Feeling Territorial

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Feeling Territorial

Post by paperpaws » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:57 am

Exciting news! I think this will add a great layer of immersion to the game, and I really love how you ended up addressing the whole territory marking issue. The map UI looks amazing, too.

The fact that you manage to find the time to update us weekly inbetween the immense progress you're making is greatly appreciated as well. <3

Silverheart98
Pup
Pup
Name: Silver Sparrow
Location: I'll roam with the wolves, stalk the deer and rest in my den~

Post by Silverheart98 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:29 am

This is soo cooll x3 I always wanted the territories to be bigger and it's cool that in new episode you atually might get in trouble by going on the territories if you meet strangers! In this version you don't really need to be scared to go to their territories in amethyst, and you can't even enter them in slough x'D But I am glad to hear that this will be changed! It sounds realy amazing, keep up the great work!

~Silver

Nomic
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Nomic

Post by Nomic » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:06 am

I am very excited for the next episode and huge update for wolfquest. I have been playing wolfquest for years and it has been a huge part of my life, it still is. It taught me to appreciate wolves even more than I already did. I now have a huuuge love for wolves. Anyway I love how this game gives me the ability to what I have always wanted, place my mind into the body of a wolf. Thanks once more for expanding this game I have always loved and giving it a second life, me and a lot of others really appreciate all the work you put into this and I can't say this enough. Thank you to give me and others an opportunity to realistically live the life of that of a wolf. It's by far the only wolf simulator to do this and it's the best game ever in my opinion. Reading all new information on the new game and seeing the weekly videos on youtube make me over the top excited for this new experience. The more realistic the game gets on real wolf behaviour and graphics, the more excited I get. Please keep the realism with any following updates, it is what makes this game different from others and I personally really love that. It gives people the opportunity to learn about wolves and appreciate them even more. Good job WQ team, you have all my support and I cannot wait for the release.

Love Nomic x

sophiaww
Pup
Pup

Post by sophiaww » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:40 am

Amazing!!! :o that's so cool and now we won't be able to go into wolf territories expecting only one wolf there standing there doing nothing! Keep up the good work WolfQuest :wolf:

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:45 am

Sambhur wrote:I really love these levels of depth you've been adding to the game. Can't wait to see it for myself!
Thanks!

Hey, everyone: Sambhur created our beautiful new WQ game icon - we love it so much, we couldn't wait to start showing it off, and it makes a great first frame for some of these videos.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Sambhur » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:52 am

loboLoco wrote:
Sambhur wrote:I really love these levels of depth you've been adding to the game. Can't wait to see it for myself!
Thanks!

Hey, everyone: Sambhur created our beautiful new WQ game icon - we love it so much, we couldn't wait to start showing it off, and it makes a great first frame for some of these videos.
I was surprised to see it already in a previous video, but I wasn't sure if I was allowed to be the first one to point it out hahaha. I hope everyone else likes it too! A lot of work went into it. :)

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:53 am

I always really appreciate these weekly updates - it's really nice to see how the game is coming along and each new update makes me excited for the release! Quite jealous of the beta testers who will get to try everything out, especially as, to me, it seems like a whole new game! :P

Otherwise, loving the depth being added and appreciate how hard you guys are working to reflect real wolf behaviour and dynamics.

Crazybeasy
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Crazybeasy » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:38 am

This game looks absolutely breathtaking. Adding territorial grounds for the new episode will make the game more immersing. You guys have dedicated so much time into creating this game, and is by far one of my favorites. I love the idea of pack territories change, making players need to strategize whether to go into territorial grounds for various reasons, including finding a mate or hunting, or stay away. I'm super excited for the game. Keep it up!

ViperBrains

Post by ViperBrains » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:35 pm

I was simply amazed by the map, its really strange saying its WQ.

I'm glad progress is coming along well!
loboLoco wrote:

Well done Sambhur! I thought it was gorgeous, it deserves to be noticed xP

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:54 pm

This should make things really interesting! Also, agreed; the new icon looks beautiful.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:45 am

Arcturus221B wrote:Question though: does this also mean sounds like howls and growls will become more localised? Currently you can hear both from across the map, but it would be nice if you can only hear growls, whines and the like when you're face-to-face, and howls from a greater distance. The volume of the howl could help you figure out how close you are to a pack's territory (or maybe the pack itself) or, in MP, another player.
Yes, we'll have a better setup for audio in WQ3, so howls carry a long ways and other vocalizations don't.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Meg

Post by PearlyReborn » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:07 am

Oh, this looks so awesome! The way territory worked always bugged me.

But don't expect strangers to prevent me from exploring the entire map! ;)

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:14 pm

loboLoco wrote:
Thanks!

That new icon is beautiful! You have a wonderful art-style, Sambhur! I really appreciate all of the icons that you've designed for the game. They're wonderful!

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:18 pm

This is cool: I love how territories will not be black and white anymore. :)

Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Noctis_ » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:05 pm

What caught my attention first is the new interface- it looks great, everything looks far more neat and polished than before. As for how territories work, I'm thrilled to hear they'll be much more complex in WQ 3, in order to appropriately reflect real wolf territories.

The only thing I don't particularly like is the hexagonal grid, it's not very pleasing to the eye; The lines around each hexagon stand out and really chop up the map. However, I do really like the opacity representing territory strength. Maybe instead, to appear more natural, territory is represented as a more fluid colored blob (with varying opacity) rather than a rigid shape? If this proves too time-consuming to program, what with territories varying each time you play and all, perhaps the lines on the grid could just be removed and the map underneath made a little easier to see.