Hungry (Sometimes) Like The Wolf

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

Lebron BMT
Pup
Pup

Re: Hungry (Sometimes) Like The Wolf

Post by Lebron BMT » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:17 pm

My only concern is how will this lack of energy affect our ability to fight off other predators/wolves.
Last edited by Lebron BMT on Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loach
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Jess

Post by Loach » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:57 pm

Shrinking the stamina bar is actually quite clever. I can't wait to see the changes to the health bar as well.

I'm a little worried of how we will defend pups if we're well fed in those situation, but I'm sure changes to that part of the game will reflect on the limitations. The changes so far are definitely 'spacing out' the time it'll take to do tasks in the game, so it makes sense that encounters with predators going for the pups won't be dogpiling on the territory the way they have been.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:50 am

I love this, such a good idea!

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:58 pm

This mechanism almost reminds me of how they deal with hunger in the game Saurian. They have a hunger bar in that game, but they also incorporate digestion, which affects when the player should look for food again. I'm love this new hunger system so much already!

poncho0287
Pup
Pup

Post by poncho0287 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:56 pm

I can't wait for WolfQuest 3 to come out ^^

Myia
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Myia

Post by Myia » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:23 pm

I love the realism you're bringing to the game! keep it up guys. can't wait for wolfquest 3!

the pup issue is a good point though. there's not much time for rest and recooparation with all the predators trying to make a meal out of your family.

I also hope this doesn't make the game too linear though. i.e. hunt, eat, rest, repeat.

another thing to think about is if the rest needed would be changed depending on what kind of carcass you ate e.g. carcasses that were freshly killed by you or another would give you the most food and need the most time to digest whereas carcasses that were just a pile of guts and bones (carcasses in the last quarter of the decay metre) would not restore much and require the least amount of time to digest.

can't wait to see how you deal with this new mechanic.

Sycona
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Sycona

Post by Sycona » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:24 pm

I was thinking you’d add two seperate bars for hunger and health. This is a good idea as well because this way your wolf can get sick, and if your wolf is full but you were just damaged by an enemy, you could make it a bit more realistic. Players could regain health by sleeping and letting wounds heal like when your wolf is full and energy is low. Looking good!

Sycona
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Sycona

Post by Sycona » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:34 pm

I have hungry like the wolf by Duran Duran stuck in my head now. Keep up he good work :)

Poa
Pup
Pup
Name: Twister

Post by Poa » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:57 pm

This is great for realism, but I'm slightly worried about hunting in preparation for pups. What if you need to heal, and then you can't hunt for your pups. Oh well. I guess I'll see when the time comes.

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:13 pm

Cool! I agree it is easy to forget that wolves and other animals aren't eating on the same schedule as humans are! The game is being tweaked in so many ways. Can't wait to try it out.

Invar
Pup
Pup

Post by Invar » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:58 am

What I'd love to see, to go with this:

I wag and bow, if you (or my AI mate in single) wag and bow back, we're in 'play mode' and we can run around doing the new hunt-moves on one another, but with no damage. If we're full, we'll get tired and flop down after a minute. If one earned xp in play that would also cut down on the overhunting. One might also earn xp for chasing the herd and separating out a weaker animal, without necessarily taking it any further.

It'd be hilarious and great if sometimes a carcass would, when mostly/completely consumed, spawn a Particularly Interesting Bone that you could carry about, and play fight over, and try to get two wolves biting-and-holding at the same time for tug-of-war. Maybe there's an Exceptionally Good Abandoned Boot around that one might find, and a Fascinatingly Amusing Stick with the same properties.

44wolfquest
Pup
Pup

Post by 44wolfquest » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:35 am

Wow! This is so realistic it's cool! I see how this will make players act like real wolves! Just... Wow!

Swift Wind
Pup
Pup

Post by Swift Wind » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:44 am

Seems like a potential mistake. Cats spend 70% of their lives asleep, but replicating lethargy does not constitute rewarding gameplay. While realistic, making the character sleep away time or perform on reduced stats seems like negative reinforcement for completing a successful hunt.

Whirl-Oakpaw
Pup
Pup

Post by Whirl-Oakpaw » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:33 pm

Now, I really like a lot of the changes you guys are making to the new game. And this is great from the standpoint that it's more realistic, but I think it's really counter-intuitive from a gameplay standpoint.

When you're playing a video game, you would expect that eating something would increase your health and stamina, not lower it. It seems like it would be really frustrating for a player to discover that in order to increase your health, you have to sacrifice stamina. And without an on-screen explanation, I don't think most people will understand *why* eating would lower their stamina, which would lead to further frustration.

I guess the choice is between being realistic, and making the game more entertaining and video-game like. I like that WolfQuest puts a lot of emphasis on realism and tries to make things accurate when it comes to real wolf behavior, but I just think that something like this is going to detract from the game experience rather than add to it. It's an interesting fact that wolves get more tired after they eat, but how important is it to convey that aspect of wolf behavior to the player? Is it worth making the game that much more frustrating? And like the user Swift Wind said above, it feels like a negative reinforcment for the player completing a hunt that will discourage people from wanting to play the game properly. I can already picture myself avoiding hunting for as long as possible so I don't lose the stamina boost.

I don't think adding this level of realism, at least in this particular way, is worth the sacrifice in fun and rewarding gameplay.

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:01 pm

i really like the way this is looking. Honestly the old system has always been a slight gripe of mine; this looks a lot more realistic and awesome.