off the neck of the elk, leaving the soft belly of the wolf exposed to the kicks from the elk's front legs, would be dangerous for the wolf. You learn something new everyday!

Kereudio
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Maya

Post by Kereudio » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:10 am

i am absolutely in awe of these new animations, im especially fond of the run cycle! something about the old one always struck me as kinda "off" for some reason, but i don't get that from this one. keep up the great work ya'll!

Nuntayak
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Nuntayak » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Haha, this is fantastic! So excited for this addition.

D0m
Name: Dominik

Post by D0m » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:32 am

these new animations look absolutely wonderful! it's great to see all your hard work paying off.

the bloopers are also absolute gold, ahah.

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:09 pm

Oh my. Wow. XD
The X's were hilarious, but the ending blooper of the running wolves.. it was... morbid...
I'm excited to see new biting/running animations! Will your stamina run out as quickly as it does in 2.7, when you grab onto the elk/bite it in general/any 'large' animal? And wow, it must be annoying to fix a bug and then that path creates a new bug XD
This game is looking awesome, Dave! Good luck with WQ3, Team!

PEACHYBAB
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by PEACHYBAB » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:07 pm

Can't wait! Love how you're taking time to develop and correct the game to be more what real wolves struggle with in their day-to-day. I personally love the accurate approach.
So ready for this to come out but take as much time as you need!
Much love WQ game developers!

Zoopal55
Pup
Pup

Post by Zoopal55 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:17 pm

Lol so funny. One concern I would like the wolf team to keep in mind is a continuing problem at the moment. Takes for ever to kill the elk, and by the time you do, your pups die....Well that was pointless. Just something to keep in mind. I love the realism of this, and the new ways to bite and bring down the elk, but don't make it to hard to catch, understand that realism is awesome but if it makes the game to unbearably hard to play, it frustrates the players. I love the fact that we can bite the neck and legs like a real wolf though! XD

-StarBender2000 :wolf:

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:16 pm

Starbender2000 wrote:Lol so funny. One concern I would like the wolf team to keep in mind is a continuing problem at the moment. Takes for ever to kill the elk, and by the time you do, your pups die....Well that was pointless. Just something to keep in mind. I love the realism of this, and the new ways to bite and bring down the elk, but don't make it to hard to catch, understand that realism is awesome but if it makes the game to unbearably hard to play, it frustrates the players. I love the fact that we can bite the neck and legs like a real wolf though! XD

-StarBender2000 :wolf:

Having different difficulty settings for the game should mostly help to curb this problem. I imagine elk will be less challenging on the lower settings, and more carcasses will be available.

I'd definitely recommending hunting and having multiple carcasses at the ready prior to having your pups in the game. It helps a lot and removes the frustration of having to hunt without worrying about your pups starving :)

WolfDragonPlasma
Pup
Pup

Post by WolfDragonPlasma » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:01 pm

As somebody who has had first-hand experience animating with and building IK systems, I can tell you I understand your pain and admire your persistence in getting it right. If it were me doing this, I'd have given it up for lost way before ever seeing what the final product would look like XD So, good on you for making it this far and I hope it doesn't give you too much trouble as you work to fine-tune it XD

wolfie22654
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: wolfie

Post by wolfie22654 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:41 pm

OMG! this looks amazing. A friend and i where talking about how happy we are that the WQ team listens to the community and how this game is going to get even better than it is now, and my i just say we can't wait for the game to be done :D

Menna Mohsen
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Menna Mohsen » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:38 am

But I do not know how to place a wolf focus on a certain area How ?