Cliff Notes

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Cliff Notes

Post by loboLoco » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:33 pm

[youtube]cpUawoSEtaY[/youtube]
Video link:

This week, Tommi has been creating stranger wolf behaviors. Andrei has been setting up wolf customization. Susan has been researching secondary missions, and our new developer Zach has been working on multiplayer. And I’ve been a bit obsessed with rocks.

One reason for our trip to Yellowstone was to see rocks up close and personal since, strangely, those are not common subjects of photography in Yellowstone. (Hmm, what else could people be taking pictures of?) The cliffs of Amethyst are made of conglomerate rock (formed from mudflows mixed with gravel stream deposits), along with some sandstone and siltstone. To create these cliffs, our rock artist Omar has created a number of repurposable cliff models. I then experimented with several shaders (which determines how light reflects off objects in a 3D environment) to find the best way to create the cliffs for the game. Today’s video shows that process.

One reason to put this effort into the cliffs (besides being a good challenge) is because these cliffs are the domain of the bighorn sheep, which was the top vote-getter in our February blog poll for a new animal to add to the game. We’ve partnered with Games-in-Motion, a 3D art firm in Slovakia, for many of our new game animals, and they just delivered the bighorn model, which is just as handsome as the elk and mule deer which they made for us last year. We will share more about the bighorn when we get the whole family animated.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Echodextrous
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Echo

Re: Cliff Notes

Post by Echodextrous » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:39 pm

Wow! The cliffs are looking absolutely stunning! I am so excited to hunt Big Horn Sheep on and around them! This looks like its coming along amazingly, and I think its going to be well worth the wait. :D

Rhaena
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Quinn

Post by Rhaena » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:43 pm

Gorgeous; patiently waitin' the day an announcement for 3.0 will arrive, I'm thrilled to see the Bighorn getting a family.

EDIT: You mention that Tommi has been creating Stranger Wolf behaviours, will we get a video showcasing them once done? The same question applies to Susan researching the second mission.
Last edited by Rhaena on Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:52 pm

Interesting, I don't know much about rocks but the cliffs look lovely. Much better than before.

And I'm excited to hear Bighorn sheep won! That'll certainly add some prey variety.

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:54 pm

Those cliffs are absolutely beautiful! I really hope that my computer will be able to handle the new and improved graphics. The new models, new terrain--it's all so amazing! I'm always left wondering what more can possibly be done to enhance this game, and the devs always come back with something surprising.

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:31 pm

Everything looks beautiful! And I can't wait to see the bighorn model when it moves, it looks really nice so far!

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:01 pm

Ooooh, so cool! Good job on the rocks and everything else!

Hmm, bighorn sheep... wow... and cool! Amazing job!!

thirteen889184
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by thirteen889184 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:02 pm

Everything looks so amazing. I can't wait to see more, and for the game to be released! I'm so excited lol.

Black Burn
Name: BB for short

Post by Black Burn » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:20 pm

Amazing! I actually forgot today was a new update, so it was even more of a surprise!
The bighorn sheep looks great! I can't wait to learn how to hunt it in WolfQuest3! And the rocks looks so realistic!
Keep up the most awesome work ever WolfQuest team!

(And to tell the truth... I've been obsessed with rocks too lately..!)

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:46 pm

This rocks.

The textures look beautiful. Nice to see the much-desired bighorn sheep pop up as well. I'm really eager for the moment we will first get to explore WQ in its fancy, all-new coat.

(Side note; you've probably noticed this, but the audio has some issues. The music is a tad loud in comparison to the voiceover, and I think the voiceover is mainly or completely coming from the left speaker?)

wolf_whisperer98
Pup
Pup
Name: Silver

Post by wolf_whisperer98 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:20 pm

:wolf: Absolutely tranquil and mesmerizing! It looks as if I could reach out and feel the textures in itself. The team is doing an amazing job so far, and I can't wait to see my wolves running and navigating their way through the terrain, learning all that there is to learn with the new and improved maps! Keep up the good work! :) :wolf:

PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Meg

Post by PearlyReborn » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:58 am

I like how you have an artist specifically for rocks.

Anyway, the cliffs in the old game always bothered me (spiderwolf's domain... :P) so I'm glad they're getting an upgrade!

ForeverEverest
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Everest/Evie

Post by ForeverEverest » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:47 am

That cliff rock looked really good with the gravel. I know most people think rocks are boring, but I think they're pretty amazing. Just thinking about how long it took for them to form, and what they're made out of. I think those cliffs are looking great, and I'm sure I'll have fun exploring them someday.

howl-ite
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by howl-ite » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:28 am

cliffs are looking great guys, it’s nice to see how much attention to detail you put in.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:54 am

Anduril wrote:(Side note; you've probably noticed this, but the audio has some issues. The music is a tad loud in comparison to the voiceover, and I think the voiceover is mainly or completely coming from the left speaker?)
Yeah, I finally upgraded to Final Cut Pro X and it didn't handle the audio in quite the same way. Gotta pay more attention to that in the future.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer