Growlin' Grizzly

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Growlin' Grizzly

Post by loboLoco » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:33 pm

[youtube]wQEMwSOFU9o[/youtube]
Video link:

As Yellowstone’s biggest carnivore, grizzly bears deserve an upgrade in WolfQuest 3, so here’s our new griz, hanging out at a carcass. As in the old game, you’ll want to be careful around grizzlies. They like to dine on carcasses and are quite effective at taking carcasses (or whatever they want) from wolves. Even a big pack of wolves knows better than to take one on. But we are creating more interesting AI for the grizzlies, and depending on its hunger and your own patience and tactics, you might be able to claim a carcass from a grizzly. And stay tuned — we’ll have more about grizzlies in future devblogs!

Quick Facts About Grizzly Bears
• POPULATION: About 150 grizzly bears (Ursus arctos horribilis) live in Yellowstone. They are generally solitary and avoid conflict except when obtaining food or protecting offspring.
• SIZE: Females weigh 130-180 kg (300-400 lb), males 180-650 kg (400-800 lb).

• TOP SPEED: 64 kph (40 mph) — which makes them just a bit faster than wolves. 

• DIET: Generalist omnivores. They eat rodents and other small mammals, insects, ungulates (especially young), fish, roots, pine nuts, and grasses. Grizzlies often scavenge wolf-killed carcasses. 

Our bear is another great animal model from our partner, GIM, in Slovakia. This video also offers a preview of another new track by our composer Tim Buzza. We haven’t actually decided yet if this is the grizzly theme or better suited for something else in the game, but I love it so much that I wanted to share it here.

This week Tommi finished coding the genetics and other aspects of wolf identity, Andrei finished building the new wolf customizer, Zach made more progress with core multiplayer functionality, and Susan researched and collected animal sound effects, including the new grizzly vocalizations in this video. I worked on…well, more rocks as well as some game mechanic designs and a few other things we aren’t ready to share yet. We are, unfortunately, still a long way from release. Tommi said “There must be some kind of a rule that says ‘Twice the quality, ten times the work’.” Susan said this post should be titled “Bear with Us” and I was tempted by “Pokey the Bear.” But we’re making progress, slow and steady.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Jeames
Name: Jeames, Jea

Re: Growlin' Grizzly

Post by Jeames » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:34 pm

The new model is amazing!
I love the new poses! And those clawsssss! Ahhhhhh!

Silverheart98
Pup
Pup
Name: Silver Sparrow
Location: I'll roam with the wolves, stalk the deer and rest in my den~

Post by Silverheart98 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:47 pm

Awesome!! The bear looks amazingg! So much more realistic! x3 Just wonderful work once again! Glad to hear and see about the work you are doing, It must still be a long way, but at the end it will be more than worth it c:

Gotta love this 'teddy' bear you made! xD

wolf_whisperer98
Pup
Pup
Name: Silver

Post by wolf_whisperer98 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:50 pm

:wolf: By all means, take your time. Slow and steady wins the race! As for the bear, I must say that that is one animal I would not want to cross paths with in the new update. Definitely seems more ferocious and fierce; all the more reason to get excited! Thanks for keeping us posted Dave! :) :wolf:

PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Meg

Post by PearlyReborn » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:02 pm

The music is awesome, I love the new animations (especially the sitting and paw-licking), and the new noises... I'm so excited!

Gillato
Pup
Pup
Name: Vigilante'

Post by Gillato » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:04 pm

I Agree with wolf'' i would not want to mess with that bear, And the new danger music sent chill's down my spine!!

Good Job Guy's keep it up. ~ Gillato :pawprint:

Black Burn
Name: BB for short

Post by Black Burn » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:07 pm

The music track is amazing! Makes you think if you really want to mess with that grizzly! And all the new movements the grizzly made were great! I can't wait to see this all put together! Keep up the awesome work WolfQuest Team!

Shiranuiii
Name: Shiranui

Post by Shiranuiii » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:13 pm

The model is gorgeous and the animations are adorable !!

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:45 pm

The new model looks and sounds beautiful, and I'm possibly even more excited about the new soundtrack. Tim Buzza did a fantastic job as always.

Polynesia
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Polynesia » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:18 pm

I love the music and the model! I hope the standing-up animation is reintroduced for the bear, I thought it was really intimidating in the previous WolfQuests. :)

Also, will the dodge jump be able to be used with grizzlies just as with prey?

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:36 pm

Polynesia wrote: I hope the standing-up animation is reintroduced for the bear...Also, will the dodge jump be able to be used with grizzlies just as with prey?
yes, the bear will stand up on its hind legs (that animation needed a bit more work still). And yes, you'll be able to dodge a bear's swipe.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:32 pm

I love everything about this. The model, the animations, the SFX, the music....

Speaking of which, this track has enough oomph for hunting something big. Not sure if it would be suitable for a bear - needs more drums for that.

Lebron BMT
Pup
Pup

Post by Lebron BMT » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:35 pm

This is great news. Will bears be able to kill us and us them? Wolfquest is so much more fun when you know there are animals out there that can and will kill you.

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:39 pm

That is so cool! I love the bear's sounds and the movements.. so smooth and realistic! Keep up the amazing work, Dave and the WQ Team!!!

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:15 pm

Bob looks amazing! Everything down to that lip shape bears have (not quite a pout but idk how else to describe it?) is perfect; it looks like a real bear!

And even if WQ3 has a while to go, all the progress is great, and it will be worth it!